• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010
    Timmer wrote
    If you like Jerry Goldsmith's score for Chinatown you'll get an idea of the sound Grusin employs in Mullholland Falls.

Hmm, I've listened to it... and it's very good! I don't think I'll be placing it above Dahlia anytime soon, but it's a fine noir score nonetheless. (Dahlia has a much better recording going for it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Independence Day (Complete) - David Arnold

fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks

One of the greatest scores ever composed. Hearing the film version of "The Day We Fight Back" brought tears to my eyes! I love this stuff! Thank you La La Land!

punk

-Erik-

I will personally hang, draw and quarter anyone who says it's "overrated." I will throw in castration for good measure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    If you like Jerry Goldsmith's score for Chinatown you'll get an idea of the sound Grusin employs in Mullholland Falls.

Hmm, I've listened to it... and it's very good! I don't think I'll be placing it above Dahlia anytime soon, but it's a fine noir score nonetheless. (Dahlia has a much better recording going for it.)

Fair nuff'. Glad you enjoyed it. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Independence Day (Complete) - David Arnold

fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks

One of the greatest scores ever composed. Hearing the film version of "The Day We Fight Back" brought tears to my eyes! I love this stuff! Thank you La La Land!

punk

-Erik-

I will personally hang, draw and quarter anyone who says it's "overrated." I will throw in castration for good measure.

It's exceptionally overrated.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Babylon A.D - Atli Orvarsson

The entire score is very good, but Babylon Requiem is especially a real highlight with great use of chord progressions, choir and string ostinatos. Love it! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

First of all you're wrong. Second of all, prepare to be castrated by a horse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

First of all you're wrong. Second of all, prepare to be castrated by a horse.

Um. Just wondering. How do you teach a horse to do so? Using carrots?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It involves rope and momentum. The horse provides the momentum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah. Right. <makes mental notes>
    And you will provide the rope? I still feel like you'll also need a carrot. Just saying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, you don't need a carrot. Just a horse, some rope and those who use the word "overrated". slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010 edited
    Right. So that's where I usually went wrong. Gottit.
    Never mind.
    Please, continue your conversation on overrated scores (Timmer, don't you worry, the twit isn't using a carrot!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It involves rope and momentum. The horse provides the momentum.

Ahhhh, a very overrated form of torture.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Right. So that's where I usually went wrong. Gottit.
    Never mind.
    Please, continue your conversation on overrated scores (Timmer, don't you worry, the twit isn't using a carrot!).

he can't afford them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ever so witty jokes aside, you're still wrong. wink biggrin
  1. I'm all for castrating the overraters!

ID4 is brilliant film music!

nuff said.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: ID4 Complete - David Arnold

Good album. Great orchestral goodies throughout. This score and Tomorrow Never Dies are my favorite Arnold efforts from the late 90s. Can't wait for the CD to come soon. I hope I got a signed version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm all for castrating the overraters!

not sure if you noticed it, but if it's overrated, than you would be overrating it, which technically makes you the 'overrater'. Carefull what you wish for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Forever Young (Jerry Goldsmith)

Goldsmith never disappoints with this kind of scores. Elegant, melancholic, a great love theme, a couple of exciting action cues..... brilliant.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    It's good, is it not?
    Just took another listen to it myself a few days back as happenstance would have it, as I purchased the second album as well. That one felt a bit flat to me though, and I wondered if I had misremembered (or rose-coloured) the first album?

But no. It remains a very fresh, enjoyable piece of work (Ewoks notwithstanding wink ) and I still like it a lot!

Indeed it is! I want the second album as well but I haven't managed to obtain it yet. Now you mentioned it I really want to listen to it and see if I agree with you. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  2. BobdH wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm all for castrating the overraters!

not sure if you noticed it, but if it's overrated, than you would be overrating it, which technically makes you the 'overrater'. Carefull what you wish for.

Calling ID4 overrated is like calling Avatar a masterpiece... A lie !!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True that. Avatar is no masterpiece... but I do love it! cheesy
  3. Good for you my boy. beer
  4. NP: Avatar (Horner)

I feel I've come to a better understanding of why Horner keeps getting away with what he gets away with here. It's because - here goes - and this annoys me as much as it would anyone, but why be annoyed when you can just enjoy? - anyway: he gets away with it, because for the most part, it's great. I cut the GLORY rips, and the rest of the album is great. Not a lot of people can still write for orchestra reasonably well, and in the scheme of things, I prefer AVATAR to most of the scores that preceded it in ideas. (Such as GLORY, which I can't stand, or FOUR FEATHERS, which is very good, but not as escapist.)

I just wish the theme from 'Into the N'avi World' (the piece that was on the website for a while) was in the score, as it has a sense of adventure that would be nice to hear at moments in the score. So I always play it at the end of the album.

Next: Creation (Christopher Young) - another great score filled with temp lifts, by someone who has always been pretty good at lifting
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    but why be annoyed when you can just enjoy?

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Because it's those things that annoy which keep me from enjoying!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Those things used to annoy me many years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    However, in saying that I enjoy the piss out of "Quaritch Down"

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Enemy at the Gates - James Horner (once again...)

Two things are true about this score. The first is that I am officially immune to the 4-note motif. The second is that Horner SERIOUSLY needs to write more choral music ASAP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010 edited
    Enemy at the Gates isn't a bad score... but unlike you the four-note danger motif is a irritation which limits my interest in the score. But now that I've created a suite I find myself wanting to hear the score... well, at least that suite... more often. Great recording by Simon Rhodes and I too second more large choral music from Horner!

-Erik-