• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: TaleSpin (promo) - Christopher L. Stone

A real hidden gem!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk

No kidding. Extraordinary score! It would be great if someone like Intrada released this commercially.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "Hidden" as in "unavailable" then? slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    "Hidden" as in "unavailable" then? slant

Yeah, it's only available as a rare, albeit good quality composer promo currently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES HORNER - Boy in The Striped Pyjamas

Starting to like it a lot, the main theme and the general piano usage are very soothing.

It's another meditative listen but it doesn't really do anything special. It's standard piano/synth driven Horner which we have heard in countless scores. Nothing special here. Save your money. BTW, the danger motif has to DIE!!!

-Erik-

Long live the Nockmaar motif!!! punk punk

Anne Rice: I thought it was The Vampire Lestat that was the interminable one. Covered some interesting grounds, but made me feel I had to trek across a couple of galaxies to cover them. Interview was nice and succint. And if her style is jaded and old fashioned it's probably because her heroes are jaded and old fashioned. Of course a 200-years-old vampire would write in a begone-era style. But of course I'm in the middle of the Tale of the Body Thief right now, and can't wait for that agonizing to reach a resolution.

Poseidon: I likes it too.

Long live the Nockmaar motif!!! punk punk
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Memoirs Of A Geisha John Williams

I finally get why this score is so brilliant. Mind you, it's been a very long time since I listened to it, perhaps a year or two?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008 edited
    Steven wrote

I finally get why this score is so brilliant. Mind you, it's been a very long time since I listened to it, perhaps a year or two?

Welcome to the club! Brilliant is indeed the perfect word for that score. One of John Williams' all time best!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    HeeroJF wrote

Anne Rice: I thought it was The Vampire Lestat that was the interminable one. Covered some interesting grounds, but made me feel I had to trek across a couple of galaxies to cover them. Interview was nice and succint.

Wow! shocked
    How interesting! For me it was the exact other way 'round!
    I thought Lestat offered far more interaction, dialogue and interesting twists then the terminally semi-introspective Interview, but then Interview was seriously hyped and I was sorely disappointed in my expectations.

And if her style is jaded and old fashioned it's probably because her heroes are jaded and old fashioned. Of course a 200-years-old vampire would write in a begone-era style.

Yeah, well, ten out of ten for style, minus several million for retaining interest. slant

NP: my heroes playlist (I stole Steven's idea shame )

Supes, Bats, Bonds, that beacon cue from Return Of The King, and the like.
    GOOD STUFFS!
    punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oooh, playlist? I'm always looking for more tracks to add to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Need to be at home to do that (I think it's 150 titles or something), but I'll get back to you through PM. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Welcome to the club! Brilliant is indeed the perfect word for that score. One of John Williams' all time best!

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more although i fail to understand how one wouldn't get it right from the very first listen? it has spectacular beauty written all over it from note 1.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Lord of the Rings:The Fellowiship of the Rings(Complete Recordings)

As a person I have a trait in my character.When I'm in love the more time passes the stronrger the feelings become .This apart from people, applies to scores as well."The Lord of the Rings" scores are some of them. I'm completely in love with them and I consider my attendance to "The Lord of the Rings Symphony" three years ago to be one of the most unforgetable experiences of my life so far.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more although i fail to understand how one wouldn't get it right from the very first listen? it has spectacular beauty written all over it from note 1.

You think I don't feel bad enough!? cry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I wouldn't go as far as saying it was one of Williams "all time best" or D's superlatives but it's certainly a very fine and enjoyable score.

Now if only I could find it within me to like Munich.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    It took me a while to appreciate the score of Memoirs, but once I had seen the movie three times, it suddenly clicked. I wouldn't say it's on of his best ever (he wrote more instantly classic scores than this), but it's definitely up there with the best of the past decade. 4 stars for sure.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mulan (promo) Jerry Goldsmith

Ahhhhhhhhhh, Goldsmith. Good ol' faithful Goldsmith does the job every time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, well, ten out of ten for style, minus several million for retaining interest. slant

That's it! Exactly! The greatest appeal of her books is the cult following and the "club" mentality that follows their reading with discussed with other fans. The act of reading them itself is only rarely tremendously entertaining (the very beginning of The Vampire Lestat did that to me, as did bits of Queen of the Damned, but over all the interesting bits are way too far apart, padded with too much stuff), but being part of the "fandom" is the real reward.

Memoirs of a Geisha: Quite quite lovely indeed, but personally I feel the post-2000 Williams never got so stirring and sublime as in Angela's Ashes. You say you enjoy Geisha from note 1 till the end, but for me it has a little too many semi-melodic moments (like Seven Years in Tibet and Munich), whereas Angela truly has me swaying along through the whole thing.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I wouldn't go as far as saying it was one of Williams "all time best" or D's superlatives but it's certainly a very fine and enjoyable score.

I think Geisha is top ten material. Now... I have to form my top ten to make sure that is indeed true. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    The Incredible Hulk - Episodics Collection Volume One
    Music Composed by Joe Harnell

This CD contains music from the Incredible Hulk pilot movie and the second pilot called 'A Death In The Family' . Lots of exciting and memorable cues on this one . And who doesn't know the emotional piece , 'The Lonely Man Theme' ? Maybe this CD isn't for everybody , but if you're a BIG fan of the Hulk tv-series like me then this is a must buy ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I think Geisha is top ten material. Now... I have to form my top ten to make sure that is indeed true. wink

-Erik-

I would suggest putting a Williams Top 10 in the JOHN WILLIAMS thread.

I'm going to do that now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Ivasion USA by Jay Chattaway

why this one is sold out now I don't know, this is some average crap

pffff, why on earth did they release this one? confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Oh, I wasn't planning on posting one... I just scribbled one down on a piece of paper on my desk. How many John Williams Top Ten lists do we need?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Oh, I wasn't planning on posting one... I just scribbled one down on a piece of paper on my desk. How many John Williams Top Ten lists do we need?

-Erik-

Good point! Regardless, I did one anyway.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - Horner

Exceptional. He hasn't been quite so blatant in his borrowings of late, but it's comparatively easy to get past that when the music's as good as this. Easily the year's best score album.

What a surprise! tongue

You and Broxton are pro-Horner.

OH god...How I hate when horner plays the theme with strings and then he "inserts" a touch of Piano. I don't know if anyone understand me, but it's a thing Horner is doing in every score since Titanic.

This morning I tried to play The Perfect Storm, one of my favourites from Horner, and while the action stuff and the electric guitars are terrific, I find his themes more, and more sacharine. sad

He's not a composer with a subtle touch, for the most part. Mind you, not everything is ALL THE KING'S MEN, but you don't get him to score your film if you want scenes to err on the side of ambiguity.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

-Erik-

Ya. me too. shame

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

-Erik-

Ya. me too. shame

-Erik-

I felt like quoting.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Haha! I won't quote this one.

Listening to the Burbs Deluxe. One of the funnest scores ever. I hadn't listened to it in a few months and have listened to it about seven times starting yesterday.

Thoughts on the score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008
    omaha wrote

Listening to the Burbs Deluxe. One of the funnest scores ever. I hadn't listened to it in a few months and have listened to it about seven times starting yesterday.

Thoughts on the score?

Another one that I consider a Top Ten contender. I think it's brilliant!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For some reason I decided to dig out and listen to a few older 78's. I had a listen to GI Jive, Accent-tchu-ate the Positive (Used in LA Confidental) from Johnny Mercer. These were Capitol recordings. I also had a listen to Jungle Book a (3) record set of the Rozsa soundtrack on RCA. I was looking for Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy but I couldn't find it. Rats
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The score offers so many amazing themes. Just hearing them all in the end credits is... biggrin
    He has the The western theme, the military one, the one for the neighborhood, and the one for the suspicious neighbors. Any others I'm missing?
    The greatest score for a comedy I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    omaha wrote

Thoughts on the score?

One of my favorite Goldsmith scores, and also one of my favorite Goldsmith-scored movies. It's rare one hears a score that's just fresh and fun to listen to all the way through. Not only are the themes catchy, but there are several quirky ideas in the music as well. The barking dog sound effect gets me every time.

Peter smile