• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    I run TeaTimer, from Spybot. It checks the registry and msconfig data. Whenever some program wants to change something, it lets me know, so that I can choose whether to permit it to do this change or not. Handy for unexpected changes (like a program that adds itself to the startup procedure, like the fucking Apple or Adobe Updater).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I run Spybot's TeaTimer too. smile Great little program!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah but it asks you for a lot of stuff, all the time, tea-timer that is. Especially when you install / uninstall programs frequently, that program will bust your balls!

I find that COMODO INTERNET SECURITY contains both a firewall and antivirus that are pretty effective, spot-on and doesn't require your full attention all the time, like a spoiled dog!

Or don't install a firewall at all. You don't actually need it if you know what sites you're visiting and what files you're downloading.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    You are discussing physics, I'm staying on topic wink

Aww, you're a bad sport. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have four prong marks in the ball of my thumb.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ehm.

Why?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I stabbed my thumb with a fork yesterday.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You probably shouldn't do that. It's generally not a good idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You do that sort of thing often?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A physics experiment gone bad......I blame Steven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You should always check your variables! rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Could it be explained as a mishap from a controlled variable?

I'll be more careful while pronging potatoes for the oven in future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'd say it was an act of God.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    So you're to blame slant

my apologies to Steven
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A direct link to God. Such a privilege, exclusive to MT only!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alan,

Get into SAFE MODE
    UNINSTALL YOUR PREVIOUS ANTIVIRUS, preferably with a program like YOUR UNINSTALLER which will leave any traces left in the registry as well.
    RUN A REGISTRY CLEANER TOOL, like CCLEANER (free, fast, reliable)
    INSTALL AVAST / OR AVIRA / OR COMODO INTERNET SECURITY, all very good. And free.
    RESTART
    ACTIVATE THE PROGRAM, SET IT AS YOU LIKE (PROGRAM PROPERTIES)
    PERFORM A FULL SYSTEM SCAN
    that's it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    A direct link to God. Such a privilege, exclusive to MT only!

Ceiling Cat does not look favourably upon false idols!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Alan,

Get into SAFE MODE
    UNINSTALL YOUR PREVIOUS ANTIVIRUS, preferably with a program like YOUR UNINSTALLER which will leave any traces left in the registry as well.
    INSTALL AVAST / OR AVIRA / OR COMODO INTERNET SECURITY, all very good. And free.
    RESTART
    that's it.

Heavens... shocked
    Don't you make life complicated!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The world of computers is far too complicated IMHO. I can certainly understand some if not all of the frustration that Alan is going through. I've had Norton on my computer since I first got Windows XP(2001 I think). In spite of all the warnings to not get XP and stay with Windows 98 I went ahead and did it anyway. It has worked out ok for me. My only serious crash was when I took advice and tried to install Firefox instead of I.E. That advice cost me money to get my computer up and running again as I wasn't bright enough to do it myself. The important data I had was backed-up. All I've ever wanted to do was just turn the computer on and do word processing, internet access, photoshop and audition. I guess as you get older the learning curve of technology passes you buy. So be it.

Perhaps one day someone can explain to me in a way I'd understand why Firefox did what it did to my computer.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Christodoulides wrote

Thanks Demetris (and Martijn).

Is there a free equivalent that I can use again and again rather than using the once-only free fix with Your Uninstaller?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Alan,

Get into SAFE MODE
    RESTART
    that's it.

Heavens... shocked
    Don't you make life complicated!

We basically said the same thing mate. I added the Registry bitty 'cause trust me, i've had numerous mishaps in the past due to wrong uninstallation of such software and / or conflicts.

Alan, try REVO UNINSTALLER
    http://www.freewarefiles.com/Revo-Unins … 32751.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    <shrug>

To be honest, I catch those things during my half-yealy registry check with one of those lovely little apps like RegVac or something like that. Not too bothered about it during a generic uninstall.

But as far as thoroughness and clean, proper ways forward are concerned, you are absolutely correct of course.
    I tend to make shortcuts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    beer Regvac is a wonderful program!
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Alan, try REVO UNINSTALLER

Cheers, Demetris! punk

I used it to uninstall Google Chrome. (It's an okay browser but I keep coming back to Opera.)

What I was daunted by was the remaining files/registry entries that were identified as remnants of Chrome. I wasn't knowledgeable to delete any of these. So I used CCleaner and cleared the relevant registry entries.

As far as AVG is concerned. Things seem to have calmed down: I left the PC on for a while then did a full scan with 9.0 and things are running a bit better. I think the last couple of days since I installed AVG 9.0 have been taken up with some sort of indexing. (The same performance issues arose at work when we had Outlook installed and there was a huge indexing period.)

But, thanks to Demetris and Martijn I now have an alternate plan should things go bad again...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    Particle physics, from the relative small amount I've read on the subject, and from a layman's perspective, does seem to be quite a lifeless subject on the face of it. Unfortunately the endless equations are a necessary evil, but the outcome is infinitely rewarding from what I can surmise! Cosmology is what really interests me since it really gets to grips with the fundamentals of existence: multi-dimensions, spacetime, particles in two places at once, special and general relativity, Higgs fields, and particularly the "cosmic landscape" of string/M theory as just a few examples of some of the Big Ideas in science that leave me in complete and utter awe.

Very well put. Almost convinces me to go back studying astronomy. wink I agree there's something deeply fascinating about studying the fundamentals of reality.

Steven wrote
    As much as I am an appreciator of all sciences (though far from an expert in any field), cosmology is where my heart's at. (Newton is generally regarded the physicist's Darwin, but I would personally put my money on Einstein. From what I've read about the two, I much prefer Einstein. wink)

I find the travelling around the world in a time where that wasn't entirely safe or easy, discovering new creatures and cultures, being more than 100 years ahead of his time in thinking and insight, the logical conclusions, defense and argumentation skills plus the humility of Darwin to be the epitome of what science is all about.

Einy is cool too, has a great sense of humour and certainly has that mad scientist look, but he comes third to me, after Darwin and Newton on my worship scale.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    What's annoying me currently is that I didn't use this baby smiley baby at all above when I was talking about nakkidness.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    Newton seems totally bonkers to me but there is no doubt he was a towering genius, an Everest amongst his peers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited
    Glad to see that you're able to get things sorted out, Alan
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  3. sdtom wrote
    Glad to see that you're able to get things sorted out, Alan
    Thomas

I think it was more a case of just letting AVG do what it needed to do after the upgrade to version 9.0 - though I've a feeling that they're going to lose a few users because of the initial slowness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited
    Today's price shock:

3000 NOK (appr. $530) for 2 minutes and a tissue sample at an oral surgeon! shocked

I was also told by the tax authorities that I'm missing out on appr. 25.000 NOK ($4400) in tax relief because my "apartment community" (or whatever the heck it's called in English) is in a trial with the bank. This money is lost to me, just in a period where they would be sorely, sorely needed.

It's not been a good day, finance-wise. sad
    I am extremely serious.