• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    To Pawel, I'm all for spirituality. I think its importance is often downplayed, and a concept that religion has unfortunately hijacked. But I'm not so keen on it when it begins to make unjustifiable claims about the nature of reality. I have spiritual feelings and experiences towards art, music, nature and science and most importantly the people I love. But none of that requires me to believe in ghosts and goblins or leads me to conclude there is a benign Creator. It just means I'm capable of having such experiences. It means I have a complex brain capable of complex thought, awareness and experiences (depending on who you ask). That's it.

Not sure if hijacked. What was first, culturally? Theist spirituality or atheist spirituality? Then who would have "hijacked" that concept? One of the reasons why people were religious in the first place was the fact that yes, it made claims about the nature of reality, but if you look at the development of religious dogmas, they tend to (yes, takes them years, but eventually) adapt to whatever science brings in. No sane clergyman (SANE, mind you) would say that teaching about big bang in schools is a work of Satan, like a congressman in the US said about the theory of evolution once.

But again, it says more about psychology of people at hand than the religious system at hand. Religion can be treated, sometimes rightfully so, as "philosophy for dummies" and BTW, a philosophical background would be I think fairly useful for natural scientists as well, yes, but not necessarily always. Many times I have mentioned a Polish priest who is also a respected professor of physics in the field of cosmology. He accepts and believes in benign God, which defies the truth of nature and yet researches the creation of the physical world through purely scientific method.

The guy is heavily respected both as a physicist (by his peers, that is) and as a theologian (even got an award for it). What about this example?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013
    I'd say that religious dogma has remained the same since its inception. It's simply people's relaxed attitude to Iron Age philosophy that has molded religious moderation today. I suppose if religion were truly progressive, it wouldn't hold so fervently to an ancient book written by people who knew less about the world as a five year old does today! dizzy That one still befuddles me.

Not sure if hijacked.

Perhaps not hijacked. But religion, I think, often still likes to claim spirituality as its own. As a bystander to religion, to me it feels precisely the same as if it tried to claim cosmology as its own simply because it beget modern cosmology. smile
  2. Not as its own, but rather as the only "correct" or "true" spirituality, really, but that's pure semantics.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013
    Religion certainly has a knack for making you feel spiritual by the simple act of walking into a church. I do rather love churches. love
  3. Steven wrote
    But religion, I think, often still likes to claim spirituality as its own.

Depends what you mean by religion. If you mean particular religions claim spirituality as their own, well yes, just about anything monotheistic will do that. (Even then though many of those allow for alternative forms of spirituality to be valid, they just don't issue the pass to heaven.) Some with an eye to survivability in a multi-faith society have segued to allow for many paths to one goal.

But if you mean 'religion' in the abstract claims spirituality as it own, does the idea of religion claim anything? Given it's a word we use to describe most mass spiritual movements, religion is pretty much synonymous with spirituality in our parlance. And I'd contend that most mass spiritual movements that eschew the word 'religion' do so for the purpose of brand differentiation more than out of some semantic offence (whether to shrug off a sense of conservatism, extremism, legalism or being answerable to a larger movement). (Examples of eschewers would be particular organisations within the New Age movement, cults, to some extent the Pentecostal church does it in a light way...)

Slightly different topic... The spirituality you speak of is based at the individual level. You can really believe what you choose -- you don't have to adhere to the precepts of a movement. Does your own spirituality at times disconnect from your rational beliefs? (You don't have to give any examples or anything if it's too personal.) Or is it purely connected to feelings that derive from provable objects, arguments, etc (by whatever burden of proof)? E.g. David Attenborough once claimed his spirituality was for things like Bach's music. But there's nothing irrational there -- subject to certain conditions, a piece of music is something that has an effect on people that is detectable and reproducible.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013
    Hmm, I'd say my own "spirituality" is simply a feeling of elation and awe. I think we all feel that when we hear and pay attention to our favourite pieces of music, for example! I probably wouldn't describe myself as deeply spiritual, but I have 'spiritual' tendencies, particularly towards nature and music. But none of these experiences disconnect me from rationality or alter my beliefs about reality, merely my place in reality (and that's not to suggest I ascribe a purpose or meaning to my life in any fundamental sense, or one that's connected to the laws of physics, but merely how experiences bring meaning to my life). Even during my worse times I haven't made an appeal to irrational thinking. I've been in a couple of foxholes this year, but not even for a nanosecond did I plead to some unknowable force! (I guess you'll just have to take that one on faith.)
  4. Steven wrote
    ... but I have 'spiritual' tendencies, particularly towards nature and music. But none of these experiences disconnect me from rationality or alter my beliefs about reality...

Interesting. Any sense of kinship with nature? That's an idea that some would label spiritual. (Actually I guess kinship with fellow man is not actually very different from feeling some connection to animals. Both are about feeling a greater community of beings that gives us some solace.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013
    Well, nature as a whole. The laws of nature, the universe itself. I share that sense of wonder when a physicist looks at light from a distant galaxy, or a biologist who discovers a new species. Perhaps less so with biology as I'm more of a physicist groupie, but I certainly appreciate the endeavour of science. smile

I think the words 'spiritual' and 'spirituality' understandably carry a lot of baggage, much like 'atheist' and 'atheism' do. But I find the definition of spirituality applies just as well to non-supernatural experiences. We are spiritual beings, which to me translates to we are naturally evolved beings capable of complex thought and emotions who have the ability to reflect on the universe and our place in it. (Well, some are. Not everyone.) No supernatural quality is required to lead a "spiritual" life. (But I then I suppose it depends on your definition of spiritual!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013 edited
    It also depends on your your definition of "supernatural". Of which I personally don't really have one. Either things exist or they don't. When I was younger I thought "God" was a real, present entity that I was talking to and being influenced by. The longer such went on without the slightest observable effect to confirm that "He" was real, the less convinced I became.

The way I see it, if anything considered "supernatural" is real then it's not actually supernatural, its natural, its just nature that we haven't put through the scientific method yet. And if it's not real, then its simply a myth, a fictional story, and not even worthy of the term "supernatural".

There's a youtube video of Dawkins and O'Reilly (terrifying combination that!) where Dawkins sends the "things are either real or they aren't" idea across in hilariously simple language. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FARDDcdFaQ at 2:30.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013 edited
    biggrin

I don't like this Billy. Then there's the old Hitler, Staling, Pot thing... How ridiculous. Very creationism. A pity America has to experience such nonsense. We seldom see stuff like this on tv.

I partially had a similar view Matt, although I didn't talk or so to what you consider "He". I just was told this thing was there and I was more of "okay, well, he doesn't prove much these days" kinda person. So I never had a connection with it. But I did my First Communion and the second one, but very passively (for the friends and family stuff that is related with it, and of course the gifts). I loved the religion teacher at elementary school. She wonderfully told these fascinating stories of the Old Testament, and about her work in Sri Lanka. I often looked forward to this one hour a week. Little did I know what religion actually did or had done as a powerful force in history (positive and negative).

Currently, through this forum (and Steven for sure), but also earlier, and through events that happened here in Belgium, I just see it as nonsense. It never should have so much influence and power like it currently has, and I hope it once becomes a personal thing that can be put outside politics. Press shouldn't pay attention to what a Pope says, as it is based upon old books and very conservative world views.

For example, euthanasia and same-sex marriage has been progressed here very well, for the good. But every time there's a change to laws in this, why do journalists get to the important catholic figures of our country, while on the other hand they are also very quick on then displaying the fact that Muslims in our country have lots of issues with these subjects. Why do they give weight to catholic persons, while then focusing on 'blaming' an other religion for doing the same... face-palm-mt

By coincidence, today it was revealed that our previous queen (still alive), uses the money she get (dotations) for Catholic inspired institutions or charities. While our whole political world is in uproar because she created a 'company' to evade taxes on this freely received money from her country, and me. It's perfectly legal, but politicians often go around the issue. I was actually more upset that she only gave this money away to what she considers religious righteousness, while she should make no discrimation. dizzy Oh well.

Surely a very simple view of mine, compared to what Steven and Peter, and Martijn sometimes provide here. For me it has never been a big issue as long as it is personal and helps you forward, even though like Steven, I find it extremely hard to understand that it can help you forward. But I would like to get rid of the influence religion (at least in my country for example) in life or society. Religion should have no place in law making but the laws should not prevent people from practising their faith.

Okay, this post is longer then ever intended. And there's not much new in there!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013
    I have a massive problem with the whole blanket concept of "spiritualism", especially as it's generally used as a catch-all concept for "something beyond".

It just doesn't gell with me.

Yes, I think Bach's music transcends any individual human artistic endeavour .
    Yes, I feel humbled and awed at nature's ability to adapt and spring back at anything we (as man) care to throw against it.

But it sure as hell isn't in any way spiritual.

I love the human spirit for being indomitable. For being at best curious and striving for knowledge and reaching for the "beyond" (whatever that may entail in whatever cultural or historical setting we may choose).
    But that's IT.
    Spirituality isn't something vague and intangible.
    It's what makes us, as a species, as successful as we are (and please spare me the " but look what we're doing to our poor Earth" platitudes. We fuck up. We fix it. We fuck up again. We fix it again. It'll take time, effort and dedication...but we can DO it. Hell, we're DOING it!).

I'd love to see someone properly and definitively define 'spiritualism', so I'd be able to take an axe to it (or indeed - I may be old, but hopefully not that rusted shut- be persuaded otherwise).

I fully support any kind of humanism in science or taking an overarching humanist ethical view to any objective scientific find (with all the challenges that this may entail...can you just *imagine* the kind of debate a discovery like dynamite might provoke today?).
    But do not challenge me with any theological or "spiritual" concepts somehow suggesting they make the world better for their very being. I need FAR better arguments than that.

That said, I am now on my seventh G&T during my holidays in the tropics (looking out at at least three coupes where the woman is clothed in a burqah, which *infuriates* me) so I grant I may be a bit more bellicose than I generally tend to be. So while I'd be happy to enter into debate with anyone about the considered value of spiritualism and religion, I really don't want to kick anyone in the shins quite so deliberately as it may seem.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013 edited
    Spiritual in the way you are talking about is just a feeling, that either you feel, or you don't feel, or you feel by another name. So I suppose spiritualism would just be the philosophy behind that feeling.

Also, you seem to be implying that Bach was a Borg collective... cheesy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. It is true having a bucket called spiritual into which unaccounted feelings are cast assumes that we are somehow divisible into body, mind (soul?) and spirit (heart?). The last category does exist if you think all thoughts of any kind - emotional impulses, factual reference, dreams, moral calculations, math, sense of purpose, identity, etc are all clearly assignable to the mind and body categories.

For me personally the division makes sense if I think of the mind as being the conscious mind and the spirit as being the subconscious mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013
    franz_conrad wrote
    First principles are incredibly important, and it shapes a lot about how we think. So much of who a person is is already there by the age of 8, and it happens so early that many people don't even realise beliefs of the mind are there. (I'm going further than religion here -- this is about views on everything -- acceptable behaviour, morality, roles in societys, etc.) Reprogramming is possible, and takes place both consciously and subconsciously over our lives. (For me, the institutions that shape our lives end up determining our minds much more than our parents -- which by-the-by for the 2 different sides of the 'home schooling' issue provide the argument for and against home schooling. Sorry, a digression.)

But back to the starting point -- this natural tendency to learn from parents -- I actually think there is a contrasting behavioural impulse in people as well. When a person does reach teenage years -- and often this comes quite a bit later -- they will frequently overweight the opinions of people outside their previous comfort zone relative to those previously within the comfort zone. So 'mum' and 'dad' cease to know so much, less so than one's best friends, teachers, lecturers, employers. (Teachers often fall within the old group too.) People experience this to differing degrees, but I think the function of the behaviour is to actually to guard us against being overly biased towards an initiating viewpoint. Social extremes are balanced with a norm of some sort, in a lot of cases. As a result, some completely invert the views they were taught as a child, consciously aspiring to be the opposite of those things, others merely introduce an element of sarcasm/skepticism. It's partly about removing that automatic sense of authority from your life, and becoming your own person who makes your own choices, but in process the views of others are given unusual authority.

In the long run, this settles though. I think in the end we end up becoming more moderate people. There's a regression of views to a mean somewhere in between. You start to see those in your old comfort zone as people who made choices for their own reasons, and you have less of a drive to fight it altogether, because it isn't about authority anymore. You are your own person now. Your parents were also people once. Your friends and teachers and that writer and this writer and that preacher and this musician -- all of them are people who came to viewpoints. Just as you are a person with your own conscious and subconscious views that don't exactly match up with anyone else's. (You may be a complete adopter of another's views in one area of thought, but it would be a rare person who imitates everything about another.)

Of course, it's always possible that the people whose opinion you overvalue, don't provide a contrast to those views you were brought up with. Think of that small village between mountains somewhere where a whole life is lived. Or a child raised within a cult. (Or in an example that may be equivalent for some, a child born to a born-again family in middle american white suburb.) I think even then there's an impulse felt to varying degrees to break away, and the more imaginative/adventurous individuals will do it, but in the absence of an outlet, many will remain within one mode of thought, possibly to their cost. (The cult member is probably headed for trouble; the mountain dweller less obviously so.)

Admittedly, I'm neither a psychologist, an anthrologist, or a sociologist, so I might be talking absolute rubbish here. But it would make sense to me if humans actually as part of their 'growing up' experienced exaggerated disdain for their authority figures -- as a way to ensure that the individual doesn't miss the possibility of other ways of thinking. That would be good programming, however the programming was achieved.

Excellent post, Franz, I enjoyed reading that very much.

I think the points you make very much apply to the way we work in modern society. We don't have to go far back in time though to see something radically different in our own part of the world. The idea for example of the rebellious teenager is rather recent. Modern western societies have a lot of positive focus on individualism, which will tend to exacerbate rebellious tendencies.

It's a very good point that people in modern society tend to becone more moderate as they age, being exposed to more and more viewpoints. To isolate oneself from other viewpoints, either physically or psychologically, is something I often notice with people who harbour viewpoints closer to the extremes, which is why I always consider debate and open disagrement to be of such vital importance.

Anyway, not sure I can add much. Have been up all night reading for my exams, so deep thinking about society and the human condition is a bit above my head for the moment.

Peter smile
  6. Thanks -- I wondered if anyone had read that! You were my audience. smile

I do agree about there being an element of modernity to this phenomenon, but I think even within a contained community (as many an historical community would be), there may still be an impulse for people to seek other views. It's just that the alternative views on offer may not be that different, so the outcome might look like persistent extremism.

(One thought, just as Doyle's music for Sense and Sensibility is playing -- Jane Austen's leading ladies are very often more moderate and sensible, more willing to throw tradition to the wind, than their elders; or their younger sisters for that matter. While not exactly rebellious teenagers compared to the James Dean model, these perhaps suggest that the behaviour was certainly there in one form or another.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Spiritual in the way you are talking about is just a feeling, that either you feel, or you don't feel, or you feel by another name. So I suppose spiritualism would just be the philosophy behind that feeling.

Nice try, Matt, but "a philosophy behind a feeling" wasn't really the type of clear definition I was looking for... wink

Also, you seem to be implying that Bach was a Borg collective... cheesy

biggrin
    Not as such, but as with all other truly outstanding geniuses in history (Newton, Edison to name but a few) , Bach didn't just make stuff up: he incorporated, amalgamated and connected material previously devised and/or discovered by others and brought all that together through his own genius and innovative power to create.

franz_conrad wrote
    (One thought, just as Doyle's music for Sense and Sensibility is playing -- Jane Austen's leading ladies are very often more moderate and sensible, more willing to throw tradition to the wind, than their elders; or their younger sisters for that matter. While not exactly rebellious teenagers compared to the James Dean model, these perhaps suggest that the behaviour was certainly there in one form or another.)

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.
    Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
    Attributed to Socrates by Plato, according to W. L. Patty and L. S. Johnson in Personality and Adjustment, p. 277. Quite possibly apocryphally, but Plato himself wasn't a stranger to complaints about youth either.
    I will look up the pertinent quote later, if anyone cares.

For another one, though:

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words...
    When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint"
    (Hesiod, 8th century BC).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Thankyou. That's what I was looking for. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thanks -- I wondered if anyone had read that! You were my audience. smile

I do agree about there being an element of modernity to this phenomenon, but I think even within a contained community (as many an historical community would be), there may still be an impulse for people to seek other views. It's just that the alternative views on offer may not be that different, so the outcome might look like persistent extremism.

Ah, yes, it can be so frustrating to have written a post you put some good thought into, and then nobody seems to notice. A trend I often notice on internet forums; the longer and more interesting the post, the fewer responses. The shorter and dumber the post is, the more attention you will get. Hence why trolling has become such a phenonemon.

I think we agree. It is certainly possible to break the early programming over time (though fragments will probably always linger), and I'm sure there is some natural tendency towards learning from your own experiences and the views of others while listening less and less to your parents as you mature.

Anyway, times are changing for the better I think; in an increasingly globalized world people are finding it harder and harder to isolate themselves, which I think will have a moderating influence on religions (and other world views and beliefs).

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.
    Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
    Attributed to Socrates by Plato, according to W. L. Patty and L. S. Johnson in Personality and Adjustment, p. 277. Quite possibly apocryphally, but Plato himself wasn't a stranger to complaints about youth either.
    I will look up the pertinent quote later, if anyone cares.

For another one, though:

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words...
    When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint"
    (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

Ah, yes, I forgot about those ones. I recall you posting them before.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That was nice Martijn! cheesy
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    plindboe wrote
    Ah, yes, it can be so frustrating to have written a post you put some good thought into, and then nobody seems to notice. A trend I often notice on internet forums; the longer and more interesting the post, the fewer responses. The shorter and dumber the post is, the more attention you will get. Hence why trolling has become such a phenonemon.

I read through the last handful of pages last night, and found it all very interesting - especially the very long posts! I'm familiar with the debates between apologists and atheists on youtube, and am fascinated by the rhetoric of Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, Krauss and others. Sadly there are almost no apologists that can make a clear case (although Dinesh D'Souza made a good case in a debate with Christopher Hitchens) and carrying the burden of proof seems too big a task for them in order to justify their assertions of the absolute truths they claim to know.

The best reasoning that is pro-religion I can find within my own mind, is that the human condition doesn't allow us to fully understand anything at all. I can explain the various mechanisms and structures that characterizes the piano, but at a certain level of depth, there are things I can't explain at all. The origins of the atoms that make up the woodwork is a mystery: why do certain atoms exist and others not? Why do the sound waves vibrate the precise way they do? Why is the natural tone row as it is, in that particular order? These things can be explained to the extent that the origins of the phenomena makes enough sense for many of us to feel sufficiently satisfied, but at a certain point of depth all reason completely ceases to exist, and that point is usually reached with particle physics.

As impressive as science has become over the past century, it doesn't really tell us anything worth knowing about the very mystery of existance itself. Religion seems to conclude that we must allow ourselves to be not only guided by our experience, but literally persuaded by it. We all wish to live positive and heathy lives, and making sense of the good experiences in life and dismissing the bad ones will help us to do that. Religion offers, through its various doctrines, a precise methology of accomplishing this, that seems to encourage the complete annihilation of existential doubt. Whether any one religion is true or not, it has certainly been proven to help people live their lives, cherish the out-of-body experiences that make us feel totally convinced of the inevitability of that precise moment in our lives, and dismiss other meaningless things, most commonly as the results of an alleged devil advocating its purpose upon humanity.

Obviously, there are ridiculous contradictions in religion that must be addressed, especially by those who call themselves believers, as some of you have pointed out (Steven, Martijn, Peter and others). Let us look at a wise thing the Dalai Lama said: "if Buddhism is wrong, Buddhism will have to change". Unfortunately, Christianity, Islam, and other faiths don't share this attitude. Their doctrines are the indisputable words of God himself, unchangeable, unchallengable - and inevitably war-inducing! Still, many Christians pick and choose when it comes to biblical teachings. Genesis is perhaps seen as a metaphore, and thankfully many can at least accept that much. For example, the hydrogen atom that is released from a supernova and required for the existance of water, efficiently disproves the biblical notion of water being created prior to light. But that rises the question of exactly what else in the "post-modern bible" we can call a metaphore? Everything? The fact that one can pick and choose provides at least an implication of evidence of that the existance of human morality without God is true, and that religion infact does need to change! For this argument, I celebrate the efforts of organised atheism. At the same time, the virtues of religion can only exist if one believes in the autonomous truth of God. If religious people are willing to diminish their dogmatism, the belief itself is likely to evaporate into thin air.

Now here is a thought that absolutely baffles me: what if the human ear, through evolution, had been developed to distinguish between pitched intervals even smaller than chromatic half-steps, say we could distinguish between intervals a hundred times smaller than that? How would that affect our musical heritage? This just tells me that the music I experience to be universally cherishable - as if it were of inevitable origins, like a Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, or Mahler symphony that appears to have turned every stone and been fully developed to such a maturity that improvement is an impossibility - is actually strongly limited by human perception and ability. It tells me that my experience of music as possessing an overwhelming higher power implying a sense of universal "truth", is actually an illusion - as a matter of fact! It is a most humbling thought, and one that celebrates the qualities of human imagination. Creativity is the key to human existance!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I haven't read all the posts above, so my comment may be random. Just something about spirituality and/or religiosity, in the meaning of feeling connected somehow.

In religion and personal life view, symbols and rituals are very important. Religion is not only about believing what is true, it is very much an experience with all our senses. And those symbols and rituals is a way for people to give meaning to their life and have a feeling of 'making sense' and to connect all our experiences.

An example I came across recently, about someone (happens to be an atheist) who is very 'religious' in the original meaning of the word (feeling connected and thinking symbollically, hey, like all humans). She was alone on new year's eve and decided to overthink the old year and start the new year. She wrote down her thoughts about the old year, what happened, what went well, what was bad etc. And she burnt the note. Then she made a collage of things that would fit in the new year. Burn the old, create the new.

This is a very symbolic way to celebrate new year, therefore 'religious'. Of course she knows it's just because of the calender, that december 31st isn't any different from januari 1st, but people think of a new year as a symbol of a new start.

This, people connecting everything and think not only rationally but also about what it means to them, that is a huge part of religion and life view. Much more than what people believe I would say. Therefore humans are 'religious' creatures. We don't live rational lives, we also give meaning.

Another example: photographs. Why does it hurt when a photograph of someone dear to us is burnt or torn apart? Because it's not just a piece of paper. If you look around in your life and observe for a while, you see all the symbolism, just think of stories. My point is: this is the fundament of religion, not some god above.
  8. I happen to be an adept of the theory of emergence. The theory of emergence attempts to bring the classic positions of dualism (Descartes) and materialisms / reductionalism to a synthesis. It sais that there is no existence beyond matter. In so far it is close to materialism. It also sais, that the possibility of highly complex structures is inherent in the matrix of all Being and that evolution may bring such structures to existence if it serves as an advantage in given circumstances. (It's not the goal (telos) of evolution, though, it's an aspect of evolution.)
    If this happens, as was the case with the human brain that is the most complex structure known to us, sentinence, self-awareness may appear. We are aware of ourselves and our environment and we can abstract from both. And our focused mind (will) has power over our body. Mere thought may provoce manifest reactions in our physical body. Hormones are the medium of such reactions, they are not their reasons. So with growing complexity an aspect of matter arrises that we may call spirit. This "x" is an aspect of all matter. Only sufficiant complexity will allow this "x" to culminate to a point that gives it a certain power over it's physical sorce, it will ignite sentinece, yet it will not have independent existence beyond it. If the physical body desolves, so does it's mental aspect.
    Theoretically this might also happen to a complex structure of synthetic origin. Remember Wintermute or Skynet? Or HAL 9000?
    We do not exist in opposition to the universe, we are not a foreign body, not the Crown of Creation. Stardust we are. Matter is congealed spacetime. We are congealed spacetime that has become sentinent. If we look up to the stars, the universe turns towards itselve. With the human mind as a medium a small part of the universe becomes aware of itself and of all Being. Other such "spots of awarenes" are likely to be out there, seing the light of our sun.
    When I die I will be gone entirely. But the atoms that make up my body, will be part of other bodies and they may oneday contribute to the basis of another cycle of physical and biological evoltuion and to the evolution of mind.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    markrayen wrote
    The best reasoning that is pro-religion I can find within my own mind, is that the human condition doesn't allow us to fully understand anything at all. I can explain the various mechanisms and structures that characterizes the piano, but at a certain level of depth, there are things I can't explain at all. The origins of the atoms that make up the woodwork is a mystery: why do certain atoms exist and others not? Why do the sound waves vibrate the precise way they do? Why is the natural tone row as it is, in that particular order? These things can be explained to the extent that the origins of the phenomena makes enough sense for many of us to feel sufficiently satisfied, but at a certain point of depth all reason completely ceases to exist, and that point is usually reached with particle physics.

Interesting thoughts throughout, Mark. I'd like to just address your second paragraph. It's true that there's a lot of stuff we don't know, and I'm sure there always will be. Pointing out our lack of knowledge can indeed seem convincing at first, but when you boil these types of arguments down to a logical and concise form it becomes easy to see just how weak they are. Essentially the premise goes like this "We don't know what caused X" and the conclusion is "Therefore Y caused X", with Y being their god of course. This is a fallacy known as 'Appeal to ignorance', or in theology as 'God of the gaps', and it's incredibly common and takes countless forms especially in religious discussions, usually dressed up in scientific or poetic language. I hope you agree that we can't really conclude something on the basis of our lack of knowledge about that something, other than "therefore more research is needed".

Peter smile
  9. plindboe wrote
    markrayen wrote

Interesting thoughts throughout, Mark. I'd like to just address your second paragraph. It's true that there's a lot of stuff we don't know, and I'm sure there always will be. Pointing out our lack of knowledge can indeed seem convincing at first, but when you boil these types of arguments down to a logical and concise form it becomes easy to see just how weak they are. Essentially the premise goes like this "We don't know what caused X" and the conclusion is "Therefore Y caused X", with Y being their god of course. This is a fallacy known as 'Appeal to ignorance', or in theology as 'God of the gaps', and it's incredibly common and takes countless forms especially in religious discussions, usually dressed up in scientific or poetic language. I hope you agree that we can't really conclude something on the basis of our lack of knowledge about that something, other than "therefore more research is needed".

Peter smile

markrayen:
    Why do certain atoms exist and others not? Why do the sound waves vibrate the precise way they do? Why is the natural tone row as it is, in that particular order?

Because we live in this universe and not in another. Would we live in different universe we would be different beings still asking the same question.

markrayen:
    The best reasoning that is pro-religion I can find within my own mind, is that the human condition doesn't allow us to fully understand anything at all.

I agree. Think of all Being as a matrix, a closed system. We are a part of that system. We may be able to describe all Being in a mathematical way, thus giving an answer to "How?". But in order to find the answer to "Why" we would ultimately have to be able to exit the system and have a look from outside. This is basically the idea of God.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote
    markrayen:
    The best reasoning that is pro-religion I can find within my own mind, is that the human condition doesn't allow us to fully understand anything at all.

I agree. Think of all Being as a matrix, a closed system. We are a part of that system. We may be able to describe all Being in a mathematical way, thus giving an answer to "How?". But in order to find the answer to "Why" we would ultimately have to be able to exit the system and have a look from outside. This is basically the idea of God.

Of course that's assuming that 1.We live in the Matrix 2.The idea of God allows you to exit the system and look from the outside. I don't think that I have to mention that both of these assumptions are HUGE and entirely unsupported.

Peter smile
  10. plindboe wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    markrayen:

Of course that's assuming that 1.We live in the Matrix 2.The idea of God allows you to exit the system and look from the outside. I don't think that I have to mention that both of these assumptions are HUGE and entirely unsupported.

Peter smile

I have to clarify: I agree with markryan that we cannot answer the ultimate "Why" for the reasons given above. I do not agree that that is in any way a proof of the existence of God. You noticed the subjunctive mood in my text? The notion that the view from outside would be necessary does not mean that this point of view does exist or that this is even a sensible way of describing the world we perceive. Still "matrix of existence" is a common term even in natuarlistic contexts.
  11. Very interesting contribution mark rayen. I like the way you take up the idea of music as the basis for your argument. (Hello btw! Been a while.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2013 edited
    Want to chime in here (I haven't read through all of the thread so I'm not all knowing here) smile;

I'm not a believer (though I was baptized as a Christian and as a result am part of their statistical database). I don't believe in a God, and certainly not one that would pre-occupy himself with the human race, as if we are the chosen ones in the grand scheme of things. We haven't been around for that long and by the way we like to kill, pillage and wage war in our small time being 'here', I'd find any God pre-occupied with us a sadist. But then God is everything so he'd have to be a sadist as well. Let's keep cutting off arms and legs in Mali, lets keep dieing from Aids, Cancer, such a cruel creator! Yet, if we believe, all of that is ok really (well except the aids part I guess), cause we will make it to the next level of the game of life, and it's an eternal one with clouds and rainbows; about 'heaven', do you think they'd allow anal and bondage or would you have to send in a request form? Perhaps take a trip down to hell for that I guess. But we will live on; that to me is the bigger lie religion sports. Who cares if there's a god? All I'm saying is, if he exists, he's far too late to the party. If God is listening, we need you down here! Take away all pain and grant our decaying body cells eternal life as you would our souls (who will live on eternal). Bah... a soul. What is a soul without a penis or a vagina? Useless! We need to create like you God, I don't want to come back as a neutured soul! I don't want to be casper roaming the universe as cloud of energy.

I have a soul (and black soul), a conscience, it is entirely my own, although it is shaped by external factors like upbringing, environment, MTV and videogames... but I don't consider "God" to be a part of my conscience nor a force guiding it or communicating with it. Do any of you speak to God and has he spoken back? Is he male? female? Never mind, we wouldn't be able to understand him anyway as we can't grasp him nor the concepts he's suppose to be the answer to. That makes me lean towards female though. wink

Is God really inspiration? Then why do I suffer from believers block?

P.S. Mabey he's speaking through me as I type this (or could be that god complex I'm suffering from).

And about being religious, it's a coat you put on, a mindset, just like being a punk rocker or a cowboy in the wild west.

Continue please and disregard satan. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I have to clarify: I agree with markryan that we cannot answer the ultimate "Why" for the reasons given above. I do not agree that that is in any way a proof of the existence of God. You noticed the subjunctive mood in my text? The notion that the view from outside would be necessary does not mean that this point of view does exist or that this is even a sensible way of describing the world we perceive. Still "matrix of existence" is a common term even in natuarlistic contexts.

I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Peter smile