• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Saw this over at FSM:

Jon Burlingame has an interesting story in Variety about a new "Music for Visual Media" department at super-agency WME. Most of the story is about Amos Newman, son of Randy, whom Ari Emmanuel picked to lead the new department. Zimmer is the highest profile get for Newman so far.

But I know there are a lot of Roque Banos fans here and there is this nugget in there as well:

Spanish composer Roque Banos, a recent WME addition, will be writing one for Ron Howard’s 19th-century shipwreck saga “Heart of the Sea.” Zimmer, who has done five films for Howard, recommended Banos, but as Banos says, “a big part of me doing this score was because Amos was fighting for it.”
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Hans actually set up a studio for Banos in Remote Control Productions for Banos, to facilitate the communication between him and the director. As he told me, he's very excited about the project, because "he loves both" the director and composer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014
    God bless Hans.

(please don't shoot me)
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Scribe wrote
    God bless Hans.

(please don't shoot me)

How about just tazering?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014
    justin boggan wrote
    Scribe wrote
    God bless Hans.

(please don't shoot me)

How about just tazering?

Dat's fine I except my deserved punishment yo....
  4. Acknowledging it is the first step. Prepare to be tazed, bro.
  5. Stop violence in education! stopwar

wink Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. I fucked up -- FilmMusicReporter.com reported this assignement a few months ago. I completely forgot about it.
  7. "Whiplash" (recorded)
    Justin Hurwitz
    Source: resume of somebody who worked on it.

I've not heard of him or the film.
  8. justin boggan wrote
    I've not heard of him or the film.

Then no offense, but why mention it?
  9. No offense, but why do you care? Or are only known composers allowed to be talked about?
  10. "Quitters"
    "The American Side"

David Shire
    Source: agency resume for the composer.

"The Field" (2015)
    "Beyond Paradise"
    "Seal Team Eight: Behind Enemy Lines"
    "Encender el Corazón"
    (documentary)
    Mark Kilian
    Source: agency resume for the composer.
  11. I don't really care, I just find it curious. If it was an unknown composer who you had actually heard the music of, think is talented and would like to share with the community, that would make a lot more sense. But I'm not sure who stands to gain from what you're doing. It's basically "a movie came out somewhere and it had some score by some composer". Sure, great...but it doesn't really tell us anything, does it? confused
  12. Yeah, see, that's a bit more interesting. Because David Shire hasn't had many assignments recently (Zodiac is pretty much the only score of his I know that isn't from the 70s!). smile
  13. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    ...It's basically "a movie came out somewhere and it had some score by some composer". Sure, great...but it doesn't really tell us anything, does it? confused

So you would never think...

"Oh, here's a name I've not heard of before. That's interesting. I'll keep an eye out for this. I may even do a little research about the composer, see if he's released anything before. If he has, maybe I'll take a listen and see what it's like. It's good to broaden my exposure to composers."

No?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  14. I suppose I would. But I have a hard enough time as it is keeping up with all of the composers I do know!
  15. He appears to be a fairly new composer, and this is his second score. He's normally, according to IMDb, a writer and he's written one episode of "The Simpsons".
  16. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I suppose I would. But I have a hard enough time as it is keeping up with all of the composers I do know!

It is worth trying to keep one eye on the lesser-known composers. Sometimes they can be a bit more creative than what's being written for "mainstream" films. Sure, there's a lot of simple, generic stuff too but you can come across some great stuff. Sometimes all it takes is a browse through your preferred digital store.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  17. In that case I'd rather keep an eye on the forums. Usually if there's something really good then sooner or later someone will be talking about it. Yeah, that's kind of lazy, but oh well. wink

Being a faithful MovieScore Media customer helps. smile
  18. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Being a faithful MovieScore Media customer helps. smile

I would agree that MovieScore Media's label is a good place to hear little-known composers, but the majority of their recent releases - in my opinion - have been very poor listening experiences.
  19. I'm assuming by "recent" you mean "this month" or so because Stalingrad and Grand Piano were both pretty incredible scores, I thought!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014
    Who... WHO... is scoring the next Hunger Games? I've been hoping for an exclusive revelation here at maintitles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014
    James Newton Howard is scoring the new HUNGER GAMES called CATCHING FIRE. Or so I've heard.
    I am extremely serious.
  20. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm assuming by "recent" you mean "this month" or so because Stalingrad and Grand Piano were both pretty incredible scores, I thought!

Do you just speed read comments or just cherry-pick from comments? "Majority" implies most and not all.

To be clear, I think that most - but not all - of their releases over the last few months have been disappointing. There are some stunning releases that make MovieScore Media a label to watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    James Newton Howard is scoring the new HUNGER GAMES called CATCHING FIRE. Or so I've heard.

Ah, that's great news. I loved his score for Mac and Me.
  21. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm assuming by "recent" you mean "this month" or so because Stalingrad and Grand Piano were both pretty incredible scores, I thought!

Do you just speed read comments or just cherry-pick from comments? "Majority" implies most and not all.

To be clear, I think that most - but not all - of their releases over the last few months have been disappointing. There are some stunning releases that make MovieScore Media a label to watch.

Fair enough - I just felt like it's unfair to overlook those two gems in their recent repertoire. I guess that's the price to pay for showcasing stuff that would otherwise not get a release; you win some, you lose some, but on the whole, the wins more than make up for the losses IMO. smile
  22. I'm not sure if Justin has posted about this one yet, but Mark McKenzie on his facebook page says he's nearly done scoring a third DRAGONHEART film: DRAGONHEART: DRUID'S CURSE.

He also said that he is to score "two fantastic huge films" about which he couldn't say anything yet.

Sounds promising!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014 edited
    christopher wrote
    I'm not sure if Justin has posted about this one yet, but Mark McKenzie on his facebook page says he's nearly done scoring a third DRAGONHEART film: DRAGONHEART: DRUID'S CURSE.

He also said that he is to score "two fantastic huge films" about which he couldn't say anything yet.

Sounds promising!

smile smile smile smile smile smile smile

McKenzie has a way of with each of his climactic cues that I feel as if he is grabbing deep into my chest and wrenching out my heart with such violence that I mistake him for an Aztec priest, until I realize he is only giving said organ a wonderfully strong massage and then stroking it into a state of afterglowishly blissful elation. Every new score of his might as well represent six to fourteen months of my life spent with a different girlfriend...except that he only asks half a dozen hours for the same depth of pleasure that a girlfriend might require half a dozen hundred hours. There is no better deal on the planet, people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014 edited
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014
    Really?

For me, McKenzie is often a little "too obvious" and straightforward in his melodies and orchestrations, but I still enjoy a lot of his work. DURANGO gets frequent spins over here, for example.

For me, he falls into the group of composers whose music is "pretty to look at" and is good pastiche, but which doesn't always have a sufficient sense of originality. Joel McNeely and John Debney are other practitioners.
    I am extremely serious.