• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    No Sibelius' VALSE TRISTE, THE SWAN OF TUONELA, EN SAGA? Huge omissions.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Putting it like that, there's already been countless omissions, plus the thread only began yesterday. Any explanation as to why that would be good for a film music fan?
  1. I've been surprised how much of the music mentioned here is older material actually. I thought this was mostly meant to be a thread about more contemporary stuff.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    With my suggestions at least, I wanted people to shy away from modern compositions and check out the older stuff.

1) Because it's awesome, 2) because it's interesting to hear where influences come from and 3) I'm not that familiar with modern concert music! I've only suggested Romantic and early 20th century music thus far. I think a film music fan would be most comfortable with these eras considering it's where film music has gotten most of its influence from.

Anyway, I'll continue to add to the list of what I think would be good for a film music fan and I hope other people do too. I want some suggestions too!
  2. I think I just misread your original post as saying that perhaps recent non-film music might satisfy people unsatisfied with recent film music. No probs!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

I't not about "omissions" D, it's about in-put and not giving out a long list of names and works with no descriptions.

Sibelius is a great composer but looking at your list I see you have left out many of his works.

Why don't you add to this thread by explaining what makes Sibelius such a great artist for the film music fan to explore!? smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Also Finlandia.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Also Finlandia.

Yeah, i forgot about that; top stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I't not about "omissions" D, it's about in-put and not giving out a long list of names and works with no descriptions.

Sibelius is a great composer but looking at your list I see you have left out many of his works.

Why don't you add to this thread by explaining what makes Sibelius such a great artist for the film music fan to explore!? smile

Exactly. I think as soon as anyone mentions 'omissions' it becomes a slippery slope to endless lists. Hate those things! slant
  4. I would recommend something older. The Mozart Clarinet Concerto, particularly the slower part (at this moment I don't remember if it's a Largo or Andante). You will hear a lot of Zimmer comedy music there - As Good As It Gets and Nine Months (and possibly his fondness of clarinet in comedy scores or general clarinet as a woodwind for quite a long while) were heavily inspired.

Also an important piece is Mozart's Requiem, particularly Lacrimosa - it defined Zimmer's dramatic writing for quite a while.

I guess everybody knows Barber's Adagio for Strings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008 edited
    Excellent suggestions, I LOVE Mozart's Clarinet Concerto - so relaxing. Though the reason I've 'shunned' Classical/Renaissance/Baroque from my own recommendations is because I think that era of classical music can actually put a lot of film music inclined fans off somewhat (I think perhaps in Erik's case at least?). The orchestra during these periods was rarely (if ever?) used to its full sound we hear today, and I'm guessing that generally a film music fan would lean toward the fuller sound heard in the Romantic era and onwards?

It's very easy for a non-classical fan to forget that not every classical piece sounded like Mozart, and that's really than main gist of my recommendations.
  5. That's true.

From Romantic music a must-have is Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. The first work ever based on a main theme, I guess. Berlioz called it "idee fixe". An important and great piece, I would say too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh snap, I have that one. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a listen later on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008 edited
    I really think that the starting point for anyone interested in other music listening needs to define what they are interested in listening to now. People interested in listening to Steiner (very few on this board) would enjoy different works than someone who enjoys Goldenthal. Having said that another work that I can strongly recommend to all if you like golden age material is Scheherazade. The nice thing about this work is that it is probably free for you. I would say that most libraries have a copy. You'll begin to understand how orchestration works by repeated listens to this fine composition. Rimsky was a master at orchestration along with creating some wonderful melodies. But you'll find this rather boring if your taste leans toward what Micheal likes. Since I really enjoy the older material this work is a perfect complement.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Rimsky-Korsakov even wrote a book about orchestration smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    He certainly did. I have it in my modest library and also recommend it if your interested in orchestration.
    Thomas smile
  7. How is it called, "Principles of Orchestration"? I know that Steven Smith referred to it in his Herrmann biography.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Orches … 0486212661

Somewhat reasonable in price also.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    I really think that the starting point for anyone interested in other music listening needs to define what they are interested in listening to now. People interested in listening to Steiner (very few on this board) would enjoy different works than someone who enjoys Goldenthal. Having said that another work that I can strongly recommend to all if you like golden age material is Scheherazade. The nice thing about this work is that it is probably free for you. I would say that most libraries have a copy. You'll begin to understand how orchestration works by repeated listens to this fine composition. Rimsky was a master at orchestration along with creating some wonderful melodies. But you'll find this rather boring if your taste leans toward what Micheal likes. Since I really enjoy the older material this work is a perfect complement.
    Thomas smile

What's a library?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

Scheherazade is a beautiful work and one of the most lushly romantic pieces imaginable, I double your recommendation Tom. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

Giacchino, Michael - Camden 2000
    Giacchino, Michael - The Holy Cross Fight Song

-Erik-

Where can I get these??
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Figures.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Schwa?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Out of the many many fine suggestions already made, your attention is only swayed towards the Giacchinos! biggrin
  8. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Somehow I think that this is going off course.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Reason why SIBELIUS is a must-listen for any film music lover is because due to the heavily descriptive nature of his programme music, rich melodic texture and amazing arrangements, he's probably closer to film music than any other before (save for Wagner perhaps) and all-time classics like THE SWAN OF TUONELA, FINLANDIA, VALSE TRISTE and EN SAGA are simply brilliant and most likely to charm, amaze and win film music lovers too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I once heard Wagner's music being described as better than it sounds.
  9. lol

I can't somehow get into him much, I should...