• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011 edited
    Yes, it is really soon, but, as the organisation is already warming up the engine for the new edition of the festival, let's start with the updates!

Confirmed guests, so far:

CHRISTOPHER LENNERTZ (Music Director)
    BRUNO COULAIS (Honorary President)
    ÓSCAR ARAUJO

This year, the festival will pay tribute to MICHAEL KAMEN. The symphonic concert will feature some of his works; Chris Lennertz is specially working with the organisation regarding this tribute.

I'll keep you posted smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011
    Aha!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011
    BRUNO COULAIS, excellent!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Michael Kamen, so far so good smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011 edited
    I don't think I'll make it a larger holiday, like last year. Unless massive MT meetings are a possibility, I think I'm also going to skip a year, due to hassle of just going to Ubeda itself.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    I don't think I'll make it a larger holiday, like last year. Unless massive MT meetings are a possibility, I think I'm also going to skip a year, due to hassle of just going to Ubeda itself.

sad

Maybe THIS can help and make you think it twice?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No Ubeda for me either this year, I think. sad

The no. 1 film music event for me right now - which gets priority before all else - is to see John Williams live. And for that I need to go to LA & the Hollywood Bowl (and combine it with a holiday) - unless he also does one in NY, which is more convenient from Norway. I know he does Boston too (Tanglewood etc.), but it's not really a place I'd like to go on holiday. And I need to do it within the next 3-4 years, because I think that's the number of times he'll be conducting before he retires from concerts.

The only exception is European things that are easily accesible and cheap from Norway. Ghent. Maybe Krakow. Stuff like that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011 edited
    We inform you that the VIIth International Film Music Festival “Ciudad de Úbeda" is going to be held between 18th and 24th of July 2011, modifying the dates that were announced a short time ago (initially, from 13th to 17th of the same month).

This date change has been made in order to adapt the agenda of the guests who will attend this year's festival, making easier the programming of the Festival at all levels; the composition workshop, the conferences, and the concerts that are going to be performed (for which is necessary to have the opinion and availability of the composers coming to this VIIth edition).

The composition workshop is going to be held from 18th to 21st of July, while 20th to 24th of July are the dates assigned to attend the Festival and enjoy activities like the concert or the meetings with the composer’s (we will soon reveal the contents of these activities).

We would like to remember you that Bruno Coulais will be our new President of Honor, and Christopher Lennertz will be the Honorary Musical Director, in a Festival that’s going to perform a tribute to one of the greatest composers of film history, Michael Kamen (1948-2003), and which will also have the presence of Oscar Araujo, recently nominated for IFMCA Awards (the real “Soundtrack Oscars”) in best revelation composer and best composition in the world of videogames categories, for the game Castlevania: Lord of Shadows (that will premiere a suite in Úbeda, straight from the composer).

Next week we encourage you to follow us, as we’ll announce good news that will delight the attendants of the Festival, and soon after that, we will keep you in touch with updates on the guest composers and the opening of
    the registration period for the Festival.
    Kazoo
  2. Something to add to the mix for July. I think I heard that there is the potential for major disruption to travel at the time of the festival.

Action is likely to disrupt air travel to, from and within Spain or to make it difficult to arrange travel because of uncertaintly of industrial action.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011
    Strikes you mean? Already announced??? That's early!
    Kazoo
  3. Yes, strikes. I think that there are no specific dates in July. But they want to go for maximum disruption. But even if it is not on these dates for Ubeda, the knock-on effects are also likely to be disruptive.

I know something is planned for times of peak travel - Easter weekend, etc.

It is a long way off and the industrial action may not happen but if people are planning travel now then this is worth considering. Maybe one of our Spanish members could give a sense on the likelihood of the action and how disruptive it could be?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Here is a link to the news:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12682293
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That is madness! Strikes in high season. face-palm-mt
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    That is madness! Strikes in high season. face-palm-mt

To have the greatest effect, I would assume.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sure, but that will not be received with much respect from tourists or visitors? I know it's not so simple and I'm no anti-union guy, but it sometimes baffles me at how dangerous some of these actions are. But perhaps currently these are just warnings for a new negotiation?

I'm probably wrong though. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Are you planning to go Alan?
    Kazoo
  5. I don't think so. With my ongoing situation and with there being a couple of things here in the UK that look interesting it may be best to pass. All this uncertainty on travel would be enough for me to pass this up if I were thinking of going. Travel plans certainty is something I prize almost above all else!

As far as strikes is concerned, striking for maximal effect is what is best for the unions. Maximal disruption will get the public on their side because they believe a disgruntled public will blame management for disruption rather than the workers.

What was it the fire service were going to strike during here in the UK a few months ago but they backed down because that would have been too much for Joe Public to condone and would actually affect safety?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ireland, all fucked.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    When will more names be announced?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    Things seem to go a bit slow this year, honestly. I don't think it'll take too long to know moer guests though.
  6. I want someone big in Spain... me like spain... sad
    It's life Jim!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011
    Careful what you wish for, it could be Katie Price.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011 edited
    I wouldn't mind going to this if it turns into a worthwhile-looking event. Would certainly be handy if I eventually settle on Portugal as my holiday destination this Summer. It'd kick-start it proper. Anyone else considering it...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011
    But there's stuff in Birmingham that weekend as well. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011
    I know where I'd rather be... cool wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011 edited
    New guest: Philippe Sarde

Press release:
    Our new guest to the VII International Film Music Festival - City of Úbeda is a true legend in the world of film music, the great French composer Philippe Sarde who has shown remarkable melodic and symphonic skills, always standing out at depicting the drama or the romance of the movies he has worked on.

During his presence in the VII Úbeda International Film Music Festival, Úbeda’s Mayor will present him with the distinction "Francisco de los Cobos’ Arts Merit" in recognition of his brilliant career, a distinction that was granted two years ago to Alberto Iglesias.

He began his career in film music in 1970 in his native country, alongside director Claude Sautet, a collaboration that comprised eleven films, beginning with the melodrama Les choses de la Vie, and continuing with films like the brilliant Max et les Ferrailleurs (1971) and Mado (1976), and finally Nelly et Monsieur Arnaud (1995).

Other collaborations in his native country include those with director Pierre Granier-Deferre (with pictures such as Le Petit Garçon (1995), L’Viuda Couderc and Le Chat, both 1971), and with the duo director / screenwriter Marco Ferreri / Rafael Azcona, specially in three particular films that shape a unique trilogy led by La Grande Bouffe (1973), along with Touché pas à la Femme Blanche (1974) and La Dernière Femme (1976), and finally, with director Bertrand Tavernier, in such films as The Clockmaker (1974) or La Fille de D'Artagnan (1994).

The Chieftains’ participation in a score by the French Maestro, for the drama Un Taxi Mauve (1977) deserves being highlighted as well, standing out in a film which features nothing less than players from the likes of
    Fred Astaire, Peter Ustinov, Charlotte Rampling and Philippe Noiret.

He won the Cesar, the French equivalent to the Oscar, for his fine work in Barocco (1976), starting the same year a fruitful collaboration with Roman Polanski in The Tenant, a thriller that provided a good opportunity for Sarde to develop dark and gloomy music.

The pinnacle of his collaboration with Polanski is Tess (1979), a period drama with Nastassa Kinski in the lead, which will bring his only Oscar nomination to this day for one of his best scores. Finally he undertook a
    final and unsuccessful project alongside the controversial director, Pirates (1986), which nevertheless boasted another great work by the French composer, one of his most celebrated scores, full of fanfares and great musical passages in the style of classic adventure.

The 80s bring the assignment to the French composer of a few American projects, such as the horror film Ghost Story (1981) by John Irvin, a magnificent and terrifying score, with a masterful choral section, and the
    adventure film The Manhattan Project (1986), featuring a beautiful love theme, along with a masterly mix of symphonic music and synthesizer very distinctive of the time.

In 1984 he was appointed Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres, and in 1988 he received the Radio-France Award for best composer.

His other great contribution in this period must be found in his work for two of French director Jean-Jacques Annaud’s best movies, Quest for Fire (1981), one of his more complex and perfect scores for this quasi-documentary film on the origins of men, when he was able to record the score with the London Symphony Orchestra, and the excellent The Bear (1989), a blockbuster, and another turning point in the French composer’s career.

In 1989 he worked for director Costa-Gavras's acclaimed legal drama The Music Box, where he composed a masterful score with folk and Jewish influences, most notably on the beautiful Ann’s Theme, featuring a dreamy vocal soloist.

Their collaboration ended in 1993 with the comedy Le Petite Apocalypse, although he composed additional music for the movie Mad City (1997), as a result of Gavras’ dissatisfaction with the score composed by Thomas Newman.

In 1990 he also composed the score of a new version of the classic Lord of the Flies, which features a dark and sinister musical side, with the presence of children's choir, referring to the protagonists of the film, children lost in a forest, imposing their law.

During the 90s he has worked mostly in French cinema, and in his work for producer Alain Sarde, brother of the composer, stand out three titles: the crime drama L.627 (1992), with a touch of Morricone, and directed by Bertrand Tavernier, the thriller Max & Jeremy (1992), with an exceptional score of the French composer in the spotlight, and the drama Les Voleurs (1996).

He has also worked for director Alexandre Arcady in several films,including two on Jewish suffering, such as Pour Sacha (1991), which includes an exceptional theme for violin, and K (1997), which uses choral groups to emphasize the drama, as well as an action drama called Entre Chiens et Loups (2001). An all-electronic score by the French composer must also be distinguished, Eve of Destruction (1991), which would be one of his rare appearances in the U.S. market.

In the new century, he has worked in the American comedy Sister Mary Explains It All (2001), a TV movie with Diane Keaton in the main character, as well as very recently in Bertrand Tavernier's new film, The Princess of Montpensier (2010).

Next Week, we are going to open the inscription period. We send us an email with the link and instructions.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Careful what you wish for, it could be Katie Price.

I'd definitely go then.

I saw her in Bristol a few years ago. Literally hundreds of people crowded round her following her. Never seen anything like it. I saw Jennifer Lopez once (not in Bristol, I hasten to add) and she was attracting far less attention, and she's a genuine famous person. I once (literally) bumped into Elvis Costello and I don't think anyone even knew who he was.

When I "met" (slight exaggeration) Terry Gilliam, I called him Terry Jones by mistake (how idiotic) but he didn't correct me. Two minutes later, Leonard Slatkin tripped over my outstretched leg while carrying a glass of champagne. A night to remember for Southall/celebrity mishaps.

Oh, and I once sat next to Pete Waterman at a football match. Lovely bloke (very tall).

I seem to have veered off topic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
    I'd rather see J-Lo, where did you see her?

and Katie Price, where was that in Bristol?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
    J-Lo in Los Angeles.

Katie was walking round Broadmead!
  7. I'm not sure I could pick Katie Price out of a crowd - unless she had no clothes on.