• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008
    NP: Trailerhead - Immediate Music

Has some great stuff!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008 edited
    NP: The Cat Returns - Yuji Nomi

Compared to Whisper Of The Heart, this score is more orchestral and sounds more classical. Emotionally it's not as subtle as Whisper, and a little more comedic, because of the film's nature.

Though I loved the new theme for Baron, brief appearances of Baron's old theme from Whisper made me happy! (especially when it's played by bigger orchestra) smile

5 bonus "Image Music" tracks (a kind of demo suites, usually released as "Image Album" but not in this case) are very good listening experience.

I really want to hear more of his works, so I was searching about him. There isn't much information, but it seems he has an interesting background. No musical education, after he dropped out science/engineering faculty he started studying paintings... and then ended up becoming music arranger/composer! shocked biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Played half of JAMES HORNER - Boy in The Striped Pyjamas (Itunes) but too many synths put me off; will re-visit later though 'cause there are enough textures in there (although most sound like improvisations) to keep me going when in the mood.

]

The vocals are sampled ( i guess from A beautiful Mind), the oboes are sampled (this synthetic Version of the Danger motif...Annoying!).....

The mood of this score it seems more for a family movie than for a movie with this thematic ( i doesn't read the book , thought). The piano theme, the first track, is beautiful but too classical oriented.

Horner is trading water in my opinion with scores like these (House sand and Fog, Life Before...).

NP:World is not enought (Arnold)

Dammed one guy stole my original cd! so now I have to listen it in mp3!

"Pimpilne" and "welcome to Baku" are still some of my favourites tracks by Arnold. And the Electra theme is beautiful!
  1. The trumpet is live in Funeral, Jordi.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:World is not enought (Arnold)
    "Pimpilne" and "welcome to Baku" are still some of my favourites tracks by Arnold.

Pimp what?! biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The trumpet is live in Funeral, Jordi.

Agreed. You hear things that doesn´t exist Jordi.....
  2. Yeah, and of course it's not an oboe biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Sorry, then it should be: you hear things and instruments that doesn´t exist Jordi...
  3. Instrument is also a thing, you know biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote
    Interview with the Vampire - amazing Goldenthal as usual

Haven't read the books.

I have, well before the films.
    As said, I'm quite into vampires, and I do enjoy a lot of fiction out there, but Anne Rice sadly tries/d way too hard to give her style a Victorian gothic slant, and loses herself (and her reader) in page upon page upon page of anguished and emotionally deeply conflicted characters, agonizing about utter minutiae. Rice desperately tries to do a Brönte, but fails to realize that 1) this ISN'T the 19th century any more, and I as a reader -amazingly- am aware of that little temporal quirk (as I'm aware of the Bröntes having written over 150 years ago, and therefore able to transplant myself into that time to overcome the psychological development, language and pacing which are horridly outdated by todays standards) 2) SHE ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

Rice writes guilded pulp.
    If she were to stick to her own style, rather than to desperatley try and adopt that of a bygone era, it would have been good. VERY good, even, and she might have been a seminal influence in the annals of pulp fiction (ranking with such luminaries as Lovecraft, even, or Tanith Lee).
    Now, it's just annoying.

The second book in her "Lestat" trilogy "The Vampire Lestat" is the most accessible and interesting in a Dracula A.D. 1974 kind of vein (what does a four hundred old vampire do in the twentieth century? Start a rock band of course!).
    The first one is just interminable in an extremely annoying way.
    The third one simply isn't very good (rushed ending, unsatisfying).

She wrote some other fiction (like Servant Of The Bones), proving she can really tell an interesting story in a really interesting manner, though. It's just her vampire works that I think are indigestible to others than the most die-hard goth-emo adolescent Victorian wannabes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES HORNER - Boy in The Striped Pyjamas

Starting to like it a lot, the main theme and the general piano usage are very soothing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Starting to like it a lot, the main theme and the general piano usage are very soothing.

It's another meditative listen but it doesn't really do anything special. It's standard piano/synth driven Horner which we have heard in countless scores. Nothing special here. Save your money. BTW, the danger motif has to DIE!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The main theme is special.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I just finished with Christopher Gordon's Circa which is a wonderful smorgasbord of previous Gordon compositions brought together into one piece. Great to hear variations of his Commonweath Games, Sydney A Story of a City, Centenary of Federation music in this context!

NP: Concerto For Bass Trombone and Orchestra - Christopher Gordon

This is a live recording of the concerto and the only one available. I love the deep rumbles of the bass trombone. And orchestral material surrounding it is pure Gordon magic! He is easily one of my Top 5 living film composers. Stunning work!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    The main theme is special.

Bah!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's another meditative listen but it doesn't really do anything special. It's standard piano/synth driven Horner which we have heard in countless scores. Nothing special here. Save your money. BTW, the danger motif has to DIE!!!

-Erik-

It's quite calming and soothing based on piano improvisations mainly, which gives it an air of mild incoherence at places but yeah, nothing big. I find that a lot of people will love it, especially as an easy background listen but why the hell all those synths should be there in these smaller Horner scores? Aren't they dated enough for 2008?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

It's quite calming and soothing based on piano improvisations mainly, which gives it an air of mild incoherence at places but yeah, nothing big. I find that a lot of people will love it, especially as an easy background listen but why the hell all those synths should be there in these smaller Horner scores? Aren't they dated enough for 2008?

Interesting that Honer composed a far more interesting synth/piano based score for The Life Before Her Eyes

BTW, the synths don't bother me. They've been with Horner since the early years and it just another "sound" or "instrument" that Horner can use that is distinctly Horner. I mean, the violin has sounded the same for hundreds and hundreds of years so why should Horner change the sound of his synths... which, IMHO, sound far more interesting then other synths used in film score today and really compliment the orchestra or scores of this scale.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They are, and he knows how to use them pretty good. But some parts of it sound rather "Vangelis"
    or "Jean Michelle Jarre" of 80s-90s and personally i don't go bananas over. The same piano themes combined with the sound of a small string orchestra would for SO much better result imo. And it's not like he can't get them to do so, it's Horner for God's sake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KLAUS BADELT - poseidon

I know the score's fans are probably 12 in the whole wide world wink I donot frequently revisit but i do like large parts of it, like the opening "the poseidon", the heroic main theme and the standard grand Media Ventures' action writing of "the wave". I haven't watched the film though which i heard it's a big flop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    KLAUS BADELT - poseidon

I know the score's fans are probably 12 in the whole wide world wink I donot frequently revisit but i do like large parts of it, like the opening "the poseidon", the heroic main theme and the standard grand Media Ventures' action writing of "the wave". I haven't watched the film though which i heard it's a big flop.

It is pretty brainless fun, but a flop after all. At least they had the decency of going to the point and solve it in 90 minutes. As for the score, the only good moments are the opening ("The Poseidon") and the finale ("Escape").
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    They are, and he knows how to use them pretty good. But some parts of it sound rather "Vangelis"
    or "Jean Michelle Jarre" of 80s-90s and personally i don't go bananas over. The same piano themes combined with the sound of a small string orchestra would for SO much better result imo. And it's not like he can't get them to do so, it's Horner for God's sake.

I didn't hear it that way but then aain I've only listened to it once. Can you show me an example? What irritates me about Vangelis and Jarre of the 80's is the replacing of real instruments with synths. Or in better terms trying to get synths to sound like real instruments and failing miserably. I don't think Horner with Pajama's or Before Her Eyes was replacing real instruments or players with the synth which is why I like and can appreciate Horner's approach to these smaller scores.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    KLAUS BADELT - poseidon

Dynamite main theme... but I can do without the rest.

Now look what you have gone made me do...

NP: Poseidon - Klaus Badelt

Just the main theme and "The Wave" then I'm moving onto something I've wanted to do for a really long time... and listen to the complete score to Ben-Hur for the next 2 hours and 30 minutes. Whew! Let's see if I can make it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Horner's synths in some parts of the boy sound like trying to replace a real orchestra. Will find specific tracks for you but it's easy to hear it yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Horner's synths in some parts of the boy...

That is the weirdest thing you've ever said. And there have been a few.. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Horner's synths in some parts of the boy...

That is the weirdest thing you've ever said. And there have been a few.. biggrin

Me? angelic
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    How To Lose Friends And Alienate People | David Arnold

I guess it's Arnold trying to be Shapiro...but it comes off well and is very groovy. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Casper~James Horner
    I'm sitting on my new, beautiful,blue sofa eating boiled and butter corn and reading a book about Sparti!It's such a sweet and funny score and I think it matches the moment!God!IAm I turning to an old,respectable lady?!? shocked
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Stavroula wrote
    I'm sitting on my new, beautiful,blue sofa eating boiled and butter corn and reading a book about Sparti!It's such a sweet and funny score and I think it matches the moment!God!I'm I turning to an old,respectable lady?!? shocked

YES! One of my favourite scores of all time! The End Credits are particularly beautiful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    I'm sitting on my new, beautiful,blue sofa eating boiled and butter corn and reading a book about Sparti!It's such a sweet and funny score and I think it matches the moment!God!I'm I turning to an old,respectable lady?!? shocked

Nah, won't happen. You'll always be a beautiful rebel in my eyes.*

*May contain elements of a cheap pick-up line

Sabrina John Williams

Ahh, what a score. Charming, laid-back and beautiful - just like me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Stavroula wrote

Between 1994 and 1998 Horner created a pile of gems. 1995 was an especially fruitful year - with the exception of Jade - Horner could do no wrong and Casper was a fabulous score!

-Erik-