• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    That settles it. I'll vote for Obama! I'm not an american citizen, but I'll vote anyway.

Peter smile
  1. I would too, actually.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I vote for tits.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

worth a bump....or two wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Michelle Obama came to my university yesterday. I think she had 10,000 attendees.
  2. Anything interesting she said?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008
    I didn't go. I had a major test to study for. In fact, I pulled an all nighter. Now, I'm pulling another one at a crazy lock in with over 50 high school students. I want sleep!!!!!! Then I work an 8 hour shift tomorrow. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=eec_1224891825

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQkSwifTAMA&sdig=1

As a student of biology I'm absolutely amazed that anyone can be so arrogant and mindnumbingly ignorant of science to make a statement like that. I can imagine that McCain burst into tears when he saw it.

Peter shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    She is retarded.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Here's a video to make you laugh, and not because one the candidates is making an ass of themselves.

http://www.jibjab.com/originals/time_fo … campaignin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    Bregt wrote
    She is retarded.

Our very own young William is also a creationist if I remember correctly. What do we all think of him I wonder?

For the record, I like him - the fact that he is deeply religious does not blind me from seeing a decent person.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008 edited
    Is he? I never had the idea he was a creationist. And of course, it's not a a generalization!

Palin does so much wrong, I wonder if she does it with purpose.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But of course, it'd be silly to generalize. We are talking specifically here and Palin, my GOD she is retarded or not! Her actions, her background, her sayings, every fudging thing that has to do with her and comes from her is utterly retarded it almost aches.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I think even Bush in comparison in an intelligent and skilled politician. I mean he understands the fine art of not alienating his base (by hinting he's a creationist) but also to listen to his science advisor (by not actually pursuing it politically). Of course he've said many funny things over the years, but I don't think he would ever make such a rookie and thoughtless comment as Palin did at such a crucial moment.

I've met many highly intelligent and educated republicans over my years on the internet, and I'm sure Palin have given them grave concerns. If she states things with such an arrogant certainty, based on nothing but her own ignorance, I think she could be a great risk in a position of such power.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    But of course, it'd be silly to generalize. We are talking specifically here and Palin, my GOD she is retarded or not! Her actions, her background, her sayings, every fudging thing that has to do with her and comes from her is utterly retarded it almost aches.

She should stay out of politics and stick to what she's good at which is Moose worrying! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or................... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

She should stay out of politics and stick to what she's good at which is Moose worrying! tongue

btw, think about how many individual politicians around the globe fit to that comment. Sad.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

btw, think about how many individual politicians around the globe fit to that comment. Sad.

Under a different sarky banner but yeah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Unfortunately a lot of people agree with her, at least with the non-science, creationist bullshit. It's depressing that humans can be so dumb when we can be so intelligent. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Unfortunately a lot of people agree with her, at least with the non-science, creationist bullshit. It's depressing that humans can be so dumb when we can be so intelligent. sad

Hey pal. I know you feel this is complete truth to you, but not to everybody. When you state your beliefs, no need to insult others who feel differently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008 edited
    omaha wrote
    Hey pal. I know you feel this is complete truth to you, but not to everybody. When you state your beliefs, no need to insult others who feel differently.

I'd agree that "dumb" is an unfortunate word to use. I've debated with many highly intelligent creationists over the years. What they share are some very strong biases and frequently huge holes in their scientific knowledge, but they can in fact be very intelligent.

That said, there are some unfortunate tendancies among the religious right, an example being the anti-science, pro-ignorance stances that Palin appealed to in the above link, which will be very harmful to society if carried out politically. Notice in her statement that she was talking about how to prioritize funding, and she followed that up by disparaging essential research because "they really don't make a whole lotta sense", as she said. If she'd made a thoughtless comment alone, that could have been understandable and forgivable, but when she actually states that she intends to let her prejudiced anti-science stance dictate her policies, that should be a concern to anyone who doesn't share her ignorance.

The greatest breakthroughs of genetics were done using fruit flies. Fruit fly experiments affirmed the Chromosome Theory of Inheritence, and extensive cross-breeding experiments was used to map the genes and reveal other properties of the then mysterious hereditary molecules. These model organisms are still widely used today, and they continue to reveal new knowledge about development, mechanisms of evolution, gene expression, the effect of mutations etc.

The fields of genetics is one of the great breakthroughs of the 20th century, and many people would be amazed to realize the impact it has had on our societies, especially relating agriculture, medicine and in the end our economies. These advances impact all our lifes, from Joe the plumber to Flo the waitress, whether Joe or Flo realize it or not.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    omaha wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You can 'hey pal' me all you like, but if you take a step back for a moment you can see I'm not stating my beliefs, not least in the way you're used to. I am not saying that Allah is the truth, I am not saying Jesus will save us all, I'm not even saying I believe there is no god. No. I'm simply saying that a non-scientific approach to political issues and the decision to teach creationism in schools is complete and utter nonsense. It's certainly my belief that any person who thinks like that should not be given any amount of power in politics, but a belief like that is not a faith-based belief. That's the crucial difference.

What's insulting is that any Joe schmo thinks he (or she) has some God-given knowledge (or faith, whatever word suits their point best) about the way the universe works, about perhaps how life originated, over people who have dedicated their lives to studying the real world, people who have spent thousands of dollars, pounds, euros, etc. in education. People who know a great deal more about the facts than you or I do. That's what I find insulting. (And before the religious moderates jump down my throat, I'm only having a go at blind-sighted faith here. Faith that ignores reason - which it certainly doesn't always necessarily have to.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008
    word
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Steven wrote
    omaha wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You can 'hey pal' me all you like, but if you take a step back for a moment you can see I'm not stating my beliefs, not least in the way you're used to. I am not saying that Allah is the truth, I am not saying Jesus will save us all, I'm not even saying I believe there is no god. No. I'm simply saying that a non-scientific approach to political issues and the decision to teach creationism in schools is complete and utter nonsense. It's certainly my belief that any person who thinks like that should not be given any amount of power in politics, but a belief like that is not a faith-based belief. That's the crucial difference.

What's insulting is that any Joe schmo thinks he (or she) has some God-given knowledge (or faith, whatever word suits their point best) about the way the universe works, about perhaps how life originated, over people who have dedicated their lives to studying the real world, people who have spent thousands of dollars, pounds, euros, etc. in education. People who know a great deal more about the facts than you or I do. That's what I find insulting. (And before the religious moderates jump down my throat, I'm only having a go at blind-sighted faith here. Faith that ignores reason - which it certainly doesn't always necessarily have to.)

Hey, I'm with you on faith ignoring reason. Faith should withstand reason.

And just because someone has spent tons of money on education it doesn't mean they know how the earth began. No one was there. There are no hard facts. I think that in school this neither creationism nor the creation of the world under evolution should be taught. Leave that up to the parents.

So, Hey pal. My only complaint was you stating that those that believe in creationism are dumb. Science has taken many facts and made many assumptions and interpretations and theories. There are many loose ends and other things that cannot be explained. Do I call you dumb for agreeing with these highly educated guesses 100% percent, where from the human view point can't see nor understand the big picture or big scope of things. The way humans think they know everything is funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    At least science doesn't lay down its discoveries as dogma's, but tries to explain them by reason.

Anyway, Elfman speaks out about this witch, his Greatest Fear
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danny-elf … 39246.html

And the campaign he set up can be found here:
    www.ourgreatestfear.org

Real Halloween stuff!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    omaha wrote

And just because someone has spent tons of money on education it doesn't mean they know how the earth began. No one was there. There are no hard facts.

True, but they are far more well-informed about such as things as you and I are. Call me crazy, but I'd trust their collective opinions more than a story from a fictional book any day.

So, Hey pal. My only complaint was you stating that those that believe in creationism are dumb. Science has taken many facts and made many assumptions and interpretations and theories. There are many loose ends and other things that cannot be explained. Do I call you dumb for agreeing with these highly educated guesses 100% percent, where from the human view point can't see nor understand the big picture or big scope of things. The way humans think they know everything is funny.

One of the first things that a good scientist will admit is how little he or she (and indeed all of us) really know. A person of faith who believes scientists believe they know everything is an unfortunate and common assumption amongst religious people.

I also did not directly accuse every creationist of being 'dumb', but I will not pussyfoot around these issues. I just think the idea is dumb, or at least it is if someone believes it without having looked at the facts. If they have and still believe it, it is up to them to argue their point intelligibly much like the evolutionist would.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    omaha wrote

And just because someone has spent tons of money on education it doesn't mean they know how the earth began. No one was there. There are no hard facts.

Forensic science has the same problem. By carefully examining the evidence left behind one can establish with a high degree of certainty what went on in the past. Certain theories have so much supporting evidence converging from various fields that they can be considered proven beyond reasonable doubt, and you'd essentially be denying a piece of reality by dismissing them. Of course nothing in life can ever be considered proven 100%. Perhaps the computer screen you're currently looking at doesn't even exist, and life might all be a dream or we might all be living in the Matrix. Or perhaps a mischievous gnome have planted all the evidence for common ancestry in the ground, our anatomy and DNA to play games with us. But until the day conflicting evidence is discovered, you might as well act as if your computer screen is standing in front of you, and we might as well act as if the evidence found for common ancestry reflects reality.

omaha wroteI think that in school this neither creationism nor the creation of the world under evolution should be taught.

You're showing a serious misunderstanding that creationists frequently adhere to, by saying that evolution has something to do with the creation of the world. It doesn't. What's commonly referred to as The Theory of Evolution is a biological theory concerning the diversification of species. It doesn't explain the formation of the universe, or the formation of the planet, or the appearance of life. It explains how life has evolved from a common ancestor and continues to evolve. All scientific theories have strictly defined areas that they seek to explain, they don't and can't explain anything outside of those areas. Of course one can hear the word "evolution" used in other contexts, but that's simply because the word means "change over time". No doubt this lack of understanding of the words have confused many professional creationists (Hovind being one example).

omaha wroteLeave that up to the parents.

Why not simply teach children about the best and up-to-date theories scientists have to offer? Why choose to exclude certain theories?

omaha wroteThe way humans think they know everything is funny.

Indeed. What's even funnier is how ignorance and certainty sometimes go hand in hand. When laymen who've encountered some propaganda on the internet or heard a passionate speech at their church suddenly convince themselves that they know more about a subject than people who've dedicated most of their lifes to that subject, that is when it becomes truly hilarious.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...and that's why I love Peter. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    biggrin