• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011
    I read somewhere that John Williams said that a simple, catchy theme was much more difficult to come up with than writing complex music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Especially since now there are so very many of them? Rare is the new theme that doesn't remind someone of something from somewhere from sometime.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I was just in the mood for it... but yeah, I actually enjoy it and I think that has a lot to do with my enjoyment for Tron: Legacy. Son of a bitch!

-Erik-

Both instant favorites, Dark knight and Thor .Worked wonders on their perspective films and of course great listening experiences on cd.

ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - tree of life

I am glad i haven't given up on this 'cause it's grown and i truly believe it's one of the most clever scores of the year with a very strong personality.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Tron Legacy is pure awesomeness in CD form.

And in the movie, it's brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am glad i haven't given up on this 'cause it's grown and i truly believe it's one of the most clever scores of the year with a very strong personality.

I only listened to it once and I like it already, I feel like I am one of the few truly loyal Desplat fans on the interwebs tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    That's next, which I always thought was a fascinating album but a terrible film score!

-Erik-

Strange; i thought that if you removed that score from the film or lowered the volume down to a level that the score wasn't prominent enough, it actually cut the impact it had on me in half.
  1. Parts of the "MillenniuM" season one score promo. Love and own the LLLR 2CD set (in fact, read my review on this site), but some tracks from hte promo are not on it, including two of my favorites.

Listened to a couple cues, but will be finishing off -- for the first time -- all the "Space: Above & Beyond" pilot score, Shirley Walker.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: The Interpreter - James Newton Howard

I like the piano, the african percussion and the ethnic touch in this score. In my opinion a good score by JNH.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    By the way...It is so hard for a COMPOSER to compose a decent main theme ?

You know what I actually think it is. That's not a knock at just Hackman but I'm sure coming up with a decent theme is one of the most difficult and challenging things a composer has to do.

-Erik-

I think it must be extremely difficult. It just makes me appreciate composers like Goldsmith, Williams, Morricone even more. I know that on the one hand themes aren't really "in" at the moment, but I wonder how much of that is actually down to them not being "in" and how much of it is down to there just not being the people around who can actually write them well. I sometimes say that a score like Dances With Wolves has more distinctive, memorable themes in it than most film composers manage in their whole careers and actually, I'm not joking.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KNOWING - Marco Beltrami

I like it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM - John Williams

They can't write them like this anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011 edited
    I tried to get through X:MEN: FIRST CLASS a second time and well... after a dynamite opening cue the rest isn't very good.

Moving on... and thank you Timmer for the inspiration!

NP: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

Don't have much time to listen to this so I'm skipping ahead to "Short Round Helps" featuring my all time favorite rendition of the Raiders March starting at 3:54.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011 edited
    Quigley Down Under - Basil Poledouris

punk

I have the original 40 ish minute album and I'm satisfied with it.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Wilde (Wiseman)

Bloody good from start to finish.

Rating: *****

Wild wild west (Bernstein)

Meh. Good theme, but nothing compared to his classic western themes. The album is only a half hour long, yet there's very little material I enjoy.

Rating: ***

Peter smile
  2. Alexandre Desplat - The Tree of Life

Great score, was looking for something this emotional and intellectual at the same time for a very long time...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2011
    NP : THE LORD OF THE RINGS : THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Howard Shore

One of only a few scores in the 00's that would stand up in any decade.
  3. NP: A Man Called Peter (Alfred Newman)

Sweet and lyrical.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The 6th day (Rabin)

Luvvit! While the excellent "Adam's theme" is the only really strong theme, there's a great middle eastern feel to this score (though the movie has nothing middle eastern about it) and all the tracks are highly listenable. A great score for a very entertaining sci-fi movie.

Rating: ****

Peter punk
  4. Timmer wrote

But as Southall would suggest, what if Jerry Goldsmith scored it? wink
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Devil's Own - Horner

Very boring.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote

But as Southall would suggest, what if Jerry Goldsmith scored it? wink

Who knows??

The Goldsmith of the mid 70's to early 80's would have knocked it out of the ball park. Later than that and I fear there would have been a horrible synth-fest going on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Imagine how 80's-synth-Goldsmith would have scored the Shelob scenes! shocked biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Obviously I wasn't thinking of the 80s-synth-Goldsmith. I was thinking more of the Goldsmith of Mr Baseball.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Obviously I wasn't thinking of the 80s-synth-Goldsmith. I was thinking more of the Goldsmith of Mr Baseball.

Yikes! shocked

NP : A WHALE FOR THE KILLING - Basil Poledouris

A much missed talent and, I feel, seriously underrated, at least by film makers. This score is lovely, only approximately 25 minutes long, I just pass WIND ( pun intended wink ) and go straight to this score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Yikes! shocked

A much missed talent and, I feel, seriously underrated, at least by film makers. This score is lovely, only approximately 25 minutes long, I just pass WIND ( pun intended wink ) and go straight to this score.

Well, that score, which pre-dates CONAN has some very CONAN sounding bits so after that there's only one score I can play...

NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris

love
  5. The TV is on here at the moment. Tora! Tora! Tora! is on and I am listening to Goldsmith's excellent score.

It's a slim link to normality.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Yikes! shocked

Well, that score, which pre-dates CONAN has some very CONAN sounding bits so after that there's only one score I can play...

NP : CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris

love

Just passed the track Conan Leaves Valeria / The Search ( titled The Leaving / The Search on the original recording ), it's a track that always brings a tear to my eye, having bought the original LP less than a week before my Dad died it always reminds me of him and, by association, my Mum too, it's such a beautiful track and if I may I'd like to dedicate this play to those of you here who have and are going through such a terrible time right now.

-Tim
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A change of pace...

NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

A wonderful score that's rarely mentioned around here except by Erik & myself, easily a 4.5/5 score for me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall