• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    Dvorak doesn't sound anything at all like Copland IMO. What sections of the 9th Symphony do you feel influenced Aaron?
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Second I think, where there are those folk inspired themes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Second I think, where there are those folk inspired themes.

There is that one American tune heard often in the first movement.

Swing Low, Swing Chariot

"There's a great write-up of how Dvorak came to the United States. He was lured to America by a patroness of music with a promise of a huge salary. One of his students was a black musician by the name of Henry Thacker Burleigh. Burleigh introduced the Negro spiritual to Dvorak (purportedly Swing Low, Sweet Chariot). It was in Black and Native American music that Dvorak believed America could find and develop its musical heritage. This was the inspiration for his ninth symphony."

source: http://themeandvariations.blogspot.com/ … phony.html
  2. And Dvorak was very right, because this is exactly where Copland found his sources for Americana, also in country (folk music)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008 edited
    All of what you say about Dvorak and Burliegh is true. If you want to say that in some cases that Copland used folk material, the Shaker melody in Appalachian Spring/United Airline theme being quite famous, as did Dvorak for his ninth I'll agree. Copland also used Mexican material in Rodeo and Billy Kid as he spent a year there. But we don't agree on the fact that Copland sounds anything like Dvorak at all. The Red Pony for your information was all original.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    Speaking of Dvorak, I would suggest listening to his collection of symphonic poems: The Water Goblin, The Noon Witch, The Golden Spinning Wheel, The Wood Dove, and The Hero's Song.

Film score fans like ourselves should find them particularly enjoyable since they are written to follow and tell specific stories. I like them all but my favorite is The Water Goblin:

"The music tells the story of a mother and daughter conversing near the banks of a lake; despite the mother's warnings, the daughter approaches the water and is abducted by the malevolent Water Goblin who lives there and is subsequently taken as his wife. After the birth of their first child, the Water Goblin allows her to return to land briefly, using the child as insurance that she will return. However, the young woman fails to do so, and to punish her the Goblin murders the child and throws its battered body at the doorstep of the woman's hut."
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    I have and enjoy those pieces David though its been awhile since I've listened to them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009
    Classical music for the film music fan?

Check this out cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQb6BKq_ZU

Oh, and Valery Giergiev is one hell of a conductor.

Enjoy beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2009
    Add Holst to the list of composers to listen to especially if you enjoy Newman, Steiner.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Timmer wrote
    Classical music for the film music fan?

Check this out cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQb6BKq_ZU

Enjoy beer

Fantastic! smile

The first thing the teacher did in the very first film music lecture I attended was to play an excerpt from the Scythian suite. Classical music doesn't get any more "score-like" than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The problem is getting people to really listen and give classical music a chance. Many just avoid it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The problem is getting people to really listen and give classical music a chance. Many just avoid it.

Do you think film score fans tend to ignore classical music Tom? The general public certainly "seem" to ignore orchestral film music for the most part!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The average person has little or no interest. How many of you have any interest in the new Tribute Film Classic release of Steiner's "Charge of the Light Brigade?" A few but very few. How many are interested in getting the new Holst release from Chandos? Maybe a couple of you. Last night playing Scrabble I had to tell Maureen (and remember she is trying to be interested because of me) the name of every classical piece on the CD we had on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Charge Of The Light Brigade, however good, is not what I would share under "classical music" (though some of the more popular CD outlet stores in The Netherlands tend to disagree with me...it's disconcerting finding the latest James Bond score under the "Classical" heading...)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That said, an above average number of oft-posting members -in all age brackets!- here has an above average knowledge of, insight in and preference for classical music, as has been tested and proven time and again.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Yes, that's true. Users here listen often to both film scores and classical music. That said, I haven't listened to classical for quite a while. I have to remedy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    The Charge Of The Light Brigade, however good, is not what I would share under "classical music" (though some of the more popular CD outlet stores in The Netherlands tend to disagree with me...it's disconcerting finding the latest James Bond score under the "Classical" heading...)

I see its ok for everyone else to get a little off topic. sad but not me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2009
    I agree that some of you do have a basic understanding. I just have to accept the fact that composers such as Djawadi, who I can't listen to for fear of going mad, rule today.
    Yuk
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    I agree that some of you do have a basic understanding.

Well at least we know you have a high opinion of us. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For the most part I do, this is true.
  4. A compilation of modern classical music that I think film music lovers would engage with:

1. Meister Eckhardt and Quackie (John Adams) from Harmonielehre (10:35)
    2. Night of the Flying Horses (Osvaldo Golijov) from Three Songs for Soprano and Orchestra (7:30)
    3. Veni Creator Spiritus (Ross Edwards) (15:30)
    4. Shadow Dances (Nigel Westlake) (12:32)
    5. Movement II (Philip Glass) (8:30) from Violin Concerto
    6. Beloved, Do Not Let me be Discouraged (Colin Jacobson) (10:34) (perf: Brooklyn Rider, Kayhan Kalhor)
    7. Tree Dance (Christopher Gordon) (3:00) (source piece composed for Mao's Last Dancer)
    8. Tarantella (Elliot Goldenthal) from the ballet Othello (14:16)
    9. Tenebrae II (Osvaldo Golijov) (6:50) (perf: Kronos Quartet)
    10. Ambush from Ten Sides - for Pipa, Sheng, Guitar, Cello and Orchestra (Traditional, arr. Silk Road Ensemble) (12:09)

All pieces are meant to be post-1980. It could do with some Reich, Ades, Turnage, Corigliano, and others, but it's not a bad starter, I think.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You just expanded my NEED list.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    A compilation of modern classical music that I think film music lovers would engage with:

2. Night of the Flying Horses (Osvaldo Golijov) from Three Songs for Soprano and Orchestra (7:30)
    6. Beloved, Do Not Let me be Discouraged (Colin Jacobson) (10:34) (perf: Brooklyn Rider, Kayhan Kalhor)
    7. Tree Dance (Christopher Gordon) (3:00) (source piece composed for Mao's Last Dancer)
    10. Ambush from Ten Sides - for Pipa, Sheng, Guitar, Cello and Orchestra (Traditional, arr. Silk Road Ensemble) (12:09)

All pieces are meant to be post-1980. It could do with some Reich, Ades, Turnage, Corigliano, and others, but it's not a bad starter, I think.

I refer you back to page 1 and Steven's original idea for this thread which was to be a bit more decriptive than just publishing a list Michael, as indeed you have done on other pages here.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2009
    Timmer wrote

Gotta agree with you there! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2009 edited
    William wrote
    Timmer wrote

Gotta agree with you there! beer

beer

I see there's a CD of him conducting both The Scythian Suite and Alexander Nevsky shocked

It don't get better than that.....

I. MUST. HAVE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    A compilation of modern classical music that I think film music lovers would engage with:

I refer you back to page 1 and Steven's original idea for this thread which was to be a bit more decriptive than just publishing a list Michael, as indeed you have done on other pages here.

smile

I can understand why he didn't though as I don't imagine many people would read this thread in-depth? On a completely selfish level, I'm happy with the list he put down... definitely the Gordon piece! wink
  5. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

smile

I tend to think that the choices speak for themselves. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    cop out rolleyes
  6. I do see your point. It's the 'how useful is a list?' question, and I've got to agree, it's not as useful for the reader as an extended discussion. Seriously though, would enough people read the post to justify the 30 minutes spent typing the longer version of that post? I've elaborated in the past in some threads to no response.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    I do see your point. It's the 'how useful is a list?' question, and I've got to agree, it's not as useful for the reader as an extended discussion. Seriously though, would enough people read the post to justify the 30 minutes spent typing the longer version of that post? I've elaborated in the past in some threads to no response.

Fair do Michael, yeah, I do understand that.

Can I personally request a bit of elaboration on the Gordon and Westlake pieces!? smile