• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, i don't pay particular attention to people's colours. Wait and SEE if he'll actually bring the difference first and then count it in as a historical event, i say.

You may not, but history has.

History has attributed a simple "tag". He, being the first black president in the history of the US. But beyond that, excuse me whilst i don't think that the world and its problems revolve around the US president's colour.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^ Martijn......Word. There's so much stuff going on in the world these days, so much BAD and worrying stuff, look around you. A shifting of asses in the white house 's chair is not in my personal priorities these days even if that ass is black- despite the fact that i was actually glad he won, but up to that point, i won't go bananas beyond that.

Yes yes, we all get it. You're not American. Neither am I. I'm not saying it's something to be overly excited about. But it's still an historic event particularly if he manages to choose the right words for his speech. People decide history, and clearly they've decided this is part of it - whether you agree or not. I just hope all the hype is worth it.

Tom , "blah" is the average response americans will face anyone who has arguments against america actually being he center of the world. That and its variations, like "meh". It saddens me to see this coming from you but i won't loose my sleep at night either.

It may not be the centre, but it sure likes to think it is. Which is enough to reason to take notice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sure he'll choose the right words to say and the whole thingy will be flashy and expensive enough. But what about that? I will be glad, the day he chooses the right acts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, i don't pay particular attention to people's colours. Wait and SEE if he'll actually bring the difference first and then count it in as a historical event, i say.

History has attributed a simple "tag". He, being the first black president in the history of the US. But beyond that, excuse me whilst i don't think that the world and its problems revolve around the US president's colour.

They don't. Nobody has said that except you.

But you're forgetting America's history of racial injustice. Take that into account (which is pretty unavoidable) and you finally see why a black president is quite a big deal, if just for its symbolism.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

^
    word
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    People decide history, and clearly they've decided this is part of it

Isn't that like saying Transformers is the greatest film ever because in the summer of 2007 everyone loved it?

Thing is that you have to wait a bit to ascertain what "history" is.

(The US) may not be the centre, but it sure likes to think it is. Which is enough to reason to take notice.

Paris Hilton thinks she's the center of the world.
    We take notice...but just by raising our eyebrows and shaking our heads.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Well I think I will agree with D and Martijn on this one. First of all I don't pay attention to people's colour either. Of course it's important that America overcame a taboo for them but I believe we do have to wait until he actually produces work to see if our hopes are justified. And yes, I have placed some hope on Obama, not because I think Amrica is the centre of the world, not by a far chance, (permit me to have the opinion since I've studied american culture and politics for my BA and I have shaped my opinion after careful thought), but I've placed hope on him because he is a young man, with a fresher way of thinking. As Martijn said I can wait.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

But you're forgetting America's history of racial injustice. Take that into account (which is pretty unavoidable) and you finally see why a black president is quite a big deal, if just for its symbolism.

Exactly. I would suggest talking with some average black people and see how they feel about it D.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Obama is like Jackie Robinson was to baseball. No one is talking politics here. It is a historic event.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Again, we seem to be confusing "election" with "inauguration" here.

Election: interesting sociological shift, and undisputed historical occasion.
    Inauguration: Democrat being sworn in. Formal bureaucratic act.

And like every president I will wait and see what happens in the coming few years which will pose numerous challenges to the US. Black president or no.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Today is when he officially takes office. We have that gray period.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And then it fades to black.

biggrin

(Sorry. I had to. shame )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Again, we seem to be confusing "election" with "inauguration" here.

Election: interesting sociological shift, and undisputed historical occasion.
    Inauguration: Democrat being sworn in. Formal bureaucratic act.

And like every president I will wait and see what happens in the coming few years which will pose numerous challenges to the US. Black president or no.

I understand what you're saying Martijn but it is still the fact that from this day forth he is officially the president
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What goes around comes around cheesy
  1. He's the president NOW smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I understand what you're saying Martijn but it is still the fact that from this day forth he is officially the president

And I honestly understand what you and Steven and Tom are saying, but to me it's no more than a ritual. A confirmation.
    It's not like he wasn't gonna be president once the elections were over.

But I fully recognize and understand the need for these rituals.
    They are the marker stones of life. And history.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    What goes around comes around cheesy

I'll watch my step. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    The John Williams piece was ok, didn't grab me, anyway, my 2 cents and I am not a Obama supporter, disclaimer there, it is a historic event , first black president , how more historic do you want, anyway peace everyone, the USA has a "new " pres,, the balls in his court , lets see how he plays it.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    moonie wrote
    The John Williams piece was ok, didn't grab me,

I forgot that Williams was doing a thing there! shocked
    I'm sure it'll leak to YouTube momentarily, though.

What was it like, Moonie?
    Comparable to any of his other works?

lets see how he plays it.

That's really the thing that interests me.
    There a historic (there's that damn word again! angry ) opportunity to very fundamentally shake up -and in many ways shaPe up- a society. (I'm thinking about a tax restructuring... wonder if that ever is going to happen!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Very very very difficult time for this country. I've read articles about doing away with the minimum wage and relaxing labor laws. That scares me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah...it's that kind of economic attitude that is NOT going to help.
    Breaking the country open to the pure forces of market economy will save the economy...but will utterly destroy many, many people.

The only short-term solution is raising taxes.
    A lot.

But there isn't a president in the history of the US who's had balls enough to do that (except for FDR, who really knew how to handle crises and didn't need to compromise on every single turn).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A tough but needed decision. I agree
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    The Williams piece , its more a classical piece , not filmscore, so Tom may be able to give a good comparison .
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Exactly. I would suggest talking with some average black people and see how they feel about it D.

Will that make it a worldwide historical event?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Tim, I think it's best we just give up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

edit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Tim, I think it's best we just give up.

Thanks for the pointer, I will.

Done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    By the way, his speech was excellent. Quite the showman. Now, I just hope he can carry on those words with actions... :crossedfingers:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    By the way, his speech was excellent. Quite the showman. Now, I just hope he can carry on those words with actions... :crossedfingers:

Yeap! His oratory skills are the polar opposite of his predecessor,
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    All hail President Palmer!

44,000 security guys are posted around the area apparantly. shocked