• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmm?
    Completely missed this post?

Totally unfamiliar with this score, Timmer, but I'll seek it out to have a listen! beer

Very baroque like with orchestra and harpsicord cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oooooooh! shocked
    I like the sound of that!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:First Knight (Goldsmith)

What Can I say???' Lancelot's fanfarre and the love theme are some of the best stuff written by Goldsmith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:First Knight (Goldsmith)

What Can I say???' Lancelot's fanfarre and the love theme are some of the best stuff written by Goldsmith.

I second that!

NP: Beowulf ~ Alan Silvestri

Watched it last night on TV and I couldn't resist the temptation of listening to it again today! Heroic and magestic with a twist of darkness and a wonderful more romantic theme.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Hurt Locker - Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders

I don't know how it works like in the film itself, but except the last track it's terrible as a standalone listening experience!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Best Of Godzilla 1984-1995 - Akira Ifukube , Reijiroh Koroku , Kohichi Sugiyama

This soundtrack compilation picks up with the new generation of Godzilla movies produced by Toho Studios , starting with The Return of Godzilla . The music is more developed than the scoring of many of the earlier films , in keeping with the cinematic material for which it was composed . The jewels of this collection are the later scores by Akira Ifukube , who returned to the series in 1992 with Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah . The disc opens with his revised theme from that movie , and then jumps back to Reijiro Koroku's lush music from Return of Godzilla, which is deeply atmospheric . Kohichi Sugiyama's score from Godzilla vs. Biollante is similarly accomplished as orchestral writing and is interspersed with some jarring pop/rock instrumental work featuring electric guitar (with heavy use of the volume pedal) and orchestra . It's Ifukube's music that stands out , however , memorable both texturally and thematically - the man knows how to write memorably for horns , brass , strings , vibraphone , or , seemingly , any other section of the orchestra , and interweaves his themes so carefully as to surprise the listener . Takayuki Hattori took over the scoring of Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla (1994) , and his music is richly scored . Ifukube's final original score for the series , for Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995), is some of his best work, overflowing with menace and sadness, joy and tragedy. The disc ends with an unexpected bonus track , a surprisingly effective and quite delightful synthesizer band recording of "Monster Zero March" . This OST is a must have in my book !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote

lp wrote
    NP: Ryomaden - Naoki Sato

Bombastic main title piece. There are some killer tracks in here, though some of them involve a kind of MVRC approach to it. It's less orchestral than I had expected it to be, relying on more modern sound patches, with grungy, grinding guitar, sometime backed by rhythmic synth choir, and you can even hear some faux middle eastern sound design here. I don't mind these music ideas, but it's kinda distracting how modern this score is for a period drama. So the ratio of synthy vs orchetral stuff is about 50/50, replete with a couple of typical pensive piano cues. There's an Ennio Morricone reference in "Confession" that made me pause a bit and think.... was that from The Mission(?).

I'm gonna encourage you guys to seek out and listen to it to see what your responses will be.

Well, got my hands on it, and you're right: it's very enjoyable and listenable and at least on CD a very good experience.
    No idea how it works in the film/series, as I am unfamiliar with it (and I think with the composer, although I think he may have come to prominence through video game scoring? If he is that same bloke, that particular, slightly uneven style certainly shines through here!).

But I enjoy this soundtrack for its variety of styles, which keeps interest throughout, and -to my mind- sets it apart from your standard "MV" type of score (although some of the elements -the percussion, electronics and "power theme"scoring are certainly reminiscent).

The main title is right in your face (which I like).
    I gather this is only the first volume of a set (?) so I'm looking forward to hearing more.
    It certainly got my interest! Thanks for the recommendation, lp!

beer punk

I find myself going back to this album once a week and listening to certain tracks due to the interesting elements. I've been looking at the composer's discography and he doesn't seem to have done any game yet, just TV and Anime for now. I've gotten his score for the OVA of Eureka Seven anime and it's good. It more orchestral and more sweeping, in a space adventure kind of way, with a couple of nice themes to boot. Something to consider if you like much of the orchestral cues in Ryomaden.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Eric wrote
    NP : The Best Of Godzilla 1984-1995 - Akira Ifukube , Reijiroh Koroku , Kohichi Sugiyama

Koichi Sugiyama is also the composer of the wonderful Dragon Quest game soundtracks. The symphonic versions of those are really lovely and would appeal to most film music fans. I once made a 'Best of Dragon Quest' album, and it really is quite the stunner. Takayuki Hattori I only know from 'Intelligent Qube', which has some splendid orchestral cues.

I don't know the other's composers work though. And the only Godzilla-inspired score I know is by, well you know his name...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Mercenaries 2: World In Flames - Chris Tilton

punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Mercenaries 2: World In Flames - Chris Tilton

punk punk

"Jungle Brawl"!!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I don't think there's a single unremarkable action track here! Love the heavy percussions. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    still working on the Zoya piece.
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Battlestar Galactica: The Plan / Razor (Bear McCreary)

New and old themes are present and provide for yet another laidback listen of the exceptional musical universe Bear has introduced in previous scores. Maybe a little less memorable and good than either S3 or S4 but worth it all the same. It just continues in known territory without deviating too much from the established path. Not one I'll be playing regularly but more than good enough if the opportunity arises.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote

I don't know how it works like in the film itself, but except the last track it's terrible as a standalone listening experience!

Does the fact that when I saw the film I heard no music surprise you..
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Flash - Shirley Walker
    main theme by Danny Elfman

I've had the "promo" for many years and have thoroughly enjoyed it every time I gave it a spin but now I can toss that thanks to La La Land Records and their brand new 2CD set of music from this short lived series. This album is a Godsend for those that remember watching the series back in the early 90's (I loved it!) and fell in love with Elfman's fantastic main theme and Shirley Walker's magnificent music. This is some of the best episodic television music you will ever hear!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DAY OF THE LOCUST - John Barry

Set in the 1930's this album ( like Chinatown ) is a mixture of score and period pieces, Barry's score is varied considering it uses the main theme in a number of tracks but all in different arrangements and a lovely theme it is too. One track also called Day of The Locust is quite a shocker, it's Barry doing out and out horror music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    keky wrote
    I have listened to some of the CDs from the Vladimir Cosma collection recently. Here's what I think so far. . . .

CD 13: Les Aventures de David Balfour/Les Roses de Dublin/Le Loup blanc
    Probably the best of the five I have listened so far. It is varied, highly melodic and beside the emotional, touching themes there are great - but short - action tracks too from the last score of the CD.
    The main theme of Les Aventures de David Balfour was one of the themes that attracted me to film music when I was a child. It was great to listen to it again after so many years.

I was just listening to this myself yesterday adn completely agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven

Too tired to go out tonight, so I thought I'd play one of two of my favourite scores from last year. Yep, you heard right, Avatar is a top 2 score of 2009 for me. (I might be the only one though.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Too tired to go out tonight, so I thought I'd play one of two of my favourite scores from last year. Yep, you heard right, Avatar is a top 2 score of 2009 for me. (I might be the only one though.)

I'd have to have a good think but it's definitely up there for me too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Le Voyage En Ballon - Jean Prodromidès

I LOVE finding hidden gems like these. I have no clue what the film is about, I've never heard of the composer but boy is this ever an impressive score! This is a huge thematic orchestral score with a large choral backing. It's a joyous. upbeat, delightful, and at times goofy score! However, there are intense dramatic highlights like the mysterious and uneasy "Les Alpes - Les Glaciers" cue or the propulsive march heard in "Camargue - Les Taureaux - Les Flamands Roses." And for a score recorded in 1960 the sound is strikingly clear and dynamic. Kudos to Disques Cinemusique for rescuing this gem! You can hear samples of this score at Screen Archives

Highly recommended!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. stupid
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Moving on to...

NP: Taras Bulba - Franz Waxman

One of the all time best and Kriterland's remastering of the studio re-recording is very nice but I would love to hear Tribute Film Classics take a crack at this one!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I've heard half of DANTE'S INFERNO, but turned it off. While I admire the technique of the writing, I just found it hard to believe that music inspired by Dante could be technically excellent but fundamentally SOUL-less.

You'd have thought it would be incredibly inspirational wouldn't you? I haven't heard it myself but I'll take your word for it.

It's not for everyone...maybe those into dark dissonance will find elements to satisfy them.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    stupid

Yeah, he's stupid for liking fluffy music isn't he? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

Word. Terrible is the word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010 edited
    JP: HANGOVER SQUARE / CITIZEN KANE - BERNARD HERRMANN

As I'm not very familiar with Bernard Herrmann yet (I only really know his two masterpieces, PSYCHO and VERTIGO), this takes some getting used to. HANGOVER SQUARE, for example, had great moments in the original score, but it wasn't until the Concerto Macabre that I really 'got' it. What a great piece of music, with brilliantly complex passages and orchestrations.

CITIZEN KANE same thing; good moments, but I'm only loving this on a superficial level yet, which means I'm just enjoying the classic stylings and old Hollywood sound. But since no Herrmann score ever was an immediate love, I'm not too worried. It's great to be discovering more of his signature style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote

I LOVE finding hidden gems like these.

yeah

SO glad this one was to your liking, Erik!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I LOVE finding hidden gems like these.

yeah

SO glad this one was to your liking, Erik!

I love that score. Very thematic indeed. I'm also glad that it is in stereo. smile

NP Sherlock Holmes Hans Zimmer

Listening to the 5 nominated scores this weekend. I hope that whoever gets the spotlight will appreciate it for what it's worth! I'm rooting for Giacchino but I will still be glad if Zimmer, Desplat or Horner gets it. Beltrami also but , it is the only score in this bunch that doesn't move me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I've heard half of DANTE'S INFERNO, but turned it off. While I admire the technique of the writing, I just found it hard to believe that music inspired by Dante could be technically excellent but fundamentally SOUL-less.

You'd have thought it would be incredibly inspirational wouldn't you? I haven't heard it myself but I'll take your word for it.

It's not for everyone...maybe those into dark dissonance will find elements to satisfy them.

Ooooh? Maybe it IS for me then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote

Koichi Sugiyama is also the composer of the wonderful Dragon Quest game soundtracks. The symphonic versions of those are really lovely and would appeal to most film music fans. I once made a 'Best of Dragon Quest' album, and it really is quite the stunner. Takayuki Hattori I only know from 'Intelligent Qube', which has some splendid orchestral cues.

I don't know the other's composers work though. And the only Godzilla-inspired score I know is by, well you know his name...

Though I've heard only a few of his works, I was about to make a thread about Hattori, since I'm addicted to his Shinsengumi! score. It's a historical drama series about a group of young samurais at the end of their era, and the score is excellent! I only have 1st volume of soundtrack, which contains cues from the first half of the series. I love this album, it has lots of uplifting & epic orchestral cues with Japanese traditional sounds, but I also want the out-of-print second volume because the story of the latter half goes more dramatic, emotional and tragic, and Hattori's score brilliantly supported it.

The opening theme/song is on YouTube but other tracks are great too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tswbFWKDTxQ
    (actually I've been watching the series on DVD since last summer and now the last two episodes are left... cry)

I also recommend his Restaurant de Roi, which has overly pompous orchestral main theme for a TV comedy series. biggrin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kHnWL6uk5c
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp