• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    Intrada could bring out 3,000 copies of him brushing his teeth and they'd sell out overnight - I don't think that's an indication of anything!

What do you mean? Jerry's personal toothbrush or just a photo or clip of him brushing his teeth?

I meant an audio recording of him brushing his teeth. Maybe a deluxe box set with one CD for each part of the morning ablution process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Has Williams written stuff this dissonant in any other scores?

World of the words, minority report, mindblowing scores. Plus his post 2000 concert works.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    Link - Jerry Goldsmith

I wanted to listen to some Goldsmith since it's his birthday. God only knows why I picked this. Probably because it's been years since I listened to it - and now I remember why. Maybe on February 10 2020 I'll listen to it again and post a similar message!

Having never heard it, I'll won't judge until I hear it myself. Seeing this sold out so quickly it can't be THAT bad, can it?

Quite a criteria you have there wink This is almost never valid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

World of the words, minority report, mindblowing scores. Plus his post 2000 concert works.

And his pre 2000 ones!
  1. NP: Serenada Schizophrana - Danny Elfman

This is such a beautiful composition. I particularly love the "Blue Strings" segment. Not a particularly upbeat track; more melancholic. But great nonetheless.

Added here because, I believe, some of this CD was used in Deep Sea 3D? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Also Standard Operating Procedure.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Hell, I've been a film music fan since 1973/4 so I should know something about this art form I love so much!? biggrin

I just came in from a bike ride in the cold and my head is kind of dizzy as a result...I read this as "since 1937" biggrin

Being immortal tis possible o' mortal one wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

"world of the words"? biggrin ...love it D, love it! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Yes, again!

Could this be the first score in years to crack my Top 10 of all time! But what will it replace?

I so wish I could hear in this what other people do. I've tried and tried and can't - and I'm a massive Powell fan. This wouldn't even get in my top 20 of 2010, let alone all time!

Same here so I must be afflicted too. This wouldn't get into my top 300 ( of all time, if that ), I keep expecting some of the tracks to turn into an Enya album, I cannot get beyond "okay'ish", really, absolutely nothing special whatsoever to my ears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You have no souls, no heart, no emotions and are obviously musical challenged. You poor, poor fools!

wink

I just watched this clip AGAIN and it's hard for me to hold back the tears. The kid in me comes alive! This is what the magic of the movies is all about! And that's only 3 minutes of 98 minutes of brilliance.

You know, I think some of you have been over saturated with average to below average scores that when a truly great score comes around you might not know it right away. Trust me, I had luke warm feeling towards this score when I first heard it... again, most of my distaste when towards the recording... but subsequent listens and dozens of viewings later this is something that we have all been waiting for, for a very, very long time.

And there is Romantic Flight! I've just melted away....

And the isolated score from the best scene in the film, Forbbiden Friendship

I guess I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. If get goosebumps, a lump in my throat, tears welling up in my eyes and this warm sense of joy in my heart while watching a film or hearing a great piece of music - even after repeated viewings - then someone must be doing something right.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I can't bring myself to like the film much, because, while it was fun and beautiful, it seemed to send the wrong message, because the father character never learns his lesson, which is to love his son for who he is and not just because he follows in his father's footsteps. Yes everyone's happy in the end, but only because Hiccup found a way to please his father and bring peace to everyone...but his father is still a selfish emotionally clueless idiot. just my opinion

But yes, the score is absolutely and incredibly brilliant and the movie, viewed as pure escapism, is great too.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    I can't bring myself to like the film much, because, while it was fun and beautiful, it seemed to send the wrong message, because the father character never learns his lesson, which is to love his son for who he is and not just because he follows in his father's footsteps. Yes everyone's happy in the end, but only because Hiccup found a way to please his father and bring peace to everyone...but his father is still a selfish emotionally clueless idiot. just my opinion

Yes, but by doing so his father finally saw Hiccup for who he truly is. Yes, his dad was an asshole throughout the whole film and probably still is but after the big battle father and son took one tiny step forward in repairing their relationship. Nothing gets fixed right away and only time will tell whether Hiccup's father can truly except him for who he truly is.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So there's going to be a sequel?? biggrin beer

I just looked it up...apparently two sequels AND a TV show are planned!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    You have no souls, no heart, no emotions and are obviously musical challenged. You poor, poor fools!

wink

I just watched this clip AGAIN and it's hard for me to hold back the tears. The kid in me comes alive! This is what the magic of the movies is all about! And that's only 3 minutes of 98 minutes of brilliance.

You know, I think some of you have been over saturated with average to below average scores that when a truly great score comes around you might not know it right away. Trust me, I had luke warm feeling towards this score when I first heard it... again, most of my distaste when towards the recording... but subsequent listens and dozens of viewings later this is something that we have all been waiting for, for a very, very long time.

And there is Romantic Flight! I've just melted away....

And the isolated score from the best scene in the film, Forbbiden Friendship

I guess I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff. If get goosebumps, a lump in my throat, tears welling up in my eyes and this warm sense of joy in my heart while watching a film or hearing a great piece of music - even after repeated viewings - then someone must be doing something right.

-Erik-

Aw come on Erik, no need to patronise anybody by saying we've been "over saturated with average to below average scores", we're all individuals with our own likes and dislikes, I haven't seen the film and to be honest don't have any interest in doing so ( I'm sure I'd feel different if I had a young child to share it with ), I just listen to the score as heard and it's good but I don't hear anything beyond that, in my world it's not something we've "all been waiting for, for a very, very long time" not by any stretch and I've never needed any kind of image to bring a tear to the eye when listening to a piece of music whether it be pop, classical or film, earlier today I was listening to Jerry Goldsmith's MASADA, the track The Slaves just destroys me, a piece I found incredibly moving long before I ever saw the mini-series.

I think I'm starting to go off on a tangent here but I honestly don't get how you think this is a score that is on the verge of breaking your top 10 ( mind you I don't understand how Cutthroat Island is in your top 10 wink ), I can only shake my head and wonder at the hundreds of scores that I'd put before it but then, you could do exactly the same back at me or anyone elses lists of top whatevers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Aw come on Erik, no need to patronise anybody by saying we've been "over saturated with average to below average scores", we're all individuals with our own likes and dislikes,

Ugh! rolleyes Forgot the wink. I was being sarcastic! You failed me again interwebs!!!

Timmer wrote
    ( I'm sure I'd feel different if I had a young child to share it with ),

Screw Liam! This is a film for me. If Liam likes it great but I enjoy this movie with or without him.

Timmer wrote
    And I've never needed any kind of image to bring a tear to the eye when listening to a piece of music whether it be pop, classical or film, earlier today I was listening to Jerry Goldsmith's MASADA, the track The Slaves just destroys me, a piece I found incredibly moving long before I ever saw the mini-series.

Would it kill you to have a listen to the score in context? I understand your feeling towards the score as a stand alone listen but this is film music we are talking about and maybe your perception of the score might change if you see the movie like it did for me. Of course this isn't a requirement when listening to film music but I think we all could do all film music a favour by listening to it with the medium it was composed for.

Anyway, on a different note, I'm also thinking about joining Steven on the disabled list! That's not sarcasm.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    fair nuff Erik but please, PLEASE do NOT join steven on the "disabled" list, you're needed and appreciated here, this board is family...FACT!
  3. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

Yes, again!

Could this be the first score in years to crack my Top 10 of all time! But what will it replace?

I so wish I could hear in this what other people do. I've tried and tried and can't - and I'm a massive Powell fan. This wouldn't even get in my top 20 of 2010, let alone all time!

It's okay. I've seen the film and paid close attention to the music. I don't get what the big deal is either...
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

I really need to search for his concert material because Minority Report and War of the Worlds are some of my favorite Williams scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

I really need to search for his concert material because Minority Report and War of the Worlds are some of my favorite Williams scores.

His concert material is nothing like any of his film scores, really. I like a lot of it, but it's very different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On a grumpy note this morning,but seriously enough though:

I really don't like it when people that have spent shitloads of time here, decide to leave entirely and fuck everything else and everyone else behind, 'cause "people don't understand me here anymore". Just because we don't all jizz our pants with the same movies and scores you like (and it's vice versa, why aren't we leaving too?) that doesn't mean you have to leave. I am talking about Steven out of whom i am extremely disappointed (yeah, it's his life i know but i hate when people with whom i've shared so many talks, hours,debates and score, suddenly decide to fuck me over) and statements such as your above, Erik.

What, is it a thread or something? Of course everybody is entitled to do whatever they want and yes, at some point of time i understand that some people naturally have obligations above these which FORCE them to leave, but that's entirely different from departing 'because nobody understands you anymore', you know, departing emo ways. Yeah, i am harsh but i hate it when it happens.

I can't guarantee i'll be here forever, but if i ever leave it won't be because i suddenly turned emo. You wouldn't walk out of your bar buddies because they don't go crazy about the dragon thingy, would you? Why would you do here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If someone leaves, I'm sure it's to do with reasons that are important and valid to him/her and not particularly to "screw anyone over".
    I think it's fine expressing dismay and sadness to see people you've shared a LOT with move away (I miss Steven and Bregje -for example- greatly still!), but then -as IRL- that's just the way of things.

It's fine to talk them out of it (ERIK, DON'T GOOOOOOOOO! I love Dragons! wink ), but to take it as a personal affront (where it's clearly not) seems a bit over the top (as much as I sympathise with your feelings in this). But then this may well be a "southern" thing. I know that any type of relationship in southern Europe is often FAR more emotionally intense than a more "northern" view (to the level of implied contracts! Don't laugh! I've actually seen it happen several times! shocked )

So anyway.
    Erm.
    Anyway.
    I need coffee.

Oh yeah, and NP: The Thriller Memorandum - various artists
    Funky as fook! Punky as Pook! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not taking it personally, it was more of a general comment, on the basis of mostly Steven's departure. I know Erik probably meant it a bit sarcastic? But you can't expect everyone else to like what you do, at least at the same degree, it's natural. You can't 'bail out' whenever that's the case. Of course there are reasons why people leave, most serious and it can happen to everyone; it's another case, well-respected. But this is different; I strongly feel, that was the case with Steven though, for anyone following his online presence during the last year here, it's pretty evident he was let down everytime someone didn't like what he did, or commented negatively on his likes. It's all natural as i said and people shouldn't take it personally. You wouldn't leave the bar with your buddies if they made fun of something you liked or disagreed with you, would you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    But you can't expect everyone else to like what you do, at least at the same degree, it's natural. You can't 'bail out' whenever that's the case.

Doesn't seem to me that's the reason.
    But of course I may be wrong.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't know, it's the impression i got from Steven. Maybe i am wrong too.
  5. I think that part of the issue is that people remember more the disagreements in taste more than the positive nods - I know I sometimes do. And after a while it seems best to walk away for a bit.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. CINEMA SYMPHONY - ANDREW PEARCE

DON'T LEAVE THIS PLACE ERIK!!!!!! You're the one that showed me the light with this little gem, remember?

You cannot think that the fact somebody disagrees with you is a reason to bail out? What about all the agreements we all shared. Don't forget about those. That's the reason I'm listening to this rousing work in the first place. If anything, I value your opinion more than anyone else's.

So stay mate. I did a short AWOL too once, when I felt a little disappointed with this place, and I'm glad I came back because Tim is right, this is sort of a family, one I feel I can talk to whenever I want.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    I had heard the score a few times before seeing the film and enjoyed it - minus the shit mix, which I fixed - but once I saw the movie... well, please allow the omg emoticon to explain to you my reaction to both film and score.

omg

'nuff said!

I've seen the film at least a dozen times and the score I've listened to at least one a week since its release.

-Erik-

I have to agree with Erik! I liked the score very much until I saw the movie, and then it totally blew my mind how wonderful it all in fact was. Cues that were good suddenly sky rocketed, other cues created movie magic once I saw them connected to the visuals. It is that typical combination of music and movie that makes both of them better.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    CINEMA SYMPHONY - ANDREW PEARCE

If anything, I value your opinion more than anyone else's.

is that so? then ask him if he wants to be your brother instead moon
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm not going into the details as to why I am leaving for a while but one of the reasons is that I'm spending way too much time on message boards instead of doing what I should be doing... like working and writing radio show scripts instead of, for example, writing multiple paragraphs defending scores I like. I'm becoming way to obsessed with this all and I realized that last night when conversing with Timmer. I wrote this huge post defending Dragon when I should have been writing that same thing in my Best of 2010 script. I love spending time with you guys, I truly do, but this is taking away too much time from more important things.

I also frequent other message boards (FSM, Moviemusic, Intrada, Filmtracks, IFMCA) and I will be limiting my time there, too.

As for Demetris, if we were in a bar I would have decked you by now. I respect you pal but some times you need a solid kick in the ass. This has absolutely nothing to do with you and I'm disappointed that you made this about you! My feelings don't get hurt when some one disagrees with my opinions and as you can clearly tell in my posts before my "disabled list" announcement that I was having some fun with it. So, please, get over yourself, Demetris. By the way, how is the virtual lip feeling right now? Pow! Right in the kisser!

I'll still be monitoring the forum from time to time and who know I might be back next week but right now I really need to take a break and get back to more important things like my family, work and my radio show.

-Erik-
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    ...I'm spending way too much time on message boards instead of doing what I should be doing... like working and writing...

Now this is something I can definitely relate to. I should really been spending much more time today writing but I've been listening to Richard Marvin stuff and Goldsmith's Gremlins. This latter "project" (makes it sound more important and helps justify doing this rather than proper work) I have on in the background whilst preparing lunch. But there's so many weird things being played I need to listen to it more attentively to try and work out what on earth is going on!