• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Is it performed by real instruments? The score?

Oh, no, no. No game from that era had live orchestra scores. It's all heavily synthesized and as such may not be for everyone, but the sheer musicology of these themes should overpower the limitations of sound. At least it's one step above the NES sound system, but even that doesn't bother me. I listen to enough old NES scores like Contra and Zelda II in a groove beyond anything even a Brian Tyler score could bring me...

And you......like this? shocked tongue

It's called nostalgia, bud! I still love the melodies from the old Sonic games, on the Mega Drive. There's a quality and charm to them that cannot be matched by orchestra, or not in the same way.

Anyway, the orchestral arrangements found in Gradius in Classic are superb enough to make you want to forget the original tunes, then again I never knew 'em cause I was never into Nintendo.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008
    Yep, I have that nostalgic feeling with those old NES tunes too (and Sonic tunes). If you didn't grow up with 'em, you won't understand why we love 'em!
  2. Brian Tyler - Rambo

Definitely worse than the Goldsmith scores, a bit much to look up to. Works a bit better as a homage score, because mostly the homage to Goldsmith is in... the brass sound and a motif here and there. There is a part of the last track quite literally taken from Rambo 2, but in a sequel score which has to respectfully nod to previous scores, this rip is acceptable.

It is more of an MV score than a Goldsmith one, when it comes to some themes and progressions. Tyler decided to approach the movie on his own, rather than being slave to a certain style. That's quite commendable, but still not as good as the original trilogy.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - Rambo

Definitely worse than the Goldsmith scores, a bit much to look up to. Works a bit better as a homage score, because mostly the homage to Goldsmith is in... the brass sound and a motif here and there. There is a part of the last track quite literally taken from Rambo 2, but in a sequel score which has to respectfully nod to previous scores, this rip is acceptable.

It is more of an MV score than a Goldsmith one, when it comes to some themes and progressions. Tyler decided to approach the movie on his own, rather than being slave to a certain style. That's quite commendable, but still not as good as the original trilogy.

Apart from some great purcussion I really didn't think much of this score at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. It's a three star effort for me. I like the slow theme too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - Rambo

A crap film IMHO , totally over the top with lots of gruesome useless violence .
    For a sec there I thought I was watching a new 'Friday the 13th' film , expecting
    Jason to turn up at any minute ... And this comes from someone who loves the original trilogy .
    Didn't think much of the score either .

Come to think of it ... wouldn't be a bad idea maybe ... Rambo vs Jason ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: Gradius III, Konami Kukeiha Club
    It's not every day that I get to open a package and hold in my hands my #2 all-time most-wanted item. Wow. How I've LONGED to own ultra-rare import item, and listen to it. This album rocks so hard. The heart and soul of old-school video game scoring. And that I've picked it up the other day as a complete fluke for $9 on eBay??? Something is wrong with that kind of luck.

Up - up - down - down - left - right - left - right - B - A - start

punk punk

Wow, long time no see. I played Gradius, or Nemesis as it was called in Europe, when I was 8 years old in my beloved MSX2! Man what a great era for videogames. Still unbeliabable that with that time technology they could develop such GREAT games: Gradius saga, Metal Gear saga (I still remember perfectly the day I finished Metal Gear, and 3 years later Metal Gear 2). I mean games of 4MB (!!) that were awesome to play, had great stories and nice music. God save the 80´s!

I still have some kinda traume because I never, ever, was able to finish Gradius 4 (aka Salamander). What a tough game!

OMG:

http://www.freewebs.com/outerheavenresi … europe.jpg

http://www.edusworld.org/ew/ficheros/2005/mg2-msx.jpg

cry cry
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, the film is pretty much unbearable. It's basically about time Stallone realized that a retirement at home next to the fireplace and with the warm pyjamas and slippers is due; not that he should ever enter the film scene in the first place, but that's a wholly different matter.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I liked the film actually, better than virtually everything Stallone has played in last few years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Band of Brothers - Michael Kamen

Wonderful OST with a beautiful 'Main Theme' . Some of the tracks remind me a bit of "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" though and some may find this soundtrack to be a bit repetetive . The last track 'Requiem' is a haunting reprise of the main theme with vocals by Maire Brennan and Zoe Kamen .
    A FAB listen ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Eric wrote
    Band of Brothers - Michael Kamen

Wonderful OST with a beautiful 'Main Theme' . Some of the tracks remind me a bit of "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" though and some may find this soundtrack to be a bit repetetive . The last track 'Requiem' is a haunting reprise of the main theme with vocals by Maire Brennan and Zoe Kamen .
    A FAB listen ...

couldn't agree more
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I liked the film actually, better than virtually everything Stallone has played in last few years.

I'm with you Pawel punk

I thought the film was gruesomely violent goofy shoot em up and Stallone at 60 still looks like he could kick seven shades of fuck out of Craig, Damon and the like anyday.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Not too goofy, I believe Stallone wanted to get across with a message about ethnic cleansings and brutality of force. In the end I think it was some kind of anti-violence movie, even if we rooted for Rambo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (James Horner)

Hey, I like what I´m listening. Beautiful main theme, strings, piano, female voice, melody....I like it when Horner goes intimate and that´s what we´ve got here; dramatic score but not over the top, a great surprise. Now that I think about it, I´ve really liked the latest works by Horner (The Spiderwick Chronicles, The Life Before Her Eyes, Apocalypto and All the King's Men). Glad to see one of my favs delivering good music again after some doubts.

Of course, as special guest star in Boy in the Striped Pyjamas , the four note motif in "The Funeral". I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm really enjoying that score. That main theme is wonderful and not nearly as derivative as we're used to from Horner. (The album could do with being a bit sorter perhaps, but aside from that it's a winner.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not too goofy, I believe Stallone wanted to get across with a message about ethnic cleansings and brutality of force. In the end I think it was some kind of anti-violence movie, even if we rooted for Rambo.

I've also read somewhere that Stallone wanted this film to be a message about ethnic cleansing and against violence like you've said , but I still think it stinks . The little bit of characterization we had in the original films is completely thrown overboard here . Let's hope they spare us from a 5th one !
    Glad some of you liked it though ... Like they say , each to his own ... wink
  6. The fifth one is already shooting in Bulgaria...

Bulgaria will stand for Arizona, interestingly biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The fifth one is already shooting in Bulgaria...

Bulgaria will stand for Arizona, interestingly biggrin

Is it ? Well , I'm not standing in line to see it if it's like the previous one .
    Is there something known about the story yet ?
    Is he gonna fight for his father's home / ranch this time ?
    Could be good if they drop the over the top comic book violence this time .
    Like 'First Blood' ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sounds like too much interest for someone who didn't like the film wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    OMG, are there seriously over 140 replies in this thread?

In ONE DAY?

You are all mad!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Jeepers Creepers 2 - Bennett Salvay

One of my all time favorite over the top horror scores! SHAMELESSLY over the top! And what a magnificent recording by Shawn Murphy.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Marselus wrote
    I still have some kinda traume because I never, ever, was able to finish Gradius 4 (aka Salamander). What a tough game!

Do you mean the actual Gradius 4, or Salamander in the NES known as Life Force in America? My claim to fame was having beaten Life Force once without losing a single ship. Too bad no one was there to witness.

Christodoulides wrote
    And you......like this? shocked tongue

Like DreamTheater said, it's mainly about nostalgia, but there's more than just that. Even today I'm able to musically appreciate tunes from old games I never even played back then. You'd be immensely surprised about the complexity of some of these themes, back when game scores actually had themes, instead of just atmospheric pap in an attempt to emulate film scores too much. But yes, I've been combating this "it's nothing but beeps and bops" attitude toward video game music my whole life. Sitting in front of a live orchestra in Washington DC as they played the theme from The Legend of Zelda last year, I can't tell you the pride I felt.

NP: Chato's Land, Jerry Fielding
    Typical Fielding stuff. Which is pretty darn good once you get into it.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  7. Erik Woods wrote

One of my all time favorite over the top horror scores! SHAMELESSLY over the top! And what a magnificent recording by Shawn Murphy.

-Erik-

Have you heard the first also?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yup... and I really liked the movie as well. Haven't seen the sequel but I've been told to stay away from it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    HeeroJF wrote
    Marselus wrote

Do you mean the actual Gradius 4, or Salamander in the NES known as Life Force in America?

Yes, I mean Salamander, known as Life Force in the NES version. Only that I played it in my MSX2.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/ … _front.jpg punk

HeeroJF wrote
    My claim to fame was having beaten Life Force once without losing a single ship. Too bad no one was there to witness.

shocked shocked
    I was never able to finish it! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sounds like too much interest for someone who didn't like the film wink tongue

LOL
    If they go back to the roots of the first one Christodoulides , it could be interesting if they go about it
    the right way . If they do it the crap way , we'll end up with another Rambo IV and that's vomit wink
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Yup... and I really liked the movie as well. Haven't seen the sequel but I've been told to stay away from it.

-Erik-

I like both scores and I like both movies. The first is definitely the best, but there's a nice build up in JC 2 as well, it isn't as braindead as you might think, you might even be surprised by it wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Marselus wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    My claim to fame was having beaten Life Force once without losing a single ship. Too bad no one was there to witness.

shocked shocked

For me, the Konami game that always gave me the hardest challenge was Castlevania III.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    HeeroJF wrote
    Marselus wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

shocked shocked

For me, the Konami game that always gave me the hardest challenge was Castlevania III.

Indeed, tough game. The one that gave me hours of pleasure was this one though, with amazing music by the way (how the hell did they programmed this games to be that good with the 80´s technology?!):

http://www.konamito.com/games/images/ca … _front.jpg (1987....my god I was 10 years old!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: E.T. the Extra Terrestrial (20th Anniversary Edition) - John Williams

Excellent score, with some very memorable themes! Gotta love Williams' use of Yoda's theme in The Magic of Halloween! biggrin