• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    I haven't, i am usually not into this kind of "i know what you did last summer" like movies wink

oh trust me, they are sooooooo much better than those crappy movies, especially because the bad guy isn't what everyone thinks he would be wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    keky wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    ENNIO MORRICONE - Baarìa

One word can only describe it: gorgeous.

Good for you; I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. I think this was the most anticipated CD for me this year, hopefully I don't have to wait for too long...

No money. sad
    However, I did order the cd from Amazon where, surprisingly, it is listed for less than $5.
    Must be a glitch. But if Amazon will honor the price then punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2009
    NP:Agora (marianelli)

or what it's the same: the passion of Christ 2. But without the talent.

Boring and previsible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Previsible? That's a new one.
  2. Nautilus wrote

Boring and previsible.

I don't agree. While it isn't ATONEMENT, there's some very strong stuff here. 'The Skies Don't Fall', '200,000 Books' and 'The Truth is Elliptical' are the highlights for me.
    There is a lot of vocal work in it. Choirs of different shapes and sizes, and solo voices (sadly a little of the wailing variety).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. BhelPuri wrote
    However, I did order the cd from Amazon where, surprisingly, it is listed for less than $5.

Awesome! You're one lucky guy. I just checked and Amazon is selling it now for $36.
  4. BhelPuri wrote

I wouldn't be surprised if you got an e-mail saying that, actually, it's out of stock and your order is cancelled!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Nautilus wrote

Boring and previsible.

This wasn't as good a listen as I was hoping for. I found it uninteresting rather than boring - that is, it just passed the time rather than wasting time.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. The first listen was like that for me too.

Now that I've had a bit more time with it though, I mostly like it, although I can see how such a high drama score could be annoying in the film after a while. One very Marianelli touch is the use of the descending motif (reminiscent of Danny Elfman's main motif from HULK) throughout the score. The more dramatic themes and their expression remind me of Horner's dramatic scores at times. What is more lacklustre is the faster-paced material. It never quite feels like it has enough energy.

One way of describing it would be to say it's a bit like a whole album of variations on 'Anakin's Betrayal', the choral setpiece Williams wrote for the jedi-slaughter montage in REVENGE OF THE SITH.
  7. NP: Starman - Jack Nitzsche

This is one of those scores that first got my attention when I was watching the film on TV. The final track on the CD (covering the climax of the film) lays out all that's good in the score. Though it does get a bit repetitive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    One way of describing it would be to say it's a bit like a whole album of variations on 'Anakin's Betrayal', the choral setpiece Williams wrote for the jedi-slaughter montage in REVENGE OF THE SITH.

Do you mean the choral piece from when Anakin is making his way through the Jedi Temple? That's the part that's on the CD as "Anakin's Betrayal", the piece that begins with a choral motif that sounds suspiciously like the boy's choir Ring theme from LOTR.

Or do you mean "Lament," which is the piece that plays during the Order 66 Jedi montage?

Sorry I am not trying to nitpick, but the impression I was getting was more "Lament" but you said "Anakin's Betrayal" and I want to make sure I am not misunderstanding.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. I'm talking about track 4 of the album, 'Anakin's Betrayal'. Not track 10, 'Anakin's Dark Deeds'. The actual cue names might be different, but it's definitely track 4 that I'm talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    ROME IS THE LIGHT - MORE MUSIC FROM THE GLADIATOR

Excellent piece of music. This particular wasn't used in movie, even it perfectly fits into album. I could imagine this particular has no way fitting into film but it does fit into album. It has some arabian touch, however, well composed by Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Cooked for a couple of hours this evening during which time I was listening to two of my faves in recent times-

Etienne Perruchon - Dogora: Ouvrons Les Yeux
    Adrian Johnston - Gideon's Daughter

Just perfect!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

I wouldn't be surprised if you got an e-mail saying that, actually, it's out of stock and your order is cancelled!

I know! But atleast it was worth a try. In the past I did snag the awesome deal for the Legrand Box set for $20 from BestBuy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Boring and previsible.

I don't agree. While it isn't ATONEMENT, there's some very strong stuff here. 'The Skies Don't Fall', '200,000 Books' and 'The Truth is Elliptical' are the highlights for me.
    There is a lot of vocal work in it. Choirs of different shapes and sizes, and solo voices (sadly a little of the wailing variety).

Indeed. You have to be in the mood and actually LISTEN, devote yourself to it a bit, not just skipping tracks whenever a duduk or a female wailing voice comes up. There's some pretty strong and emotional music during the climax too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing: Born Free (barry)

Wow. It is great!!!!

It's not the typical depressing Barry score.

NP:Looney Tunes (Goldsmith)

Funny as hell. I miss you maestro!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    El Cid Disc 2

Even better than the first one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    keky wrote
    El Cid Disc 2

Even better than the first one!

It's feckin' awesome isn't it? punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Aliens (Horner)

Weird. I bought (yes, bought) the Deluxe Edition a lot of years ago. But I arranged the cd with the tracks of the first album ( only including the track "combat drop").

Leaving the classical rip off aside ( i mean this dramatic string theme from the opening and the closing tracks) the rest is sublime. The action stuff has influenced a lot of composers since then, agressive, dissonant, powerful and with an exelent of use of the synthetiser and live percusion.

Resolution and Hyperspace is one of Horner's greatest achievements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    BhelPuri wrote
    No money. sad

Me too. I think they'll cancel it though. But hey, it is certainly worth trying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales - Video Game - Yury Poteyenko

This one just came in from a very good friend. First listen... yeah... this is my kind of music. Swashbuckling greatness, live orchestra, male chorus, bold themes... YUM! lick

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

This one just came in from a very good friend. First listen... yeah... this is my kind of music. Swashbuckling greatness, live orchestra, male chorus, bold themes... YUM! lick

-Erik-

Want! This is the guy that composed the very Zimmerish Daywatch and its sequel Nightwatch. Never found none of those though.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm talking about track 4 of the album, 'Anakin's Betrayal'. Not track 10, 'Anakin's Dark Deeds'. The actual cue names might be different, but it's definitely track 4 that I'm talking about.

Wow. It's been so long since I looked at the actual album tracklist that I forgot that Williams' cue name "Lament" was called "Anakin's Betrayal" on the album. Thanks smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2009 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Want! This is the guy that composed the very Zimmerish Daywatch and its sequel Nightwatch. Never found none of those though.

Age of Pirates is on the opposite side of the spectrum! Besides the male chorus there is nothing Zimmerish in this score what so ever! It's a thunderous, lyrical, old fashioned symphonic score. It also contains some quieter pieces featuring gorgeous and inspired instrumental solos... the gentle flute and violin theme in "Moon Way" is something you'd only hear in a John Williams score and is a nice contrast to the big bombastic material that dominates the album. It's a welcome change of pace and unfortunately is something you rarely hear in modern day film music. Superb stuff!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Darn you Erik, yet another expensive import to add to my want list... sad

but beer on the find
  9. Halo 3 ODST (Marty O'Donnell & Mike Salvatori)

Put this in simple lettering, so as not to attract attention to this or myself, as this isn't much loved here... shame I'm liking this more and more everytime I hear it. I'm listening to a custom track list, that omits the boring ambient stuff. The action material is quite addictive if you don't mind hearing repetitive drum loops over wailing guitar solos. The two ending cues are simply awesome!! It is also thematic throughout, though not particularly memorable in the end. I just like the cool sound of O'Donnell & Salvatori's style.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Bolt - John Powell

One of the best scores from last year and my personal favourite, with an incredible main theme. FUN! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Star Wars Trilogy - John Williams
    Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic Orchestra

I'm playing Gerhardt's brilliant re-recordings of the classic original trilogy scores. Bliss!!! Gerhardt's rendition of Leia's Theme is stunning.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Halo 3 ODST (Marty O'Donnell & Mike Salvatori)

Put this in simple lettering, so as not to attract attention to this or myself, as this isn't much loved here... shame I'm liking this more and more everytime I hear it. I'm listening to a custom track list, that omits the boring ambient stuff. The action material is quite addictive if you don't mind hearing repetitive drum loops over wailing guitar solos. The two ending cues are simply awesome!! It is also thematic throughout, though not particularly memorable in the end. I just like the cool sound of O'Donnell & Salvatori's style.

It's all ready-made samples my friend and all the action cues are repetitive and childish. It certainly tired me but if i was to choose a custom playlist, i'd only insert the ambient cues which can be somewhat suffered.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.