• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - James Horner

Third best score 2008 after Spiderwick and Indy 4. smile (And finally something again not sounding like Elfman, Zimmer or Glass sleep )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Boy in the striped Pyjama (Horner)

Eh! the first track has a gorgeous and tender piano theme!.....Can be this Horner's return?

Oh...wait, wait! "A beautiful Mind" secondary motif appears in the second track, an a sampled oboe version of the danger motif in the track "the funeral" (So what? We Know the Death is evil but anyway....), and the top of the "thing" the long "Strange new clothes" with the usual larger than life Horner strings and this typical piano notes in the middle.....

At least we have the classical oriented piano stuff, wich probably is a rip off of some classical composer, but it's still beautiful.

What a lovely theme! I listened to the entire album before I went to bed last night, it's a very relaxing listen. The middle part of the album lags a bit, but there's some genuinely interesting (and new) ideas from Horner. Fans of All The Kings Men will like this one I think.

All The Kings men is one of my all-time favorite Horner scores, so much melody and passion. Looking forward to this!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I would also like to know what's wrong with the pan pipes. If you're sick of pan pipes, that's one thing. If they're a blatant sample or poorly recorded or used unimaginatively, that's another thing altogether.

They're performed in a very standard way without a strong enough melody to back them up, their sound is very dry and they're completely out of place from the James Bond musical universe; not that Arnold seems to care a lot by introducing them, as well as stupid americana el.guitars, Santaolallisms and by eliminating the James Bond theme.
  2. NP: W (Paul Cantelon)

The whole score album can be played track-by-track from here:
    http://app.topspin.net/artist/215260/ho … _id=215260

It's not bad... some nice melodies at the heart of it. The orchestrations are all pretty straightforward and hymnal, which kind of makes sense when you think of Bush's powerbase in the electorate. (And his ability to appeal to so many people as well.) The best track is probably the lush, off-kilter version of the 'Delta Waltz' in 'Nightmare'. Moments made me chuckle, thinking - 'oh, you sly dogs, it sure sounds sincere, but I know it's poking fun ever so faintly.'
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Sadly I think Camille's theme is this Pan pipes motif

I highly doubt it. The pan pipes are likely going to be for Greene, and the them you are talking about probably is Camille's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: W (Paul Cantelon)

It's not bad... some nice melodies at the heart of it. The orchestrations are all pretty straightforward and hymnal, which kind of makes sense when you think of Bush's powerbase in the electorate. (And his ability to appeal to so many people as well.) The best track is probably the lush, off-kilter version of the 'Delta Waltz' in 'Nightmare'. Moments made me chuckle, thinking - 'oh, you sly dogs, it sure sounds sincere, but I know it's poking fun ever so faintly.'

Is he the "another girl" composer?
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I would also like to know what's wrong with the pan pipes. If you're sick of pan pipes, that's one thing. If they're a blatant sample or poorly recorded or used unimaginatively, that's another thing altogether.

They're performed in a very standard way without a strong enough melody to back them up, their sound is very dry and they're completely out of place from the James Bond musical universe; not that Arnold seems to care a lot by introducing them, as well as stupid americana el.guitars, Santaolallisms and by eliminating the James Bond theme.

But aren't all references to the countries Bond visits incorporated fairly haphazardly into the music. I'm thinking of:
    - the wailing vocals when the action moves to Georgia in THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
    - the castanets and mariachi trumpet in Cuba in DIE ANOTHER DAY
    - the Spanish guitar for the Spanish opening of TWINE
    - the faux-orientalism of Barry's 'Wedding' from YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    - the cliched Asian instrumentation that appears late in TOMORROW NEVER DIES
    - a bit of faux-sarangi during the snake charmer scene in that Roger Moore Bond film whose name I've thankfully gotten out of my head;
    biggrin

(Awaiting a lecture on how this is somehow completely different and worse than ever.)
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: W (Paul Cantelon)

Is he the "another girl" composer?

Yes, but unlike 'The Other Boleyn Girl', I can see why he kept the orchestrations pretty basic. I'm not so keen on that other score.
  5. Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I highly doubt it. The pan pipes are likely going to be for Greene, and the them you are talking about probably is Camille's.

The pan pipes are probably going to be for Venezuela! wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

The pan pipes are probably going to be for Venezuela! wink

I don't know, there was that weird (what sounded like a) woodwind instrument used for Le Chiffre in CR. The awful source music will be definitely used for Venezuela though! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

But aren't all references to the countries Bond visits incorporated fairly haphazardly into the music. I'm thinking of:
    - the wailing vocals when the action moves to Georgia in THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
    - the castanets and mariachi trumpet in Cuba in DIE ANOTHER DAY
    - the Spanish guitar for the Spanish opening of TWINE
    - the faux-orientalism of Barry's 'Wedding' from YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    - the cliched Asian instrumentation that appears late in TOMORROW NEVER DIES
    - a bit of faux-sarangi during the snake charmer scene in that Roger Moore Bond film whose name I've thankfully gotten out of my head;
    biggrin

(Awaiting a lecture on how this is somehow completely different and worse than ever.)

Too right, sir.

What's with all this "it's not Bond music" rubbish? Does every Bond score have to follow a strict set of rules? No. Should Arnold be able to explore his own ideas more? Certainly.

Oh, and I LIKE pan pipes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I wonder if your reaction would be the same if Williams did the same with the Indiana Jones or the Star Wars musical universe. And don't tell me that you too don't consider the original Bond theme a basic, necessary ingredient to every Bond film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008 edited
    But that actually is a different kettle of fish. The Bond films have evolved into something very modern - Indiana Jones and Star Wars have and will probably always have a specific style, so it's not a good comparison. New Bond means new approaches. And that's what Arnold is doing I guess.

Yes, the Bond theme is important. But have you seen the movie? How do we know that the relative little use of the Bond theme isn't a good idea? It's a necessary ingredient for sure, but would we be complaining if it was overused I wonder?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Bad Boys II - Trevor Rabin

Quite kick-ass! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think CR proved that you can have a Bond movie without the Bond theme. When I first heard the score to that I thought it was missing a big chunk, but after seeing the movie you understand why it's not always needed. The same goes for Q and Moneypenny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly.

I just don't like this idea that a Bond movie has to conform to the exact same approach as, say, Goldfinger. The 60s are over. The new Bond is here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote But that actually is a different kettle of fish. The Bond films have evolved into something very modern - Indiana Jones and Star Wars have and will probably always have a specific style, so it's not a good comparison. New Bond means new approaches. And that's what Arnold is doing I guess. Yes, the Bond theme is important. But have you seen the movie? How do we know that the relative little use of the Bond theme isn't a good idea? It's a necessary ingredient for sure, but would we be complaining if it was overused I wonder?

Well, the lack of the Bond theme and / or its largely diminished usage is not what bothers me primarily but the poor sound and amateuristic handling of the largest part of the score, i.e. everything that is NOT action and dominates the largest part of it as uninteresting underscore.

The additions matching the various places Bond visits and that you mentioned could be done indeed and i am not against them; i wonder if you really understand what i am saying here though, that I don't mind that they exist, but that they are being done is such dry and simple way, largely departed from the coherent, tight and so well-arranged and well-written action tracks on the other hand. Especially when coming from a man like Arnold who's proven in the past numerous times that he can write in various musical styles musically and effectively; it's really disturbing to me to hear amateuristic Santaolallisms or Tarantino-isms without the slightest indication of actually trying to incorporate and change that source music a bit so that it wouldn't sound like a dry lift-off that took you 5 minutes to write and half an hour to record.

All my objections to this are purely MUSICAL. Why is the difference in musical quality between the action cues and the underscore SO VAST? I am not complaining about the number of the action cues 'cause this could pretty much be dictated by the needs of the movie and i can wholly understand it. Why is there SO MUCH UNINSPIRED undescore snoozing in there is what i am asking as well and please don't tell me that all underscore is boring and dry. I’d love it if you could put the fan in you to sleep for just a minute in order to – at least – try to understand my point. I am not saying i am the right one and you aren't but i feel i am being misunderstood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    I think CR proved that you can have a Bond movie without the Bond theme. When I first heard the score to that I thought it was missing a big chunk, but after seeing the movie you understand why it's not always needed. The same goes for Q and Moneypenny.

Only CR is a largely better and more coherent musical work in total. See my post above.
    Steven wrote
    Exactly.

I just don't like this idea that a Bond movie has to conform to the exact same approach as, say, Goldfinger. The 60s are over. The new Bond is here.

I agree with you and i never shared this sentiment. See above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I’d love it if you could put the fan in you to sleep for just a minute

Never.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I’d love it if you could put the fan in you to sleep for just a minute

Never.

I believed it'd be much easier for you to NOT take that sentence in the way you did. Do i really have to go into the 'i don't mean it harshly as i too and all of us are primarily fans, but more like means of a more realistic approach to new film music instead' everytime? i thought it was pretty obvious so far but either me is the one messing it up each time and actually THINK i am talking in a different mood that should be apprehended automatically or some people are just stubborn wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Um, I think you were the one who took my response the wrong way. You over-complicate things dude!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, that could be the case indeed. I should include this 3rd option in my response to that. But screw this, what about the question? I can wholly understand if you don't want to reply on that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    <shrugs>

I just like the score for what it is at the moment and I'm looking forward to hearing it in context. Don't really have much else to say about it at this point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ok, fair enough smile
  6. Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo III

Another friendly revisit. Haven't listened to the trilogy since I reviewed it on my website. Not that I forgot how great the scores were. Demetris, you heard the trilogy before?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes but i don't recall much detail. I have to re-listen shame
  7. Do it and later compare it to Tyler's score, which is fun, but I can't really compare. For me it's a big difference in Goldsmith's favor - with his playful rhythms, brutal orchestrations and perfect combination with electronics (mind you though that the SOUNDS aren't always perfect, Goldsmith liked to fart with the synths at some point).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I remember there were a lot of bombastic, gripping action cues in there and of course the marvelous themes as well as disturbing synth underscore. But no matter how much i like large parts of the Rambo by Tyler, i know i'd have huge difficulties actually placing it above Goldsmith's.
  8. Disturbing it may sound (for me) only in part two, where really Goldsmith farts at times, but the mindless bombast of the orchestration makes up for it, especially with Jerry's renowned knack for odd meters and stuff like that. Except a part here and there, the synths are the best in part 3, where he goes off with some romanticism. When it comes to the sheer brutality and dramatism, First Blood wins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    First Blood is where i have the fondest of memories too. But generally speaking, i can't stand Goldsmith's synths.