• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    One of the most touching scenes in Up is the opening marriage scene. Very few films are able to make you cry (or at least make you hold back the tears since I'm a man and shouldn't cry) in the first few minutes. Michael Giacchino's music is excellent, and again he proves he has a shit load of talent.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009 edited
    I don't know why it's so affecting, but it's just the shot of Carl sitting in the church holding the balloon that does it. cry
  1. keky wrote
    I always become sad when I read about how the younger generation neglects the cinema experience. It's probably because I grew up going to the cinema almost every week. And although I have a very good home cinema system, I still prefer going to the cinema. Movies on the BIG screen with an audience is always a different experience and for me it's a better experience than watching movies at home.
    That's why one of my favourite movies is Cinema Paradiso. You can never make a romantic, lyrical movie about home cinema experiences.

Too aften already I found the cinema experience couldn't hold up to subsequent viewings at home, I'm much easily distracted in the theatre, when there's some annoying kids talking and laughing throughout the film I'm terribly irritated. I even hate the mid-film intermissions, which always break the flow of the film. At home I can invest more emotionally than I ever could in the cinema. I'm not one that went on a regular basis to the cinema before, but lately it has become something of an event that happens only a few times a year, and only for the rare films I want to see badly. Avatar is such a film I will go see no matter what (annoying kids included).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009 edited
    The cinematic experience will never be able to be replaced by home technology, no matter what that'll be, imo. The whole thing of going to the cinema with other people to sit through 2 hours of movie, story-telling and music can never be reduced to a plastic disc, no matter how many Gigabytes it holds, imo. Plus, there's always the side of the sound quality which you know you can never even reach in your home, no matter how much you'll pay 'cause a) sound system quality and even if you're crazy enough to buy such a multi-thousand dollar thingy you'll never reach a good level of b) acoustics in your house.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    Deep Blue Sea

Gloriously, magnificently, sublimely ridiculous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Deep Blue Sea

Gloriously, magnificently, sublimely ridiculous!

That was its purpose, and it was achieved. I had such a good time. The moment when Samuel L. Jackson´s grand speech is interrupted summarizes the spirit of the movie.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed. I love action films that positively revel in their silliness. This one might even out-do Deep Rising.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Of course it does. Even a silly film needs a good director. And Renny Harlin is a good action director. Stephen Sommers is....well, he is a guy that makes movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I Love Deep Blue Sea it's so honest in its stupidity and in your face, full action packed RC ridiculousness in all its glory!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Actually I´ve always thought of Deep Blue Sea as one of Rabin´s best scores, from a very inspired period of his career (Deep blue Sea, Texas Rangers, Remember the Titans, American Outlaws). The theme used when the shark/s attack is dark and agressive, the theme for Susan is simple but tender and the main theme is, as you say, RC at its best. Besides other little motifs used through the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    The cinematic experience will never be able to be replaced by home technology, no matter what that'll be, imo. The whole thing of going to the cinema with other people to sit through 2 hours of movie, story-telling and music can never be reduced to a plastic disc, no matter how many Gigabytes it holds, imo. Plus, there's always the side of the sound quality which you know you can never even reach in your home, no matter how much you'll pay 'cause a) sound system quality and even if you're crazy enough to buy such a multi-thousand dollar thingy you'll never reach a good level of b) acoustics in your house.

Maybe they have better theatres in Greece, but most of my recent theatre experiences outside of IMAX have been quite underwhelming from a sonic perspective. My dad's home theatre sounds bigger, fuller and more immersive than the public theatre. Even The Dark Knight played in the local cineplex's biggest/best theatre was disappointing, whoever EQ'd their system did not know what they were doing. Or maybe...they DID know what they're doing, and they know that most people prefer overwhelming loudness rather than more subtle accuracy.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Maybe they have better theatres in Greece, but most of my recent theatre experiences outside of IMAX have been quite underwhelming from a sonic perspective. My dad's home theatre sounds bigger, fuller and more immersive than the public theatre. Even The Dark Knight played in the local cineplex's biggest/best theatre was disappointing, whoever EQ'd their system did not know what they were doing. Or maybe...they DID know what they're doing, and they know that most people prefer overwhelming loudness rather than more subtle accuracy.

You know what... I actually prefer my home system as well. I'm not really sure what it is... but I find that the sonics are clearer and even the music sounds or at least comes through a lot more clearer than in the theatre.

One example would be Star Wars. In the theatre when the Star Wars main theme blasts away I was left underwhelmed... especially once the sound effects kick in. The score sounds weak and mixed incredible low. But at home when Williams cymbals and trumpets blast onto screen I finally feel the power of the music. It's in your face and makes an significant impact which unfortunately I rarely get from the theatre experience.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Indeed. I love action films that positively revel in their silliness. This one might even out-do Deep Rising.

When I was reading comments about this I thought you were talking about Deep Sea 3D. biggrin
  2. Yay Erik punk

If you have a good sound system it makes all the difference ! For me the audio is the most important aspect of the viewing experience. Good audio can envelop me completely and transport me inside the film, so I become part of it... at least when the film is good. Most recent example: Contact which has a tremendously powerful audio track and brilliant sound design, I don't recall being blown away by it in the theatre 12 years ago. But at home: WOW ! And that's only standard Dolby Digital.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Agreed, at the cinema - regardless of the volume - everything sounds further away than in the confines of a living room.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think both have their advantages and disadvantages. Going to the cinema is an experience in itself, and I usually only go to see the BIG films, because that's where they really benefit from being shown on a big screen with big speakers. When it comes to small intimate films, give me 'home cinema' any day. For me, it depends on the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    what he said. I'm exactly the same.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Me too. I went through a phase of not going to the cinema - they never seem to have the set-up done right - but things have got a bit better at my local lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Is it time for another Pixar ranking?

Toy Story 2
    Monsters Inc
    Toy Story
    Ratatouille
    Wall-E
    Finding Nemo
    A Bug's Life
    Cars
    Up
    The Incredibles

Did I forget any?

Toy Story
    Ratatouille
    Toy Story 2
    Up
    Finding Nemo
    Wall-E (Agree about what Anthony said.)
    The Incredibles
    Monsters Inc
    A Bug's Life
    Cars

Up is fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I knew he wouldn't be able to resist! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  3. Hehe. Associative logic is cool! biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009
    12 Rounds

Bad, but enjoyable, mindless action. I had very low expectations so it was actually better than I anticipated. Essentially Die Hard With A Vengeance set in New Orleans but with absolutely no likable characters or swearing Samuel L Jackson. 2 1/2 out of 5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    At least you´ve enjoyed it. Judging from your excitement and elaborated commentaries about the music, I see you´ve loved Rabin´s score tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009 edited
    Yeah it really took me back to the days where all Media Ventures scores just consisted of cheap synths and not even the simplest of motifs.

Oh wait, that's still today!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    biggrin crazy angry
  4. Marselus wrote
    biggrin crazy angry

moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    Marselus wrote
    biggrin crazy angry

moon

moon
    moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009
    Harry Pottter and the half blood Prince.

Watching a Harry Potter movie is revisit places that we are visiting for 7 years. So that's it's why I watch every movie of this saga.

Since the beggining, I have the same problems with this movies: the characters are cold and distant with the viewers, and the arguments of each movie are too weak too sustain 2 hours and a half.

With Order of Phoenix I thought the saga was finally adressing into the main argument. But with half Blood Prince seems they are trading water again.

Even if Finally they put some Beverly Hills 90210 romance into this movie, the rest is a waste of time. And what it's worst, this movies are becoming more, and more virtual , being the locations too bad CGI.

About the music: is terrible! if in the cd is decent, in the movie is unacceptable. Bring a good composer or , what is better, John Williams back for the remains chapters!!!!

sad