• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008 edited
    omaha wrote
    European and japanese reactions to Obama's win.
    Cracks me up.
    Were any of you guys this excited?

Yeah, there was much elation and ululation (and celebrtation) in The Netherlands as well. The nigh-thermadorian reactions in Europe when a Democrat gets elected harken back to Kennedy, I think. That's around the same time "Republican" was equated to "evil" over here. It probably has a lot to do with the legacy from Vietnam and Watergate (fueled in no small part by the left to extreme-left sentiments in the late sixties pervading Europe. The USSR did an absolutely bang-up job with that one, creating -or at the very least endorsing and supporting- an emotional and psychological communial framework that has outlasted its political creator!)

Anyway, whenever a Democrat is elected, there's always this weird, almost religious sense of salvation, change and a new era.

Yes, this president will be historic: it's first black president. That IS a big deal. And I for one have been proven wrong as I would have put money on the fact that the first black president would have been a Republican. But as for new eras and "change"?
    Of course not.
    Business as usual, with some trimming here and there.
    But I can see how, for twenty-year olds, becoming politically aware, this may seem an overwhelming change. I remember my very first reaction to Reagan being elected, and it was very comparable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008
    I'm looking forward to the change
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009
    Boy! It's a weird world we live in when an Onion article from early 2001 isn't sarcasm but reality-
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28784?Revisit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009
    Anyone hear watching his inauguration?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Anyone here even!?? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuck sake. I'm very pissed off with myself at the moment...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Fuck sake. I'm very pissed off with myself at the moment...

Nothing serious I hope?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Um, cause of the 'hear' thing...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

I'm sure some Americans will.

Not sure what the relevance for anyone else is. dizzy
    It's just another foreign president.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    He is THE PRESIDENT OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, top of the world would be Cody Jarrett.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

I'm sure some Americans will.

Not sure what the relevance for anyone else is. dizzy
    It's just another foreign president.

Well excuuuuuse me for thinking it an historic event. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Historic?
    Don't we have one every four years?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    *sigh*

Fine. Whatever.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Um, cause of the 'hear' thing...?

I'm sure you're get me back soon wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Whatever.

No no, I've carefully researched it, and it is in fact every four years!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Besides Martijn's homour, i don't think it's a historic event either. Things will essentially be either the same or even worse and people will soon realize Obama's yet another american president. I am on the side of people who believe events and history carry people along and not that isolated human beings can actually make THAT difference, despite how many will attribute the will of the many and the will of the entire world to one single person, from time to time, throughout history.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I find it most interesting that in this extremely important historical moment in the history of the United States and the world to a lesser extent this site/board doesn't even a thread for it.
    Thomas sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Are we missing something here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think we are
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, if someone actually explains why, i might get it; 'cause for me it's not.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Besides Martijn's homour, i don't think it's a historic event either. Things will essentially be either the same or even worse and people will soon realize Obama's yet another american president. I am on the side of people who believe events and history carry people along and not that isolated human beings can actually make THAT difference, despite how many will attribute the will of the many and the will of the entire world to one single person, from time to time, throughout history.

NOT a Historic event!???? you friggin kidding me D!!!?

It's the first BLACK President of the United States and that fact alone makes it a world changing and Historic event.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You've only to look at a short timeline of colonial America to realise it's quite a significant event. Of course Martijn and D will have you believe otherwise, but... who's listening to them!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i don't pay particular attention to people's colours. Wait and SEE if he'll actually bring the difference first and then count it in as a historical event, i say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009 edited
    OK.
    Perspective.
    The election was a historical event in the sense that for the first time in its history, the population of only remaining military super power elected a leader who ostentatiously is a member of a racial minority.

That IS interesting, as it shows that certain considerations -such as colour- simply have vanished over a relatively short period of time.
    It is however not THAT big a deal as -minoritywise- a point could be made that John Kennedy already paved the way, being the first non-Protestant president having been elected.
    But I agree that it is a wonderful and very symbolic step forwards.

But that's it.
    Obama's platform is no different from any other Democratic one.
    And the inauguration is not "historic": it's a bureaucratic formailty. A song-and-dance where the torch is passed. Sure, it's gonna be a big party, but neither sociologically or politically it means anything more than a new president taking office.

I haven't watched Sarkozy being inaugurated in Paris.
    I haven't watched Medvedev taking the reigns in Russia.
    I haven't been particularly interested in seeing Bamir Topi being sworn in in Tirana, and all I want to see from Zimbabwe's Mugabe is his bullet-riddled corpse.

I see no added value in seeing Obama sworn in.
    I'm sure Beyoncé (or whoever) will give a great performance.
    And I sincerely wish all spectators an enjoyable experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is quite historic and in my opinion Obama will have far reaching influence. As far as Martijn and D go...Blah
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009 edited
    ^ Martijn......Word. There's so much stuff going on in the world these days, so much BAD and worrying stuff, look around you. A shifting of asses in the white house 's chair is not in my personal priorities these days even if that ass is black- despite the fact that i was actually glad he won, but up to that point, i won't go bananas beyond that.

Tom , "blah" is the average response americans will face anyone who has arguments against america actually being he center of the world. That and its variations, like "meh". It saddens me to see this coming from you but i won't loose my sleep at night either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, i don't pay particular attention to people's colours. Wait and SEE if he'll actually bring the difference first and then count it in as a historical event, i say.

You may not, but history has.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I am a patient man, and will gladly return here in four (and quite probably eight) years time to point out the overwhelming sameness of the world in comparison to the time when Obama took the reigns in the USA. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Exactly