• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    Martijn wrote

Speaking of which, isn't Superman vs. Batman still on for production at some point in this millennium?

Yep!
  1. "The App Killer" seems to have been removed from Young's site -- guess he's been replaced. Did a quick search and don't see anybody else scoring it yet.

But he's scoring another new film, "The Baytown Disco" (could we have a disco score coming?).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. "Last Stand"
    Alan Silvestri
    Source: Don't have one -- IMDB lists this in his filmorgraphy. Arnold Schwarzenegger is in it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011
    Why isn't Howard returning for the Dark Knight sequel? His contributions were about the only thing I liked from Nolan's Batman film scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Blu wrote
    Why isn't Howard returning for the Dark Knight sequel? His contributions were about the only thing I liked from Nolan's Batman film scores.

JNH has a busy schedule for 2012. I prefer him to work alone and not with Zimmer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To me he seemed to play a poor second to Zimmer's work in Batman, I won't miss him but then, I don't like either of the Batman scores though they work fine within the films.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    Really? No love for "Harvey Two-Face" suite? I think that's one of Howard's finest. smile
    I will miss him. Without his contributions the Batman scores are just plain sound-design.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011 edited
    Howard was initially my favourite composer when I got into film scores, and many on this forum will probably associate me with his name because of it. He's still one of my favourite living composers but sadly I have to admit that many others have overtaken him in recent years, despite my vicious appreciation for his earlier works, many of which I hold very close to my heart. The Batman scores are certainly not an accurate representation of his capabilities, even though many say his contribution is the best of the two composers involved. I don't care anymore. Bleugh. Bah humbug. Etc. Port. Cough. Splutter. Drunk. James Horner. Etc. Port. Sleep. Zzzzz. More Port.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011
    By the way, I really like Port.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011
    LSH wrote
    Howard was initially my favourite composer when I got into film scores, and many on this forum will probably associate me with his name because of it. He's still one of my favourite living composers but sadly I have to admit that many others have overtaken him in recent years, despite my vicious appreciation for his earlier works, many of which I hold very close to my heart. The Batman scores are certainly not an accurate representation of his capabilities, even though many say his contribution is the best of the two composers involved. I don't care anymore. Bleugh. Bah humbug. Etc. Port. Cough. Splutter. Drunk. James Horner. Etc. Port. Sleep. Zzzzz. More Port.

JNH was also my favorite composer when I got into film scores (in 2002) and he still is. Even after I discovered the asian composers (Joe Hisaishi, Taro Iwashiro, Michiru Oshima, Yugo Kanno) JNH remains my favorite but Joe Hisaishi is now right there sharing the number 1 spot with JNH.

By the way which earlier works are you talking about, his 1990-2000?
  3. "Last Will & Testament" (documentary)
    Graeme Revell
    Source: production's website stating Revell is signed to score it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011
    http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/se … mit=Search

If you scroll down through the first 18 titles in the Marco Polo you'll find two in the film series that Morgan/Stromberg produced at $4.99 each.
    tom
    listen to more classical music!
  4. "Finding Joy"
    Jeff Cardoni
    Source: his News page at his website saying he's started work on it.
  5. I come with Yuletide bitchings!

So, who might score the upcoming remake of "Logan's Run"?

Well, I hope youy're ready to bitch!

The director has asked an instrumental artist named Johnny Jewel.

I actually will say that I probably will almost never write for a movie. It has to be something really, really good. Nick talked to me a little bit about Logan’s Run. He mentioned it and was just trying to feel out if I was interested, and I was telling him about how on my 30th birthday, I had a party and I had a blinking stone in my hand, because I was super into that movie and obsessed with the idea of turning 30 or whatever. So that’s something I’ve been doing. So in 2013, they’re doing a script for it. They’re working on a screenplay next year, after they do Only God Forgives.[But] I’m not out there trying to apply for jobs or work for movies. It’s hard, and I mean, if you have taste, it’s really hard. That’s something you take seriously.

His name accidently came to my attention because apparently he said he had a score rejected for "Drive" (the recent film).
    http://collider.com/johnny-jewel-drive- … e/133925/.

Anyway, if you want to btich, then listen to the music on the streaming player. Now imagine, as much as you might not like Jerry's effort, what you feel when you hear this.....
  6. Composer Lakshman Joseph de Saram's Facebook says he just finished his score to "Bel ami", so I guess that means he's replace Rachel Portman's score, recorded last year.
  7. "Zambezia" (recorded)
    Bruce Retief
    Source: production studio's website.

Looks exactly like one of those CGI animation films you'd expect to see Hans Zimmer or Lorne Balfe attached to. In other words, it looks aweful. Never heard of the composer before, but hey -- newbie to a give a chance, who used the Hollywood Studio Symphony orchestra.

"The Munsters" (TV movie; recorded)
    James Michael Dooley
    Source: place that recorded it.
  8. Robert Gulya is scoring Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, the new film with Jake T. Austin, Joel Courtney and Katherine McNamara.

Source: https://twitter.com/#!/Joel_Courtney/st … 6188445696

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1977087/

Here's his website:

http://www.robertgulya.com/
  9. That could be an interesting assignment! Has he ever done anything with Americana in it?
  10. "Byzantium"
    George Fenton
    Source: none; some FSM member says Fenton is scoring this upcoming Neil Jordan vampire movie. I would take a guess and speculate he'll reuse some of his rejected score to the Neil Jordan vampire movie "Interview With the Vampire".
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012
    Wonderful news!!!!!

I hope someone can confirm the source. The works of George Fenton for movies by Neil Jordan are fantastics: Company of wolves, High Spirits, We´re not angels and the suite of Interview of the vampire. They are great works!!
  11. That suite, by the way, is a live re-recording. Hopefully some label like LLLR will rectify his rejected score not being on CD yet.

EDIT:

I guess they're keeping Lockington's "Journey 2" score after all -- a CD has been announced.
  12. It's not often I post about a title mentioned on FilmMusicReporter -- I just let people find that, but a new one caught my eye.
    They are reporting Craig Armstrong will score "The Great Gatsby".

If it's anything like his softer string passages and lush material from "Romeo + Juliet", it could be interesting. In fact, I wish some specialty label would handle "Romeo + Juliet".
  13. Mikael, even though you no longer maintain a list of upcoming scores, am I able to pass two by you to see if they have been replaced, or still being kept?
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012
    justin boggan wrote

EDIT:

I guess they're keeping Lockington's "Journey 2" score after all -- a CD has been announced.

And a pretty damn good score it is too! Will definitely be getting this.
  14. "Cheerful Weather for the Wedding"
    "Fantastic Fear of Everything" (recorded)
    Michael Price and David Arnold
    Source: new interview has Arnold saying these are his upcoing projects, but a quick search shows Prince, who's been working with Arnold as of late, is scoring them. I guess it's a case of passed collaborations with Arnold providing the theme music (maybe more cues).
  15. "Down to Earth" (documentary)
    Stephen Warbeck

"Richard II" (TV movie)
    Adam Cork
    Source for both: agency website.
  16. FilmMusicReporter.com is reporting the composer for "Dredd" (the Judge Dredd remake) is:

Paul Leonard-Morgan.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/01/24 … ing-dredd/
  17. "It Is No Dream: The Story of Theodor Herzl" (decumentary; recorded)
    Lee Holdridge
    Source: various site, including one guy who worked on it.

Sample:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … hsNu7G4IHQ

I hope Intrada does this one, too.

I may have already reported this:
    "Max Rose"
    Michel Legrand
    Source: interview with Legrand where he says so.

"The Best Offer"
    Ennio Morricone
    Source: news article.

"The Haunting of Harry Payne"
    Rick Wakeman
    Source: film's website.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012
    Nice to see another assignment for Morricone.
    I am extremely serious.
  18. justin boggan wrote (October 30, 2011)

"Odd Thomas"
    Speculation: Danny Elfman
    Source: A music editor says on his site he [the editor] was hired, and an update on his Facebook page shows recording has started. While it's a Stephen Sommors film, the editor works almost entirely for Elfman, and never for Silvestri.

Okay, confirmaton: I was close, it is a compsoer the music editor works with, but not Elfman as I speculated. It was John Swihart.

Music editor's Facebook says on the 17th work was stating the next day on the score to "Dark Shadows" (Elfman), if anybody likes that kind of early info.