• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    Is it really only myself and a small handful of others recommending anything?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I wish there were more! I can't because my knowledge of classical music does not extend beyond "The Planets"...yet...if I had the money I would go buy everything that's been mentioned in this thread...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    I wish there were more! I can't because my knowledge of classical music does not extend beyond "The Planets"...yet...if I had the money I would go buy everything that's been mentioned in this thread...

Steven's idea for this thread is that it's aimed at people like you Matt, people who want to discover a whole other world of orchestral excellence.

My comment was aimed at people who DO know they're classical music but have barely added anything to this thread.

I'm sure Steven will add more once he's got reguler internet access.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm not sure where you are Matt but the wonderful advantage of classical music is something called the library. Please just go there if you can and start with Scheherazade, Red Pony (they should have it), and Sinfonia Antarctica.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    William wrote
    Steven wrote
    Can you elaborate? Endless lists are ultimately pointless since readers won't be able to discriminate between the choices. The idea is to help them, not burden them. wink (Including me.)

Good idea... I'll be back to do just that later. Going in the pool, now. wink

Um, yeah... About that... I guess I was in the pool for a long time. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008
    William wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote
    Can you elaborate? Endless lists are ultimately pointless since readers won't be able to discriminate between the choices. The idea is to help them, not burden them. wink (Including me.)

I think your in-put here would be greatly appreciated William smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote

I think your in-put here would be greatly appreciated William smile

Thank you. smile I will try to find time, though with school, horn lessons, youth orchestra, and homework, I'm not around here nearly as often as during the summer. Hopefully within the next couple days. wink
  1. William wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote

I find my fingers get pretty wrinkled if I spend two weeks in a pool!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    sdtom wrote
    I'm not sure where you are Matt but the wonderful advantage of classical music is something called the library. Please just go there if you can and start with Scheherazade, Red Pony (they should have it), and Sinfonia Antarctica.
    Thomas smile

That would work except that I can't stand listening to music that I don't own.

It's a silly, personal thing.

But don't worry, I will take full advantage of this thread...slowly...and I greatly appreciate everyone's contributions!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    William wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote

lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Why don't you go to the library listen to it a few times and then if you like it buy it. The three I'm talking about are all available for under $10.00 each and readily available.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    franz_conrad wrote
    William wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote

LOL biggrin
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    A few words of warning before my post - unlike a lot of you, I know very little (ok, almost nothing) about classical music or music theory. So naturally I tend to prefer more accessible pieces - things with a nice melody. So, in no particular order, here are some of my faves:

Saint-Saens: Samson and Delilah, Danse Macabre

Khachaturian: Masquerade Suite, Spartacus

Vaughan Williams: English Folk Song Suite,

Rimsky-Korsakov: Sheherezade, Russian Easter Overture, Capriccio Espagnol

Bizet: Carmen

Shostakovich: Jazz Suite Waltz No. 2

Vivaldi - Four Seasons

Glinka - Ruslan and Ludmilla

Holst - St Paul's Suite, the Planets (less "romantic" than the other pieces, more dramatic/powerful)

Puccini - Tosca (I particularly like the instrumental only, such as on Opera Without Words)
  3. I would say that Khachaturian and his Gayane is, mostly thanks to Kubrick, very influential piece in film music history.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2008
    All nice works to get started with.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    I was wondering if this thread has inspired anyone so far to listen to any of the recommendations listed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    I'd be surprised
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008
    I listen to quite a bit of classical music by my favorites are:
    I'm a great fan of Smetana, Dvorak, Vivaldi, and Beethoven.

Smetana's Moldau is very exciting for me because of its place in history.
    Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 is one that I can listen to in its entirety pretty much every day.
    And I'm ready for some Beethoven anytime.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008
    omaha wrote

Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 is one that I can listen to in its entirety pretty much every day.

Cool! But you haven't sold me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/e … 1935mckay/

A nice piece of classical if you like film music.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/e … 1935mckay/

A nice piece of classical if you like film music.
    Thomas smile

I've seen that you've played this a few times Tom. I have my eye on it and NAXOS is such a well priced label it's worth taking a chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not only will you likely want the Dance but his other CD with the Indian themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

How do you mean exactly?

And a though on Dvorak's No. 9. There is nothing like listening to it while on a cruise. Just imagining seeing the statue of liberty coming up in the distance. shocked
  4. I would add two Russian pieces not mentioned here I think. One of them is really revolutionary.

Igor Stravinsky has influenced film music and music in general a lot. I've heard that the premiere of Rite of Springs ended with riots. It was a really mindblowing piece and still is. The superoriginal harmony and emphasis on rhythm is something repeated heavily today. Stravinsky influenced e.g. John Williams's most recent action music style.

The other one was ripped off few times by James Horner. Dmitri Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5 never ceases to move me. Another composer who is quite dissonant in his writing, adding church scales to it to add authority, something really amazing and moving.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Russian Sailor's Dance is always fun!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

How do you mean exactly?

And a though on Dvorak's No. 9. There is nothing like listening to it while on a cruise. Just imagining seeing the statue of liberty coming up in the distance. shocked

Over here we imagine a loaf of Hovis bread ( don't ask wink )

I like the works you've mentioned and when I say "you haven't sold me" I was putting myself in the place of someone who may not know those works at all, I would want to hear a better description of how the music is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I would add two Russian pieces not mentioned here I think. One of them is really revolutionary.

Igor Stravinsky has influenced film music and music in general a lot. I've heard that the premiere of Rite of Springs ended with riots. It was a really mindblowing piece and still is. The superoriginal harmony and emphasis on rhythm is something repeated heavily today. Stravinsky influenced e.g. John Williams's most recent action music style.

The other one was ripped off few times by James Horner. Dmitri Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5 never ceases to move me. Another composer who is quite dissonant in his writing, adding church scales to it to add authority, something really amazing and moving.

....and here's a good example Gt smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

How do you mean exactly?

Over here we imagine a loaf of Hovis bread ( don't ask wink )

I like the works you've mentioned and when I say "you haven't sold me" I was putting myself in the place of someone who may not know those works at all, I would want to hear a better description of how the music is.

ah, indeed sir!

Well, Dvorak's 9th Symphony is his move to inspire American Composers to create a distinct sound for America, The New World.
    His insertion of American folk tunes is astounding.
    Listening to the score paints a veil in your mind of what is must have been like to experience the new world for the first time while it was still somewhat new to the world and held a certain awwwww...
    His symphony is much like beethoven's where he carries many of the same themes through all 4 movements. Doing this brings it together in a way where others fail.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Excellent Gt beer

I love Dvorak's work.
  5. Yes, it's amazing how Dvorak sounds like some sort of a pre-Copland.