• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2009
    I for one would be interested in listening to some clips, even lower quality, just to get an idea. I've so much material these days to try and go through and even though I'm not working full time there are still not enough hours in the day.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Will elaborate, Tim!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2009
    will look forward to hearing something
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009
    Steven wrote
    You have, and I've taken note fear not. I hadn't bothered to listen to any clips until today though... but trust me, it was and still is on my wishlsit to get some Hovhaness.

Just wondering if you ever acted on that wishlist Steven and got some Hovhaness?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's a fabulous concert piece by composer MALCOLM ARNOLD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIcIU4o61WQ

Amazingly descriptive piece on Robert Burns famous poem, and no surprise that ( as you all know ) Arnold was quite a prolific film composer during the 1950's-60's. This music was also the template for Sir William Walton's Battle In The Air from his rejected score to The Battle of Britain, Battle In The Air was the only piece retained in the film that was eventually scored by Ron Goodwin.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    You have, and I've taken note fear not. I hadn't bothered to listen to any clips until today though... but trust me, it was and still is on my wishlsit to get some Hovhaness.

Just wondering if you ever acted on that wishlist Steven and got some Hovhaness?

I did get some, then lost it because my hard drive packed up and it was one of the many albums I didn't back up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote

Amazingly descriptive piece on Robert Burns famous poem, and no surprise that ( as you all know ) Arnold was quite a prolific film composer during the 1950's-60's. This music was also the template for Sir William Walton's Battle In The Air from his rejected score to The Battle of Britain, Battle In The Air was the only piece retained in the film that was eventually scored by Ron Goodwin.

For comparison here's the scene from The Battle of Britain that uses William Walton's Battle In The Air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zVRey2XEs

The aerial scenes are possibly the best ever filmed ( no crappy CGI here tongue ) and were very influential on some little known bloke called George Lucas wink

p.s. music starts up at the 1.10 mark
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh yeah, and the SPITFIRE.

BEST. PLANE. EVER.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It is rather sexy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2009
    Outstanding music
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Outstanding music

What are you referring to Tom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

For comparison here's the scene from The Battle of Britain that uses William Walton's Battle In The Air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zVRey2XEs

The aerial scenes are possibly the best ever filmed ( no crappy CGI here tongue ) and were very influential on some little known bloke called George Lucas wink

p.s. music starts up at the 1.10 mark

What did you possibly think I was talking about? Oh wait I know 300!!!! cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tom m'man beer

I think both pieces are fantastic music and it's good to be able to compare them.

Anyone else have an opinion?

no, I'm not talking about 300 wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah; 'cause i was preparing my bucket, then i saw your clarification hehe
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    you two, yikes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You all owe it to yourself to explore the world of classical music. No excuses, none other than going deaf or death.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010
    I just watched University Challenge, a program I normally look blankly at during my inability to answer anything.

One of the rounds tonight was a 'sound' round featuring the music of Vaughan Williams and I got 100%.

I'm just toooooooooooo good! wink
  2. I was in Bizarro World on the 4th of July -- not only did they actually PLAY something by Jerry Goldsmith on the radio, but they did it on a holiday!

Some local classical music radio program played the concert piece "Fireworks", after the fireworks celebration.

That's all kinds of awesome right there. I kept thinking, "This sounds like Jerry, but it can't be..." ... in Bizarro Panama City on the 4th of July, oh yes it can!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    La Cathedrale Engloutie ( ENGULFED CATHEDRAL ) by Claude Debussy

Based on the Breton legend telling how the Cathedral of Ys was engulfed by the sea in the 4th century AD because of the impiety of the inhabitants. This magnificent piece ( originally written for just the piano ) runs at just under 8 minutes of orchestral power and shows Debussy's preoccupation with water and bells. Pianist Robert Schmitz, who studied with Debussy, rightly calls attention to the ambiguity at the heart of the piece : is it an "association of two religious concepts or a struggle between them"?

Orchestrated by Leopold Stowkowski ( yep, the legendary conductor who appears in Disney's FANTASIA ) I just can't recommend this piece enough.

I wanted to put a youtube clip of this piece up but I couldn't find a single ( good ) one out of the many available slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010
    I like the piece also
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I enjoy the Isao Tomita synthesizer version. dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I enjoy the Isao Tomita synthesizer version. dizzy

Ooooo....me too! shame cool

Have you heard the orchestral version?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Er. No. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010 edited
    It's, how Jordi he say, 'mindblowing', but it's got to be the fully orchestrated version by Leopold Stowkowski.

p.s. I never realised it was used in ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010 edited
    I knew, but I supressed it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I only found out from the sidebar on youtube, I don't own the Carpenter/Howarth album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010
    One of the most dreamiest pieces of music ever....

SPARTACUS

Nope! Nothing to do with Alex North.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    are you talking about khatchataurian i assume. i must admit i like it a lot better than north
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    are you talking about khatchataurian i assume. i must admit i like it a lot better than north

Did you not click on it Tom? Yes, it is Khatchaturian.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010
    Now I finally have extra time and money to devote to classical music, I just read through this entire thread and made a list of about 70 CDs I want to get within the next year or so shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!