• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. franz_conrad wrote
    Elaborating on a few of my choices above. I was trying to pick very recent stuff that would only have come out in the last three years or so.

- Dharma at Big Sur (electric violin concerto) / My Father Knew Charles Ives (John Adams)
    This was a double album that came out 2 years ago. Dharma at Big Sur is a musical portrait of sorts of a Californian Buddhist community (Adams is based in California), and the electric violin soli suit the serenity one would expect from that subject. For me the real treasure here is the three movement My Father Knew Charles Ives. Charles Ives was an early 20th century American composer based in New England, and his music often interpolated the melodies of others in a dense polyphonic texture where the sources became bent beyond recognition (but not always). The most famous work of his, which has been used in many films, is the solemn tone poem 'The Unanswered Question' - where musical ideas float over the listener in something a bit more like a collage than a conventional composition. Now Adams' father didn't actually know Charles Ives, but they would have walked the same streets of New England, and had similar temperaments. The Adams composition attempts a collage composition in the spirit of Ives, but charged with the composer's own minimalist energy. You'll appreciate it more if you know a bit of Ives' work.

- New Impossibilities (Silk Road Ensemble - Yo Yo Ma et al)
    This is the third Silk Road album from Yo Yo Ma's ensemble, and I reckon it equals the first, featuring fewer compositions of longer length than the more fragmented second album (which was of course excellent in its own way). The highlight for me is the ensemble's reworking of Osvaldo Golijov's 'Night of the Flying Horses' for far earthier tone colours that anyone would have heard it before. There are other pleasures however - 'Arabian Waltz' is spirited and energetic; 'Song of the Eight Unruly Poets' could be an action cue with its syncopated percussion and brass; 'The Silent City' has a great pulsating string rhythm; and this album's performance of the lengthy 'Ambush from Ten sides' is definitely another highpoint. You have to like 'world music', or music constructed from authentic period instruments to really enjoy this stuff. (There's no soft string backing here.) Lots of energy.
    Samples should be available from the three albums here: http://www.silkroadproject.org/music/re … ities.html

- Symphony 2 for string orchestra / Suite from the Red Violin (John Corigliano)
    I reviewed this album when it came out:
    http://www.musicweb-international.com/f … suite.html
    The five points of the symphony are a great journey. In 'Scherzo', you're racing somewhere with incredible speed, flying in the face of all danger. 'Nocturne' is a serene night in Morocco, the string voices approximating the blending of mullah voices calling all to prayer. 'Fugue' is an unusual asymmetrically-structured fugue where all serenity unravels. 'Postlude' reveals where we really were all along - a man dying of AIDS in the back of an ambulance, his life flashing before his eyes. This piece just wrecks me. It was a string quartet by Corigliano that he later expanded for full string orchestra (moments of it still feature a quartet at the centre), and he won the Pulitzer for it. It's not an easy listen at times - Corigliano is one of the key post-romantic composers of our time, mixing avante-garde harshness with the emotional intensity of late Romantic composition. As with his pupil Goldenthal, there are some very harsh edges.
    The suite from the Red Violin probably doesn't need to be talked up - if you like that score, you'll already know if you want more of it. I think this suite works a bit better than the full concerto.

- Oceana / Tenebrae / Three Songs (Osvaldo Golijov)
    I started to look into Golijov when I heard he was going to be scoring Coppola's Youth without Youth. (Note: he's also doing Tetro, Coppola's next film.) This was the album I started with, and it contains three works. Tenebrae is the highlight for me, a serenely beautiful two-movement work for string quartet. The Three Songs, which feature Dawn Upshaw, are also superb - containing much more than mere songs. The songs feature fine orchestrations and some great non-vocal moments as well - the highlight being the incredible 'Night of the Flying Horses', goes from a lullaby to a memorable two minute allegro finale. 'How Slow the Wind' is a reworking of a cello piece he wrote called 'Mariel', and its a haunting piece either way. 'Oceana' - the main work of the album - is one that I haven't quite warmed to, probably due to my lack of enthusiasm for classical choral music. It's growing on me with its multiple choirs, soloists, and Latin rhythms, but I would recommend this album for the other two works, which make it more than worth it.

More on the others later.

My Franz, what excellent elaborations there! I do hope you go to the effort of typing up all the others even though nobody is particularly interested. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    I read them. And then read them again. And then again. I couldn't work out if I was convinced or not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    Steven wrote
    I once heard Wagner's music being described as better than it sounds.

Of course some men would be found to go contra to one of the most important composers of all times and some of the most grand and influential music ever written.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. There is a bit more fact than opinion there... if you think about it, the reviews that will persuade you to buy something will usually appeal to an unarticulatable 'incredible' experience.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Of course some men would be found to go contra to one of the most important composers of all times and some of the most grand and influential music ever written.

I know personality is irrelevant when talking about the quality of music, but perhaps context is appropriate. Even Beethoven had trouble getting a performance in Europe post-WW2 due to the heavy usage of his music in Nazi rallies. How much more could Wagner expect a bit of criticism, being a vicious anti-semite whose family publicly announced their approval from Hitler practically before anyone else did? A lot of his newfound critics couldn't forget how connected the third reich was with the power of his music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

I know personality is irrelevant when talking about the quality of music, but perhaps context is appropriate. Even Beethoven had trouble getting a performance in Europe post-WW2 due to the heavy usage of his music in Nazi rallies. How much more could Wagner expect a bit of criticism, being a vicious anti-semite whose family publicly announced their approval from Hitler practically before anyone else did? A lot of his newfound critics couldn't forget how connected the third reich was with the power of his music.

I know and you're right to put in perspective mate and you're absolutely spot-on on what you observe here, but i personally like give more weight to the music alone. Wagner is - factually - one of the most influential musical figures of mankind, along with Bach and Beethoven. His contributions to the wholesome of music literature are everywhere to be found, especially in the late romantic era composer / early 21st century and of course - film music, especially in its early stages / Golden Age / John Williams and every other composer who has ever approached film music in a leitmotif-based way of balancing and constructing everything in their works.
  4. Oh, I agree, I think Wagner is incredible. The final minutes of GOTTERDAMMERUNG are perhaps the perfect musical finale possible. I only mention the Nazi thing because I know that at heart, a lot of the people who dislike Wagner's music do so because (whether they realise it or not) they can't separate the man from his music. I can, and do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008
    Steiner took a lot of his ideas from Wagner.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  5. A name I've not seen mentioned (and I'll get in before Tim does) is Alan Hovhaness. His "Mount St. Helens Symphony" (can't find audio clips) is beautiful.

And sorry, Tim, but I have yet to listen to "Mysterious Mountain/And God Created Whales" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00175 … p;sr=102-1 )

Howard Hanson's Symphony No. 2, "Romantic" (made famous in Alien) is also worth a listen (http://www.amazon.com/Hanson-Conducts/d … amp;sr=8-3)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote

Also described as a fine steak dinner, a little is great but any more and you'll be bloated.

Wagner just didn't know when to stop.

p.s. No doubt in my mind that Wagner was a genius, fantastical music but still, I can only take him in small portions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    A name I've not seen mentioned (and I'll get in before Tim does) is Alan Hovhaness. His "Mount St. Helens Symphony" (can't find audio clips) is beautiful.

And sorry, Tim, but I have yet to listen to "Mysterious Mountain/And God Created Whales" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00175 … p;sr=102-1 )

Howard Hanson's Symphony No. 2, "Romantic" (made famous in Alien) is also worth a listen (http://www.amazon.com/Hanson-Conducts/d … amp;sr=8-3)

Listen to it Alan, it's a fabulous CD. cool

And 'Mount St. Helens'?...... punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Reason why SIBELIUS is a must-listen for any film music lover is because due to the heavily descriptive nature of his programme music, rich melodic texture and amazing arrangements, he's probably closer to film music than any other before (save for Wagner perhaps) and all-time classics like THE SWAN OF TUONELA, FINLANDIA, VALSE TRISTE and EN SAGA are simply brilliant and most likely to charm, amaze and win film music lovers too.

Excellent indeed! But I'd say the likes of Debussy & Ravel are just as, if not more so, influential on film music, and we haven't even got to the likes of Mussorgsky, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, Vaughan Williams etc etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    Reason why SIBELIUS is a must-listen for any film music lover is because due to the heavily descriptive nature of his programme music, rich melodic texture and amazing arrangements, he's probably closer to film music than any other before (save for Wagner perhaps) and all-time classics like THE SWAN OF TUONELA, FINLANDIA, VALSE TRISTE and EN SAGA are simply brilliant and most likely to charm, amaze and win film music lovers too.

I agree! beer Easily one of my favorite composers, period. I own a copy of the score to Symphony No. 5, and love listening to the work, as well. Pretty sweet stuff! The horns in the third movement are incredible, as is much of the first movement, with the gorgeous opening with the horn quartet, the swirling strings later in the movement, and the overall light, woodwind-dominated orchestration! This is by far one of the only works I'm in love with which seems to be centered more around woodwinds and strings than brass, but hey, I'm cool with that. Awesome work. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I don't think I'd start with Wagner either!
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I haven't really explored Wagner's music that much, but I certainly will do one day. Anyone have any particular favourite recordings of Wagner?

(Wagner news, how apt. But come on, Wolfgang Wagner? That's just taking the piss right? Why didn't they just name him Wolfgang Korngold van Beethoven Wagner? dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    A name I've not seen mentioned (and I'll get in before Tim does) is Alan Hovhaness. His "Mount St. Helens Symphony" (can't find audio clips) is beautiful.

Ho-lee-shit. I listened to the clips, and I was very tempted to click the Add To Basket button... but I'm trying to save money. slant

Leave it to an Alan to suggest an Alan.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Ho-lee-shit. I listened to the clips, and I was very tempted to click the Add To Basket button... but I'm trying to save money. slant

Leave it to an Alan to suggest an Alan.

Steven, I've banged on about Alan Hovhaness for a long time! In fact, I'd say Hovhaness is my favourite American concert composer.

Both Mt St. Helens and 'And God Created Whales' are magnificent CD's, a true 'MUST HAVE'.

And Alan, c'mon man, it's time you listened to that CD. rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You have, and I've taken note fear not. I hadn't bothered to listen to any clips until today though... but trust me, it was and still is on my wishlsit to get some Hovhaness.
  6. I would add some more recommendations interesting for film score fans.

John Tavener has written a commissioned piece for a movie already and the release of the classical music from Children of Men is showing his style very well and The Lamb is particularly beautiful piece.

Arvo Part, Estonian composer, also changing religions in his time. Fratres is a work spoken about a lot here, but its influence on composers like James Newton Howard (Snow Falling on Cedars, as Demetris often emphasizes) or James Horner (Apollo 13 and Sneakers - the Darkside of the Moon theme) or even perhaps Zimmer is not to be forgotten.

Dmitri Shostakovich, particularly his Fifth Symphony. Horner ripped (yes ripped) it off twice. First time was Patriot Games/Clear and Present Danger, where some pieces literally take a motif from the Largo movement note by note. The last part was ripped off as the epic theme from Troy.

Igor Stravinsky - not much to speak about. He is a very important influence on John Williams's action music since 1997, just compare Williams's action music in Lost World, Minority Report or Revenge of the Sith to the (in)famous Rite of Springs and you will know.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I would add some more recommendations interesting for film score fans.

John Tavener has written a commissioned piece for a movie already and the release of the classical music from Children of Men is showing his style very well and The Lamb is particularly beautiful piece.

Arvo Part, Estonian composer, also changing religions in his time. Fratres is a work spoken about a lot here, but its influence on composers like James Newton Howard (Snow Falling on Cedars, as Demetris often emphasizes) or James Horner (Apollo 13 and Sneakers - the Darkside of the Moon theme) or even perhaps Zimmer is not to be forgotten.

Couldn't agree more and as i've heard lots of works from both composers, i can't think of a single one from either two that i'd exclude from a recommendation. Top stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I would add some more recommendations interesting for film score fans.

Dmitri Shostakovich, particularly his Fifth Symphony. Horner ripped (yes ripped) it off twice. First time was Patriot Games/Clear and Present Danger, where some pieces literally take a motif from the Largo movement note by note. The last part was ripped off as the epic theme from Troy.

Igor Stravinsky - not much to speak about. He is a very important influence on John Williams's action music since 1997, just compare Williams's action music in Lost World, Minority Report or Revenge of the Sith to the (in)famous Rite of Springs and you will know.

Stravinsky was a huge influence on Jerry Goldsmith, moreso than John Williams I would say!? Just check out Outland, the action music in Islands In The Stream ( unfortunately only available on the boot ), The Cassandra Crossing and particularly The Omen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Even though it could be discussed that Stravinsky was the most influentalcomposer of the 20th century I wouldn't recommend him to get started. I think his music is far too complex.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Even though it could be discussed that Stravinsky was the most influentalcomposer of the 20th century I wouldn't recommend him to get started. I think his music is far too complex.
    Thomas smile

Oh I don't know Tom, anyone used to the complexities of the likes of Williams or Goldsmith would take to Stravinsky. I think you're underestimating film music fans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Perhaps. I had to spend many hours to just begin to understand Rite of Spring.
    Thomas smile
  7. Timmer wrote

I'm glad the subject didn't come up when I was in Bristol!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm glad the subject didn't come up when I was in Bristol!

No time like the present smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Rite of Spring?
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The Rite of Spring?
    Thomas smile

No Tom. 'And God Created Great Whales' by Alan Hovhaness. Alan's had the CD for some time now but still hasn't played it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Has the plastic been removed? Oh wait maybe this is a collectible cheesy

Thomas smile
  8. sdtom wrote
    Has the plastic been removed? Oh wait maybe this is a collectible cheesy

Thomas smile

biggrin

I think that I remember where it is. One thing's for sure...it certainly isn't in my CD player!