• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011
    I love that section of the score you mentioned. The action music is surprisingly wild and frenetic during that final scene. Definitely want to hear more like that from James.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT (Jerry Goldsmith)

The classic thematic material is top-notch, and love the more stately, celebratory theme. The action music is so-so.

The only cue missing from making this one a perfect album is "Flight of the Phoenix." Too bad they left that off so we'll have to wait from an expanded treatment of the score to get that one commercially.

-Erik-

The only thing with that is that I don't think it fits in with the rest of the score as well as Joel G's other music (on the album) does. It's a good piece though. I'm sure the inevitable expanded release will have every last note on it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I have the piece, inserted it where I think it should go and it's magnificent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    I dreamed a dream in time gone by...

That is a very good song, IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Yo-Yo Ma PLAYS Ennio Morricone

Superb!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Water for Elephant - JNH

It's okay. It's a score that I have to be in the right mood to enjoy, and I don't think I have time to get into that mood. It does sound pretty though and as good as James normal does it. I might have to watch the movie first before listening to this again... Gonna head toward the action stuff now.
  1. Timmer wrote
    NP : Yo-Yo Ma PLAYS Ennio Morricone

Superb!

You nailed it in one word Tim!!
  2. "Space: Above and Beyond"
    (the late Shirley Walker)

Picked out parts, now editing and ripping to make suites.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011 edited
    NP: TANGO & CASH (Harold Faltermeyer)

Love the themes, some of the suspense writing is a bit grating, so it doesn't hold up very well in C&C. This is signed in silver pen by the H man himself!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    H Man himself?
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote
    I dreamed a dream in time gone by...

That is a very good song, IMO.

Indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    H Man himself?

I wish! One of my childhood heroes.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Alexander (Vangelis)

I've given this a fair hit over the head at times, but today I enjoy it. Oh well.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011
    First listen on CD of The Social Network by Reznor and Ross is a depressing experience to say the least, to think that such generic electronics could be rewarded with the Oscar. Yes it serves the film but it's hardly inextricably linked to it; in other words it could have survived fine without it - unlike How to Train Your Dragon which is the polar opposite in every way.

And besides, when the one source cue - In the Hall of the Mountain King - starts up, why am I constantly thinking, "Inspector Gagdet!!"?? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011 edited
    David OC wrote
    First listen on CD of The Social Network by Reznor and Ross is a depressing experience to say the least, to think that such generic electronics could be rewarded with the Oscar. Yes it serves the film but it's hardly inextricably linked to it; in other words it could have survived fine without it - unlike How to Train Your Dragon which is the polar opposite in every way.

And besides, when the one source cue - In the Hall of the Mountain King - starts up, why am I constantly thinking, "Inspector Gagdet!!"?? wink

I quite disagree with that.

I think it's a superb and highly sophisticated score in the film, and a cool listening experience alone -- especially if you're into the gritty kind of electronica (like Dust Bros' FIGHT CLUB or Chemical Bros' HANNAH). The synthesized version of Grieg's "Mountain King" is also one of the best of its kind I've heard since the days of Wendy Carlos.

Definitely deserved the Oscar, IMO (and it was my educated guess too).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ROCKY IV (Vince di Cola)

The definition of kick ass score! Groovy 80's synth at its best.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David OC wrote

yeah

Thor - I think most of us made the same educated guess even though we were routing for the far superior and more deserving score to win.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, it probably wasn't a big surprise to most people -- whichever side of the fence you're on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MUMMY (Jerry Goldsmith)

Simply put my favourite JG album of all time!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Avalon (Randy Newman)

There isn't a second in this score I don't enjoy. In the hobby of film music that's a rarity. Especially the theme heard in "The fire" always gets to me. It's so simplistic, and yet so powerful.

Rating: ****½

Peter smile

One of my favourites. I'd give it the extra half star. Such a shame he has so rarely got to deliver such music since. (A truly beautiful film, too.)

5 stars, wow. Personally, even though I enjoy it throughout, the score is little and intimate, and besides "The fire" theme I'm never really blown away, even though I enjoy it all. Therefore I can't give it a 5 star rating like "The good, the bad and the ugly" or "Conan the barbarian". It's not that caliber, even though it's good.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    David OC wrote

yeah

Thor - I think most of us made the same educated guess even though we were routing for the far superior and more deserving score to win.

-Erik-

I guessed correctly too.

I nearly always get 'best score' winners wrong except for when I see "outsiders" listed, in the past this has included the wins by Vangelis, Giorgio Moroder and Gustavo Santaollela.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE 13TH WARRIOR (Jerry Goldsmith)

The flipside of THE MUMMY; and while it's not QUITE as good, it's still a bloody good album. This is my last JG album in my chronological walkthrough.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HEMINGWAY'S ADVENTURES OF A YOUNG MAN (Franz Waxman)

I always thought this was called Hemingway's Adventures AS a young man, for some reason. Anyways, pretty cool score - excursions into jazz here and there, with none other than John Williams performing quirky piano solos (on a de-tuned piano).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Water Horse: The Legend of the Deep - James Newton Howard

I'd say 2007 was the last time James Newton Howard wrote a series of traditional, thrilling and yet lyrically beautiful cues that we were accustom to getting from him in past projects. Starting with "There's No Monster" ending with "End of the Story" not even The Last Airbender came close to the epic sound of this underrated score.

-Erik-

Agree. And a very special score since I played it in my travel to Scotland.

NP:The Last Samurai

Leaving aside the cheap and synthetic action stuff (specially the horrible rendition of Algren's theme on it). this is Zimmer most mature and coherent score ever.

" a way of life" it's one of the most beautiful tracks I ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: First Knight - JG

Typically great Goldsmith score to a not so great movie. Lancelot's theme is excellent. Guinevere/Love Theme is gorgeous, albeit slightly under utilized (as in I want one 4-5minute concert arrangement with the full rendition and development of the theme). And the action material is typically awesome, and much better than later action outputs, except The Mummy and Mulan and some other that I'm forgetting now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nautilus wrote
    PS: Ironically is what Zimmer tried to do with his failed Inception score.

It seems like every other moment you either love this score or you hate it. Please make up your mind.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    KevinSmith wrote
    Beyond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer

Although I know Pawel will disagree, there are good highlights (including the 10 minute finale), and the main theme is lovely on the exotic flute, but as a whole, this score is a bit too samey (even with the short album). Still good though.

Extraordinary score to a pretty decent movie. My fave Zimmy.

Peter punk
  4. NP: My Love Is Always Here - Deathly Hallows (Desplat)

So beautiful. I never thought that Desplat can write for chorus like this. This gives me hope that he has written great choral material for Part 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Rock (Expanded)- Nick Glennie-Smith and friends

Excellent score. Classic melodies, head bobbing good action thematics and dynamic cues, just excellent stuff. Will LLL, or ANYONE release a complete version, please? I'll get it even at 30 bucks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Avalon (Randy Newman)

There isn't a second in this score I don't enjoy. In the hobby of film music that's a rarity. Especially the theme heard in "The fire" always gets to me. It's so simplistic, and yet so powerful.

Rating: ****½

Peter smile

One of my favourites. I'd give it the extra half star. Such a shame he has so rarely got to deliver such music since. (A truly beautiful film, too.)

5 stars, wow. Personally, even though I enjoy it throughout, the score is little and intimate, and besides "The fire" theme I'm never really blown away, even though I enjoy it all. Therefore I can't give it a 5 star rating like "The good, the bad and the ugly" or "Conan the barbarian". It's not that caliber, even though it's good.

Peter smile

I think it's pretty rare for this type of score to completely avoid being sentimental yet still be so beautiful. It's in my top five of the 1990s.