• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008 edited
    There'll be five (!) film music concerts in Ghent in October. The festival will end with the World Soundtrack Awards, with a concert of Badalamenti and Marianelli.

The second concert has been announced, but it's rather ... not interesting. It's called "That's All Folk!" and I thought it would've been one with Robert Folk, alas, it's just folk music from films.

On Friday 17 October, the Ghent Film Festival will be presenting “That’s All Folk!”, a film music concert by folk rock sensation Kadril at the De Bijloke music centre in Ghent. The programme will include tracks from Brokeback Mountain, Black Cat White Cat, and Vengo. Get ready for some arm-swinging, hip-swaying folksy fun, against a backdrop of big screen film clips.

http://www.filmfestival.be/about.cgi?go … mp;lang=en

rolleyes

But I'm looking forward to the announcements of the other concerts! cheesy
    Kazoo
  1. 5 concerts?

Now at least one of those 3 is the free concert on the 21st of july, but the other 2 hopefully are as interesting. Funny, it seems we Belgians are becoming the world leader in film music concerts tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    The free one is not part of the festival I think, as it's like 3 months earlier. wink
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    The free one is not part of the festival I think, as it's like 3 months earlier. wink

ow, then this could be good tongue

You're going Bregt the 21st?
    Tell me you're going, if not I'll drag your sorry ass to it biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    I'm in Ghent around that time, for obvious reasons.
    So I'll be there fore sure!
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    I'm in Ghent around that time, for obvious reasons.
    So I'll be there fore sure!

ah good, so then we're at least with 2 who can throw tomatos to Brosse's Face biggrin
  4. Why would you throw that fine vegetable to one of our country's most respected conductors?

Seriously Tommy, sometimes the way your mind works frightens me. confused
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Why would you throw that fine vegetable to one of our country's most respected conductors?

Seriously Tommy, sometimes the way your mind works frightens me. confused

That's Joep's doing, he made me what I am today
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2008
    LOL! I'm proud that you've learned so much from me....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008
    New concert announced

October 15th 2008 - Ghent

Gabriel Yared to Pay Homage to Anthony Minghella at the 35th Annual Ghent Film Festival

For the 35th edition of the Ghent Film Festival (7-18 October), acclaimed composer Gabriel Yared will be honouring director Anthony Minghella, who sadly passed away earlier this year. Yared had been Minghella’s trusted composer for years, penning the scores for The English Patient, Cold Mountain and The Talented Mr Ripley. The concert is a co-production between the Ghent Film Festival and Hogeschool Ghent and will be held on 15 October at the Ghent Conservatory of Music.

Gabriel Yared is one of the most accomplished and influential composers of his generation. Born in Lebanon, he began composing film music in France in the 80’s, establishing his reputation with more than 70 soundtracks for the likes of Jean-Luc Godard and Jean-Jacques Annaud. Yared is best known for his longstanding collaboration with British director Anthony Minghella. Over the years, he has scored a number of Minghella projects including The English Patient, Cold Mountain, The Talented Mr Ripley and Breaking and Entering.

Yared won an Oscar for his soundtrack for The English Patient as well as a Golden Globe and a Grammy. He came close again with nominations for The Talented Mr Ripley and Cold Mountain . With Cold Mountain, he had a night of glory at the 2004 World Soundtrack Awards, winning both Composer of the Year and Best Original Soundtrack. The film music concert at the Ghent Conservatory on 15 October will pay tribute to musical soulmates Yared and director Minghella, who passed away earlier this year at the tender age of 54. The concert will also feature favourites from The Moon in the Gutter and Betty Blue by Jean-Jacques Beineix and The Lover and Wings of Courage by Jean-Jacques Annaud.

The music will be performed by a chamber orchestra and soprano solo, and not by a symphony orchestra. A deliberate decision by Yared to preserve the intimacy of the concert and his music. The concert is a co-production between the Flanders Film Festival and Hogeschool Ghent, a new Festival sponsor as of this year. As part of this new partnership, the Festival has arranged for Gabriel Yared to give a film music seminar to Conservatory students later this year.

Concert tickets available from Fnac: www.fnac.be - 0900 00 600 (€0.45/min)
    For more information, go to www.filmfestival.be

(source: http://www.filmmuziek.com/news.cgi?go=d … mp;lang=en)

Another 3 concerts will be announced the coming weeks.
    Kazoo
  6. how interesting this sounds like, I'll pass this one up
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I get confused about all these concerts in and around Europe? There seems to be so many of them! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Europe; rules!!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. If it contains music as performed last year in Madrid then it should be well worth hearing.

Ah, this time last year... sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Another concert is added to the event
    http://www.filmfestival.be/about.cgi?go … mp;lang=en

For the 35th edition of the Ghent Film Festival (7-18 October), Clint Mansell and Sonus Quartet will be performing atmospheric tunes from Darren Aronofsky films (Pi, Requiem For A Dream, The Fountain). Like Aronofsky in the film world, Mansell has garnered an immense cult following for his soundtrack work, known for its dark, hypnotic beauty. The concert will be held on 16 October in the theatre hall at the Vooruit.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    AWESOME!!! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    YES, it's awesome, and NO I don't like the fact it's held at a time I'M in Frankfurt! crazy

"yeah, sure, let's keep that concert on a day HE can't come!", ooohhh, I am SO gonna talk to Clint about this that saturday at the WSA! "Hey, I was the one who voted for you last year!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Damn. That really sucks. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Which quartet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, it is awesome! For you guys, then. And, no problem. I'm sure it'll be so immensely popular, they'll have to plan a second concert later that weekend. On the sunday. I'll talk Clint into it. Just give the man a few beers and go on about loving The Fountain so much. Easy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Which quartet?

4 randomly chosen people who happen to know what a cello is. No big deal. I'm not missing anything. And the rockband will not be Mogwai, but some other fellas. Metallica, or something. Huge letdown.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    Which quartet?

Does that matter?

It's an LA based quartet, who performed on movie scores previously, including Mansell.
    http://www.sonusquartet.com/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bob, Is that ironic or am i just too tired to get your tone as you mean it?

I wasn't implying anything, i was just asking 'cause to present their name i thought it was either a typo (small chance) or they are another popular string quartet or something otherwise it would just mention 'accompanied by string quartet', or smth. Apparently they're well-known, i just happen to not know them. Their similarity (in the name) with the Kronos Quartet is what intrigued me.

People need to loosen up a bit around this forum these days. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bob, Is that ironic or am i just too tired to get your tone as you mean it?

Ironic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    People need to loosen up a bit around this forum these days. rolleyes

Hey, I didn't meant it as a statement of "why do you care' or so, not at all. I'm very enthusiastic at the moment and I thought you meant it was not good enough. wink

Sorry. dizzy moon kiss (the last one should be for your girlfriend)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, ok Bob. Let go a bit, and calm down. Maybe actually READ what i wrote 2 posts back as well? Jeez
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    kiss (the last one should be for your girlfriend)

You can kiss me instead if you like... ooh, er, did I just say that out aloud?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, ok Bob. Let go a bit, and calm down. Maybe actually READ what i wrote 2 posts back as well? Jeez

What are you talking about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    NO!

HE IS MINE, YOU HEAR ME?

MINE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's IT!