• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2008
    is that REALLY going to be the cover? vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Riiiiiiiiight.

Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    First play of the new Bond tune:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music … 622911.stm

I. AM. NOT. IMPRESSED.

Still yet to hear. Better or worse than DAD though?

I don't think anything can get any worse than DAD.

-Erik-

Correct! Mad Donna is the bench mark for bad Bond songs.

I have to admit that after hearing AWTD a couple more times it's not as bad as first thought, It won't be a classic by any stretch but IMO it's better than Mad donna's ( easily done ) or Garbage ( apt name )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Contradicting yourself here Thor.

How so?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Yes but the problem is they are (all) ripped from previous songs. Even if not all of them are, it sounds too much like a spoof Bond song than a proper one. slant

Really? I think it's totally fresh. I've never heard a Bond song before that utilizes hints of hip hop, r&b, alternative rock and funk. And mixes it all with the classic minor-mode, "drama" harmonies and the brass outbursts. It certainly doesn't sound like a SPOOF. For that, it needs to stick closer to the Barry template and exaggerate the features of that.

You say it has "classic minor mode harmonies and the brass outbursts", which is Barry's trademark Bond sound and then you say it needs to stick closer to the Barry template for it to sound like a "spoof".

I wouldn't say any of the non-Barry Bond songs have been "spoofs" but certainly "Surrender" from TND and "Goldeneye" are more pastiche.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2008 edited
    How's this for a "spoof" Bond song....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wQA2CR2cGZ4

Has Scott Walker got a voice or what! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Yes but the problem is they are (all) ripped from previous songs. Even if not all of them are, it sounds too much like a spoof Bond song than a proper one. slant

Really? I think it's totally fresh. I've never heard a Bond song before that utilizes hints of hip hop, r&b, alternative rock and funk. And mixes it all with the classic minor-mode, "drama" harmonies and the brass outbursts. It certainly doesn't sound like a SPOOF. For that, it needs to stick closer to the Barry template and exaggerate the features of that.

You say it has "classic minor mode harmonies and the brass outbursts", which is Barry's trademark Bond sound and then you say it needs to stick closer to the Barry template for it to sound like a "spoof".

I wouldn't say any of the non-Barry Bond songs have been "spoofs" but certainly "Surrender" from TND and "Goldeneye" are more pastiche.

Ah, but there's a big difference. It can have some of the classic ELEMENTS without sticking particularly close to the original TEMPLATE. The fact that it combines so many different genres (hip hop, r&b, funk, alternative rock) that have never been that associated with the Bond songs before, makes it different enough to be its own thing. The Bond elements are mere "spice". The song you linked to, on the other hand, is a good spoof that sticks very close to the Bond sound in genre, style, orchestration, voice, you name it!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote

Ah, but there's a big difference. It can have some of the classic ELEMENTS without sticking particularly close to the original TEMPLATE. The fact that it combines so many different genres (hip hop, r&b, funk, alternative rock) that have never been that associated with the Bond songs before, makes it different enough to be its own thing. The Bond elements are mere "spice". The song you linked to, on the other hand, is a good spoof that sticks very close to the Bond sound in genre, style, orchestration, voice, you name it!

Well, I never said the new song sounded like a spoof. The fact that it uses minor mode melodies and brass outbhursts means it does stick to the Barry template, just not as strictly as the likes of Goldeneye or 'Surrender'.
  1. Listening to the short clip of the new song, there does seem to be an undercurrent of Bondishness* about the tune. But all that "modern" stuff is just... vomit

*another new word?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    David's off to Abbey Road today to master the soundtrack. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

For anyone living near Abbey Rd ( St. Johns Wood, London ) try popping along and see if you can sit on a session!?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

For anyone living near Abbey Rd ( St. Johns Wood, London ) try popping along and see if you can sit on a session!?

If I had the day off work I know I'd head up there! I know Panasonic do a lot of promotional stuff there, but working in the CCTV department ( cool ) I don't see myself going there. sad
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008
    Unconfirmed Quantum Of Solace tracklist:

1. Time To Get Out
    2. The Palio
    3. Inside Man
    4. Bond In Haiti
    5. Somebody Wants To Kill You
    6. Greene & Camille
    7. Pursuit At Port Au Prince
    8. No Interest In Dominic Greene
    9. Night At The Opera
    10. Restrict Bond’s Movements
    11. Talamone
    12. What’s Keeping You Awake
    13. Bolivian Taxi Ride
    14. Field Trip
    15. Forgive Yourself
    16. DC3
    17. Target Terminated
    18. Camille’s Story
    19. Oil Fields
    20. Have You Ever Killed Someone?
    21. Perla De Las Dunas
    22. The Dead Don’t Care About Vengeance
    23. I Never Left
    24. Another Way To Die (Jack White & Alicia Keys)
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    when is the release date?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    26th October.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    ah, yes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Before I read that track list, are there any major spoilers like "Death of Vesper"?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    David wrote
    Before I read that track list, are there any major spoilers like "Death of Vesper"?

No. Most of it is just quotes pulled from the trailer (which makes me think it might not be real). The rest just doesn't mean anything to me anyway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    Why not wait till it comes out? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Heh, at last a voice similar to my thoughts today when i saw this heh
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Heh, at last a voice similar to my thoughts today when i saw this heh

To yer health bro beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Why not wait till it comes out? rolleyes

Absofrigginlutely Timmer. Couldn't care less about finding out track names and running times at this point - it's an Arnold/Bond album, it will probably be just like the last one in terms of album presentation.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008 edited
    Everywhere is showing the track listing above now so I assume it's correct. Play.com looks like the cheapest place to buy from in the UK at 8.95 with free shipping.

Has the album cover grown on anyone else? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, absolutely hideous according to the largest portion of responses as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Absolutely not. Much better the one posted here (I don´t remember if it was made by Anthony though).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Absolutely not. Much better the one posted here (I don´t remember if it was made by Anthony though).

If you mean this one, then yes. And thanks! kiss

I hated the official one when I first saw it, but it grows on me the more I look at it. (Same with the song too - the instrumental version at least).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

Yay, this was it smile
    I´d type "David Arnold" in a bigger font now that I look at it again; but the design is pretty good.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote

Any album cover with that absolutely gorgeous woman on is good enough for me. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

I hated the official one when I first saw it, but it grows on me the more I look at it. (Same with the song too - the instrumental version at least).

Not bad Ant but Bond with a big gun ( yeah yeah Freud blah blah ) just looks WRONG! Oh well, Times they are a changing as that old shit Dylan keeps singing.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

Not bad Ant but Bond with a big gun ( yeah yeah Freud blah blah ) just looks WRONG! Oh well, Times they are a changing as that old shit Dylan keeps singing.

What's NOT cool about a big gun? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    Anthony wrote

Any album cover with that absolutely gorgeous woman on is good enough for me. cheesy

As long as Steven doesn't see this biggrin

Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

What's NOT cool about a big gun? shocked

Man, if it ever turns out that Bond all these years was actually a small man who did everything with the help of blue pills, that will be the biggest scandal of them all!