• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Alan - You need to start a blog!

-Erik-

I've been trying to start up something on WordPress but it is finding the time to put anything on it. I do have big ideas of reviews, somewhere for my year-on-year score choices to live and comments (maybe even book reviews). But time is short and I'm having to relearn how to do what since I don't use it regularly at the moment.

Or is it just to stop me taking up so much room here! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011
    Carry on Alan, it's most entertaining beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEdBogie
    Jane Eyre - Dario Marianelli

I absolutely love this. The cues "Wandering Jane" and "Waiting for Mr. Rochester" are simply stunning. I guess I can see how some find it boring, but something about this struck a nerve. Hauntingly beautiful, captured me from the very beginning.

(woah, I can't believe it's been over a year since I first (and last) posted. I'm far too much of a lurker, ha. >_<)
  2. Thor wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS (James Horner)

This is one of the most gorgeous things composed in the 2000's and definitely among Horner's best in that decade. Brilliant film too.

Horner handles the film so well, avoiding making it at all mawkish, handling it very sensitively. The book is incredibly powerful and the film can't live up to it, but it's certainly a very good one. I've just grown to like the album more and more as time has gone by. One of my favourites of the 2000s for sure.

I like the score mainly for the last 30 minutes of it. Talk about emotionally exhausting... shocked

Absolutely, but so is the film.[spoiler] The ending is predictable, but it has an inevitable drive to it that just drains you out. Horner's music is instrumental in this, esp. those string chords that get more and more dissonant, more and more desperate as they approach the final revelation.[/spoiler]

I saw the movie over a year ago, so I know what you're talking about. That's why I said it was so exhausting.
  3. The New World - James Horner

I watched the movie over the weekend, and I liked it a lot, but I was disappointed that Horner's lovely music wasn't used in the way it was intended. It really is one of his best works of his long career. The Hayley Westenra song is the best song Horner ever wrote for a vocalist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011 edited
    Just played:

Rob Roy (Burwell)

I've never heard a Burwell score that I didn't like. He always (at least in the scores I've heard so far) provides a great theme and I tend the find the albums listenable from start to finish. Rob Roy is a good example with tons of celtic influences, and I even like that traditional song. Can't decide whether to rate this album **** or ****½.

Now playing:

Sylvia (Yared)

I like the main theme, though it sounds like something I've heard before. Score is low-key and beautiful throughout.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Wait 'till you hear THE LAST STATION by Sergei Yevtushenko too.

I don't change my signature often, in fact, that score might have been enough to inspire my only signature change since we switched from ScoreReviews to MainTitles! smile

smile

I saw the movie last week too. Very powerful and heartfelt, what Sergei did belongs to the golden age of film music. (not sound-wise, but approach-wise.) Truly beautiful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PHILIPPE ROMBI - un homme et son chien

One of the most beautiful and heartwarming, stunning scores you'll hear. So much elegance and charm, from eras past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Picture Bride - Cliff Eidelman

One of his best. Really lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Currently playing my playlist with the tracks rated 3-5 stars with the search terms "pirates caribbean" on shuffle+repeat. Essentially it's all my favourite tracks from the 4 score albums, the "Remixed & unreleased" album and the "Music from the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy" album. What a blast! punk

Only problem is that some of my neighbors play extremely loud music and I only hear the loud rhythm (plus my windows vibrating) so it sounds like really loud and intensive road work. crazy

Peter
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Something must be wrong with me...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Something must be wrong with me...

-Erik-

Because you like it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I was just in the mood for it... but yeah, I actually enjoy it and I think that has a lot to do with my enjoyment for Tron: Legacy. Son of a bitch!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Tron Legacy is pure awesomeness in CD form.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DANCES WITH WOLVES - John Barry

Brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Age of Heroes - Michael Richard Plowman

This is very un-Moviescore Media like with all the Zimmerisms. It's very enjoyable, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

It's one of the most listened to soundtrack albums in my collection. It actually inspired me to find more electronica music and thanks to my brother who has a sizable collection of the stuff I now have a pretty wicked - albeit small library of cool electronica grooves to keep me company while I work!

And as I stated above I'm now revisiting some of the Zimmer scores that inspired Tron: Legacy including his Batman scores and I find myself really digging The Dark Knight more so then ever before. I've always considered the Joker motif to be one of the finest character themes/motif to come out of Hollywood in the past 10 years or so but I now, for some bizarre reason, have a better appreciation for the entire score album as well. Maybe, just maybe, Zimmer was right all along with his approach to the new Batman films. I really need to revisit both films again soon.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Christodoulides wrote
    Wait 'till you hear THE LAST STATION by Sergei Yevtushenko too.

Thanks, it's now on my wish list!

Same approach like A Single Man violin/piano/strings?

I can't stop listening to A Single Man, it's very nice when you discover a great score from an unknown composer (I'm talking about Abel Korzeniowski, Shigeru Umebayashi was already a favorite of mine).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

It's one of the most listened to soundtrack albums in my collection. It actually inspired me to find more electronica music and thanks to my brother who has a sizable collection of the stuff I now have a pretty wicked - albeit small library of cool electronica grooves to keep me company while I work!

And as I stated above I'm now revisiting some of the Zimmer scores that inspired Tron: Legacy including his Batman scores and I find myself really digging The Dark Knight more so then ever before. I've always considered the Joker motif to be one of the finest character themes/motif to come out of Hollywood in the past 10 years or so but I now, for some bizarre reason, have a better appreciation for the entire score album as well. Maybe, just maybe, Zimmer was right all along with his approach to the new Batman films. I really need to revisit both films again soon.

-Erik-

"why so serious" is terrific. and " A dark Knight" is one of the best cues (and adagios) composeds by Hans in his entire career. I love the 2 notes motif reprise at the end of this cue with a more powerful percusion.

Anyway I think Zimmer sound for this batman saga is a little bit boring. It's far from the creativity of the Bourne series or the soundscapes of Angels of Demons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I knew this would bring you out of hiding!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

:P

Better if you talk about "inception"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's next, which I always thought was a fascinating album but a terrible film score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    X-Men: First Class - Henry Jackman

Largely uneventful.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Agreed, I was waiting for it to pick up but unfortunately it didn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    All the time it feels as if it's about to burst into life, but it never does. It's incredibly dull, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah x3

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

applause

Now, shoot him, SHOOT HIM!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    All the time it feels as if it's about to burst into life, but it never does. It's incredibly dull, really.

Agree. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand!

The Zimmer guys always tries to proof they are not Zimmer using flutes and some "orchestral" color and they forget to really compose a good score.

By the way...It is so hard for a COMPOSER to compose a decent main theme ?

NP:TRON legacy

now we are talking.

the perfect score to go to run.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011
    Nautilus wrote
    By the way...It is so hard for a COMPOSER to compose a decent main theme ?

You know what I actually think it is. That's not a knock at just Hackman but I'm sure coming up with a decent theme is one of the most difficult and challenging things a composer has to do.

-Erik-