• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013 edited
    christopher wrote
    We're enjoying a cooler week for southern Nevada. Right now it's only 90F/32C. The high temperature this week will be 108F/42C, which is also not that bad. Earlier this month we were above 115F/46C. I can't figure out how anyone ever lived here before air conditioning was invented.

The hottest summer for 10 years and I was in Nevada's Death Valley. I had a thermometer on a key-chain and it was at the full 120f or 48c so it actually may have been a little bit hotter than that even dizzy

Most uncomfortable I've ever experienced was Agra ( where the Taj Mahal is ) in North India, 40+ with very high humidity......unbelievably discomforting.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Bregt wrote
    42C is not that bad? shocked
    What do you do when you are outside then? Just ... die?

We don't go outside during the summer smile Stepping outside feels like walking into an oven. Even in the morning. It never cools down to comfortable levels at night. We have AC running all night and ceiling fans. It's a hot 3-4 months. The rest of the year is pretty great, weather-wise.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013
    We had a belter of a thunder storm in the early hours of this morning cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    We're enjoying a cooler week for southern Nevada. Right now it's only 90F/32C. The high temperature this week will be 108F/42C, which is also not that bad. Earlier this month we were above 115F/46C. I can't figure out how anyone ever lived here before air conditioning was invented.

The hottest summer for 10 years and I was in Nevada's Death Valley. I had a thermometer on a key-chain and it was at the full 120f or 48c so it actually may have been a little bit hotter than that even dizzy

Oh yes, and we hired the cheapest accommodation available while in Death Valley, a bad move as there was no AC or ceiling fans just a very uncomfortable night lying spread-eagled in a pair of shorts trying to get cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We're in a cycle that is 75- 60 right now.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2013
    Insane hail storm in Oslo right now. It's pounding away with thunder and lightning on top!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Insane hail storm in Oslo right now. It's pounding away with thunder and lightning on top!

shame <--envy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, it's cool (as long as the tv and computer are plugged out, of course).

I miss those awesome rainstorms in Thailand that were close to this.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, it's cool (as long as the tv and computer are plugged out, of course).

I miss those awesome rainstorms in Thailand that were close to this.

Me too, there's nothing quite like wild weather conditions in foreign climes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2013
    According to the National Weather Service our heat is suppose to break and a normal weather pattern for this time of the year 68-50 is suppose to return.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013
    That cool snap in the air is beginning to turn the leaves.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013
    It's been a drastic end to the 'Indian Summer' temperatures we've had in September. Tonight, the temp will drop down to 6 C. Brrrrr. Had to turn the oven on today for the first time since winter.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013
    We are switching back and forth between warmer weather with rain and cooler. We've still not gone below freezing so the trees haven't turned to color yet.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013
    Fall is definitely upon us. A bit murky outside today.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013
    The days are around 70 with lows in the 40's.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013
    Guys I keep reading in Greek media that there are huge problems in Britain with the weather. Tim, Alan and everybody else, is everything ok with you?
    Here is still summer! 26 C today and it seems we are going to have this weather for a few more days. Thank God for that! Many people cannot afford heating.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013 edited
    The British storm is envelopping Scandinavia soon -- at least the remnants of it -- and my mom probably have to cancel a cruise to Copenhagen she had planned with a friend (this evening).

I hope it isn't too bad where you UKers live. These things usually come and go relatively quickly.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If you were to believe the British media, we're in the middle of an apocalypse. In reality, it's been very windy causing what you would expect were it very windy. Some trees fallen over, a few things damaged... but no need to get the sawn-offs out just yet.
  2. Here in South Yorkshire we have not had anything of this storm. A bit of rain and a bit of wind, but no more than usual for this part of the world. However, looking at the News, it appears there is a bit of damage down South, mainly as a result of fallen trees. Sadly, some lives have been lost.

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  3. The storm has also hit the northern Rhineland and the North Sea coast. Some ferries to the islands stopped their service. Also fallen trees, etc. Nothing too dramatic, though.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a wee bit breezy here, with a few gales of 10+ Beaufort to keep us entertained.
    Rather enjoyable, really, even if one should go by the internet and the Dutch railways (who generally proclaim the Apocalypse when the temperature drops below 10 degrees celcius and immediately halth roughly 90% of all public transport in The Netherlands), we have reached the end of days.

Sigh.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No wind whatsover here. Just classic autumn in Norway -- grey, occasionally rainy, yellow leafs etc. Relatively mild with 8-10 C.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Storm? What storm? I'm in North Wales and there hasn't been so much as a stiff breeze.
  5. Martijn wrote
    It's a wee bit breezy here, with a few gales of 10+ Beaufort to keep us entertained.
    Rather enjoyable, really, even if one should go by the internet and the Dutch railways (who generally proclaim the Apocalypse when the temperature drops below 10 degrees celcius and immediately halth roughly 90% of all public transport in The Netherlands), we have reached the end of days.

Sigh.

aren't there a couple of deaths in The Netherlands due to this storm?

Here is Belgium it turned out all ok in the end, small problems and the typical light damages to houses and cars
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    If you were to believe the British media, we're in the middle of an apocalypse. In reality, it's been very windy causing what you would expect were it very windy. Some trees fallen over, a few things damaged... but no need to get the sawn-offs out just yet.

It's what people who live in the Caribbean would call a "light breeze". Having said that, there have been a couple of deaths, property damage and cancellations of flights and trains.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    aren't there a couple of deaths in The Netherlands due to this storm?

Meh. Just one.

Seriously though, yeah, a tourist apparently didn't heed the police's suggestions to stay indoors from 10-12, and sadly was the unlucky recipient of a toppling tree. sad
    There's quite a bit of damage, though none too heavy.
    But the inconvenience is massive: roads blocked, rails bent, airplanes grounded. It's a logistical nightmare.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013 edited
    I do remember the big storm in 1987 where 15,000,000 trees in the UK were blown down. Watching roof tiles zipping through the street like kung-fu throwing stars meant a walk outside had to be taken with great caution.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    I do remember the big storm in 1987 where 15,000,000 trees in the UK were blown down. Watching roof tiles zipping through the street like kung-fu throwing stars meant a walk outside had to be taken with great caution.

15 million trees???

I guess Belgium is lucky. The big countries around us catch the most winds before it arrives here.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote

15 million trees???

I guess Belgium is lucky. The big countries around us catch the most winds before it arrives here.

I'm pretty sure that the storm of 87 hit Belgium too. To what extent I don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The 87 storm was BAD.
    I remember being out and having to take cover every fifty meters or so.
    The truly scary (but lucky) thing was you could hear the gusts coming: there was this crescendoing low 'mowing' sound growing stronger. When that came on, I ducked. And well I should: as Timmer said: garbage cans like projectiles and tiles like throwing stars. Very, very scary!