• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
    guys, what kind of score by zimmer + co have you expected for this show? i have expected a typical heroic-bombastic-patriotc zimmer main theme. what i got is a noble, heroic and unpatriotic main theme performed by a full orchestra without electronics. i haven't heard this tone and orchestration of a RCP theme before on a zimmer soundtrack. it's an amazing theme and for me it's only in orchestration similar to band of brother, the melody is really different.
    then the rest. ok we have no action cues (perhaps the action scenes have no music) and we have no big choir like bob or spr. i have no problem with that. most of the tracks are melancholic and emotional with simple but lovely melodies. all these tracks are performed by a full orchestra with very little electronics. it's an untypical RCP war score and for me it's a great one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
    Something tells me Erik is in a Lee Holdridge mood. It's a sixth sense I have, it's a gift really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Heh. He said Bob. biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Lee Holdridge? Isn't he that there guy who looks like Ron Jeremy? moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What's wrong with Bob? confused
    Bob's a smashing bloke.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Somebody said RON JEREMY!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Lars wrote
    i haven't heard this tone and orchestration of a RCP theme before on a zimmer soundtrack.

Maybe not on a Zimmer score per say but the same sort of orchestration and feel can be heard in Rescue Dawn by Klaus Badelt and The Great Raid by Trevor Rabin.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: A Selection of the most dreamy pieces from the Lord of the Rings

I'm desperately trying to calm down and relax.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    What's wrong with Bob? confused
    Bob's a smashing bloke.

Aw, stop, it's too much.

Lars wrote
    ...we have no big choir like bob...

Very true. Little known fact, I'm a one-man choir. Ask Bregt.
  2. Stavroula wrote

What's happening, darling?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ok... enough of this Zimmer... back to LEE HOLDRIDGE!

-Erik-

A wise decision. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010 edited
    How it's powell let's try again!

NP:Green Zone (powell)

"mobilize" begins with the "main theme" with electronics and electric guitars. It's cool. The 8 minutes track "evac preps 1" it's cool too. "attack and chase" reminds me, for unknow reasons, The Italian job score.

too much percusion, not enought ryhtms. My thoughts about this remains the same.

PS:Now we only need an OScar for powell!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Stavroula wrote

What's happening, darling?

A bit of a cloudy weather love, a nd a bit of a dark mood. I'm better now don't worry. Thanks for asking! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:AVATAR ACADEMY PROMO

"Quaritch Down" and "fight to death" it's The Horner I love!! forget the bad mixing of " Quaritch", "Soccer Earth" or " Destruction of Hometree".....Now we have the orchestral power of Horner! Aliens danger motif, percusion and bells included! (oh...Nicholad Dood orchestrations are more than obvious, but who cares!)

The action music not realeased in the official Album is far more agreesive, and it creates a better sense of Aventure.

Now, Avatar become one of my all time favourites scores. Why? because it has everything. it's not perpfect, but it has so many elements that I love that it's imposible not to be in my all time chart.

PS: i don't know if it's a real academy promo, because some tracks has really poor sound quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: Angels & Demons - Hans Zimmer

The Science & Religion and Election By Adoration tracks feature truly gorgeous violin work. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote

The Science & Religion and Election By Adoration tracks feature truly gorgeous violin work. cool

Yeap. And they are the less interesting tracks of this score tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    ^ ...suuuuuuuure. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Yeap. And they are the less interesting tracks of this score tongue

HAh! You're funny.

---

NP: Eureka Seven - Naoki Sato

It's a hit and miss with this album. Good tracks are hampered by budget restrictions (synth all the way). Which is sad because there are a lot of dynamic tracks on this album. Curiously heartening, slower cues were performed by a small chamber orchestra with light sprinkle of wind and piano instrumentations. It's very nice. A full symphonic, orchestrated version, of this score would be perfection
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Quaritch Speech (from Avatar Academy promo)

ahahahahahahaha

Seems "journey to the line" was a temp track too! punk punk
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    NP: AVATAR ACADEMY PROMO

2 and a half an hour of music!!! Great listening experience from start to finish. It is a SCORE of the YEAR for me punk
    and as I thought after watching a movie, this great piece which start at 7 minut of WAR from released soundrack is missing. What a shame it didn't end up in a Movie , I find it the greatest single moment on AVATAR soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In Search of Peace - Lee Holdridge

I've had this for a while but this is my first listen. Sadly I only have time for a few minutes tonight - but it sounds magnificent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Roy wrote
    NP: AVATAR ACADEMY PROMO

2 and a half an hour of music!!! Great listening experience from start to finish. It is a SCORE of the YEAR for me punk
    and as I thought after watching a movie, this great piece which start at 7 minut of WAR from released soundrack is missing. What a shame it didn't end up in a Movie , I find it the greatest single moment on AVATAR soundtrack.

Yeap! Those action tracks are what Avatar album needed! And now we have it!!! nearly 20 minuts of new action material. And these 20 minutes of unreleased action music is really SUPERB. Far, far better than the music in the original Album.

Sadly, some interesting tracks have a very poor like jake's first flight a 8 minutes track with some weird percusion and electronics in the beggining.

Like I said, even if some action moments seems out of place in terms of orchestrations, it's one of my all time favourites scores.

"fight to the death" the most agressive Horner track since "ripley's rescue" punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010
    GhostwriterDesplat Saw the movie and I'm now listening to it away from the film
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    How does it compare? There are quite long segments on the album that are a bit of a snoozer. sleep
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010 edited
    Now Playing: The Ghost Writer Desplat

I'm still amazed by the range of musical genres and films that Alexandre Desplat is getting these days. He hasn’t been hiding lately. Kudos to his agent for getting him art films and also high profile ones like the Twilight and the next one in the Harry Potter series.

What really struck me when I first heard " the Ghost writer" in its entirety, was the use of rhythms especially percussion. Desplat uses percussion like the main character uses a computer keyboard to write his book. From the outset, Desplat uses various types of percussion to mark the rhythm: the timpanis and glockenspiel amongst others. In addition to all the percussion elements, he also engages woodwinds, strings and brass (also used rhythmically) to create a sense of unerving tension that is also heard quite cleverly in the cue « In the Woods » Effective mimicking of the typewriting is done by doing rimshots on snaredrum in the cue. His main theme, played on a flute (or a synthesized created sound?) and first heard in the opening cue, comes back many times like in « Hidden Documents », haunting the listener and telling us that something fishy is going on.

This score isn’t likely to influence legions of other composers. The underscore while intelligent and sometimes jazzy, is often relying on repetitive motifs leaning on a minimalist mode. It has moments reminiscent of Bernard Herrmann and Philip Glass compositions but definitively keeps all Desplat’s trademarks in place. While the main core of his music may be minimalist, he has intricate counterpoint elements. Like in many of his other scores, his attention to details is evident without sounding too much in your face. To the contrary, no matter what genre , his music comes off as being refined and dignified. This is just above forty minutes of engaging, clever writing that draws me into a darker and mysterious world and keeps me interested from beginning to end.

Oh and in the cue "The Truth About Ruth", I love the bit when it all culminates near the end and the orchestra goes in all directions at the 4th minute. Very Potter! Bring it on.

I'm really looking forward to see this movie now.
  3. NP - Balto - Horner

"The Journey Begins" is one my favorite pieces from Horner. WHAT an incredible track!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Big Country - Jerome Moross

CAH-LASSIC!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Big Country - Jerome Moross

CAH-LASSIC!

-Erik-

Darn tootin', they really don't come much better!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Avatar academy promo

Going up to my all time favourites scores. because it's all in one. from new age to orchestral fanfarres.

The unrealeased (until now) music, sounds more than ever from Nicholad Dodd and sometimes sounds out of place. but at the same time it's the best action music of this score, far more powerful than Horner unsuccesful mix of tribal elements with orchestra.

Now we have from "flying island's fanfarre" and more powerful renditions of "i see u " theme to the 20 minutes action climax.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I have never seen someone call a score a classic then within the same breathe take jabs at it! You are one odd ball, Jordi!

-Erik-