• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011
    NP: Horton Hears A Who! - John Powell

Weeeeee Areeeeeeee Heeeeeeeeeeere

(no I'm not Jordi)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: True Grit (Carter Burwell)

One of Burwell's best. The use of the Protestant hymn melodies was an inspired choice. The directness of the little girl's world view comes through.

It's lovely indeed. Haven't seen the film yet although i am a fan of their work. Worth it?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: Batman Begins (complete) - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

I was mainly interested in the Train Fight cue and the cool rendition of the first Batman theme in the last portion of the End Credits. The percussion is a bit heavily mixed in this version for some reason, but it's great to have these two in good quality at last.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Miya wrote
    NP: Horton Hears A Who! - John Powell

Weeeeee Areeeeeeee Heeeeeeeeeeere

(no I'm not Jordi)

punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011 edited
    NP: X-Men: First Class - Henry Jackman

First listen... love the big orchestra with long lined heroic theme for brass and horns back by rock drums in the first track... it's a big, ballsy cue and a perfect way to start the album. It's a 60 minute album so I hope the rest holds up. The art work is pants but then again in entire marketing campaign has sucked large!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He has shown some great promise so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Woah that's an awful piece of artwork (the other links you posted are laughable indeed) but isn't this the cover? are there two of them? http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-First-Class … HEQFL7XLQK
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ah, thank you for that! Much better!

-Erik-
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: X-Men: First Class - Henry Jackman

First listen... love the big orchestra with long lined heroic theme for brass and horns back by rock drums in the first track... it's a big, ballsy cue and a perfect way to start the album. It's a 60 minute album so I hope the rest holds up. The art work is pants but then again in entire marketing campaign has sucked large!

-Erik-

The main theme is good, but Magneto's theme is even better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: X-Men: First Class

Thematic material is good. The orchestration is solid. The overall sound is good, very orchestral and organic sounding with a liberal sprinkles of electronica/rock material throughout. It's not bad at all. I'm hoping that this score will grow on me the more I listen to it.
  2. Love's Labour's Lost - Patrick Doyle

Listening to the 25 minutes (ish) of score on the album is a pleasant way to spend a study break. Typical 1990s lyrical Doyle sound.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: A Single Man - Abel Korzeniowski & Shigeru Umebayashi

First listen

OMG OMG OMG!!

shocked shocked shocked

What a... where have I been? I'm speechless....

THIS MUSIC IS MINDBLOWING!

Ok, sorry for the fanboy reaction but it's been a while since I listened to such a powerful score.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: True Grit (Carter Burwell)

One of Burwell's best. The use of the Protestant hymn melodies was an inspired choice. The directness of the little girl's world view comes through.

It's lovely indeed. Haven't seen the film yet although i am a fan of their work. Worth it?

A good film, I thought. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    One True Thing - Cliff Eidelman

A bit boring, really. Someone's post yesterday prompted me to listen to some Eidelman. Last night I thoroughly enjoyed Now and Then and thought Untamed Heart wasn't as good as I remembered.
  4. Days of Thunder - Hans Zimmer

Compared to scores around the same era (Driving Miss Daisy, Green Card, Thelma & Louise, K2), this score doesn't really hold up as well.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    One True Thing - Cliff Eidelman

I've only heard the main theme, but I find it utterly lovely.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011
    Cristian wrote
    NP: A Single Man - Abel Korzeniowski & Shigeru Umebayashi

First listen

OMG OMG OMG!!

shocked shocked shocked

What a... where have I been? I'm speechless....

THIS MUSIC IS MINDBLOWING!

Ok, sorry for the fanboy reaction but it's been a while since I listened to such a powerful score.

Wait 'till you hear THE LAST STATION by Sergei Yevtushenko too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Wait 'till you hear THE LAST STATION by Sergei Yevtushenko too.

I don't change my signature often, in fact, that score might have been enough to inspire my only signature change since we switched from ScoreReviews to MainTitles! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Thought that I'd listen to a random playlist whilst people are listening to things that haven't been released yet (at least over here in the UK).

"The Return" - Scarecrows - Terry Plumeri

Nice pizzicato and sliding strings start off a track that's mostly a tense ostinato track. Plumeri is a composer whose work (that I've heard) doesn't disappoint. Intrada's artwork for this is good.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. 2

"Robbinsville (Reprise)" - Nell - Mark Isham

I really like this theme. Nice and jaunty with a hint of ethnicity with the choice of instruments, it's a track that's always cheery-sounding. The track quietens down in the middle with a nice flute/strings interlude to catch the breath before restating the theme.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. 3

"Vampire's Ceremony" - Body Double - Pino Donaggio

A definite Herrmann influence with this track, particularly in the brass early on. The electronic embellishments are borderline annoying though.
  8. 4

"La Lettre Perdue" - Chouans! - Georges Delerue

I don't usually reach for this track when I listen to this score as I tend to go for the tracks that contain bolder statements of the theme. But the theme does appear, though in a bit more restrained form than elsewhere, towards the end of the track.

I think that this must be my favourite Delerue theme (thanks Bregje for putting me on to this CD).
  9. 5

"Murder In The First" - Murder In The First - Christopher Young

I'm on a roll now with great themes! Young's heartbreaking theme for this is one of his best compositions. Knowing what's coming in this track, and the way that the composer builds and builds towards the theme is aching. Though not heard here, I am usually torn between the vocal version and the orchestral version of the theme deciding a favourite of the two.
  10. 6

"Theme" - Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - Ronnie Hazlehurst

What? Who? I hear the majority of people. But, for a certain generation, this theme is instantly recognisable. The regular 30-second theme bookends variations of the theme that (for the majority of full versions of TV themes) can be annoying.
  11. 7

"Morning In Flatland" - Flatland - Kazimir Boyle

This track reminds me of the quieter, staccato passages from Jablonsky's Steamboy. I've no idea about the movie this is from but the staccato feel of this synth score and the lightness appeals a lot.
  12. 8

"Ten Million Or Death" - Black Sea Raid - Terry Plumeri

A tense track that builds to a dramatic crescendo. Snare drums add a martial feel to the cue (along with the brass).
  13. 9

"Sous Un Faux Nom" - Le Prix du Désir - Ludovico Einaudi

Not much to this track but the echoing piano line sitting over string chord progressions are hypnotic.
  14. 10

"Le Duc d'Orléans" - La Commanderie - Francois Staal

A 1-minute track that's not too important but there's an ostinato in the strings that I like - and that's enough to get a track into my "favourites" playlist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Alan - You need to start a blog!

-Erik-
  15. Erik Woods wrote
    Alan - You need to start a blog!

-Erik-

I've been trying to start up something on WordPress but it is finding the time to put anything on it. I do have big ideas of reviews, somewhere for my year-on-year score choices to live and comments (maybe even book reviews). But time is short and I'm having to relearn how to do what since I don't use it regularly at the moment.