• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Circles - The Tree of Life (Desplat)

I haven't stop to listen this cue in the last hour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Ultimate class is ultimate class and must be recognised and worshiped wink punk

I didn't post it earlier because I was too busy enjoying but I played THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK straight after Star Wars. cool

Whoa! Too much perfection for one afternoon! The ultimate score picks happening there! shocked cool
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011
    Green Zone - John Powell

On the one hand, there are some very good percussion/rhythm driven pieces in this score. On the other hand, the memorability of the whole score is a bit lacking (even with some strong cues).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The nativity story (Mychael Danna)

Been an amazing score so far. Currently on track 9.

I predict this will be a ****½ or a *****

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    The nativity story (Mychael Danna)

Been an amazing score so far. Currently on track 9.

I predict this will be a ****½ or a *****

Peter punk

I checked out this, expecting the "religious sound" I love so much. Well, it doesn't really have that. But it's a great score in its own right, with all the world music influences etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The Tree of Life - Alexandre Desplat

It's amazing how Desplat is able to maintain interest for an extended period of time with just a few notes; case in point, "Circles". The only other composer I know who can do that is Thomas Newman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    I checked out this, expecting the "religious sound" I love so much. Well, it doesn't really have that.

I've never really understood what you mean by the "religious sound".

Thor wrote
    But it's a great score in its own right, with all the world music influences etc.

Indeed. Danna is the expert of ancient music. Apparently he did alot of research for this score, and several old instruments from that part of the world is used. Of course when this is combined with a traditional western sound it's pure bliss.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote
    I checked out this, expecting the "religious sound" I love so much. Well, it doesn't really have that.

I've never really understood what you mean by the "religious sound".

I tried to be somewhat specific about it in this thread (with my lack of music-technical knowlegde):

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ous-sound/

Of course, I'm not sure that makes it any clearer.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Looking at the playlists I must admit I don't get it yet, as the cues seem quite different (forr instance "Duel of the fates" vs "La califfa"; I can't think of two more different tracks in the world). I have all the Williams tracks and nearly all of the tracks on the other playlist, and most of those tracks are favourites of mine already, so I think I'll try to make these playlists.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Heard this Thor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfIFlfku8ps
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Looking at the playlists I must admit I don't get it yet, as the cues seem quite different (forr instance "Duel of the fates" vs "La califfa"; I can't think of two more different tracks in the world). I have all the Williams tracks and nearly all of the tracks on the other playlist, and most of those tracks are favourites of mine already, so I think I'll try to make these playlists.

Peter smile

I'll grant you..."Duel of the Fates" is a borderline representative.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Heard this Thor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfIFlfku8ps

Horrible sound quality, but beautiful piece. More romantic than 'religious', perhaps.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Definitely romantic but to me there's more to it than that, a 'reverence'? a 'spiritual' quality, it ticks my religious sound box.

And yeah, horrible sound quality slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

I'll grant you..."Duel of the Fates" is a borderline representative.

"borderline" is an incredible stretch.

either way, it's a fantastic piece of film music.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011 edited
    Priest - Christopher Young

The last third or so of the album including "A World Without End" really makes the score work as a whole.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011
    Back to the Future 3 - Alan Silvestri

For me personally, the real attraction of this score isn't the 12 minute train sequence (although that's a close second). It's actually the lyrical love theme that Silvestri wrote for Doc and Clara, very innocent and pure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love the Barn Dance music too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TOTAL RECALL (Jerry Goldsmith)

Not my kind of stuff anymore (and it's on my sales list), but I have to listen to it as I go through my collection chronologically.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote

For me personally, the real attraction of this score isn't the 12 minute train sequence (although that's a close second). It's actually the lyrical love theme that Silvestri wrote for Doc and Clara, very innocent and pure.

It's the best of the BTTF scores, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

I would probably agree with that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

I would probably disagree with that.

Timmer wrote

ZZ Top rule!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Il gran milagro (McKenzie)

Stunning. Every track seems like a highlight.

Peter love
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Pillars of the Earth ~ Trevor Morris

Somehow, without realising it, this has stolen my heart. It's so uplifting during the grand, bombastic parts and so soothing and melodic in the calm ones with that hidden celtic sound that I have always adored. So beautiful that it makes me travel. It's the kind of sound that builds shelters fow precious moments.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

I would probably disagree with that.

Timmer wrote

ZZ Top rule!

-Erik-

They do! punk

Here's my favourite ZZ Top track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EXXZVdUJ98
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I spent a lot of this afternoon playing great themes from the masters such as John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Elmer Bernstein, Miklos Rozsa etc.

Pure enjoyment!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Here's my favourite ZZ Top track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EXXZVdUJ98

Class song and classic video!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Indeed so.

NP: The Last of the Mohicans - Jones / Edelman

I don't listen to this often because it contains relatively slim pickings, but those pickings are sumptuous indeed.
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Indeed so.

NP: The Last of the Mohicans - Jones / Edelman

I don't listen to this often because it contains relatively slim pickings, but those pickings are sumptuous indeed.

Is that the original album or the re-recording?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The re-recording at the moment. (Mainly to remind myself what it's like - I couldn't remember. Conclusion: it's fine, but I don't need both this and the original recording so will throw one of them away. No point taking up space with both.)
  3. NP: La Ligne Droite --- Patrick Doyle

The theme is used countlessly during god knows how many variations, and even though I like it a lot, I always hear Time on Honour in it (same style with the piano and strings). Considering that score wasn't that well adored by the general population, I find it odd people love this one more.

For me it has a lot in common but La Ligne Droite is a lot more repetitive, perhaps its the sound that does it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh