• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Temptation, Pt. 1 - L.A. Noire (Andrew Hale)

Very good. About time Rockstar Games had an orchestral score for their games.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2011
    The Rock - Hans and friends

Well, since everyone else is... Very enjoyable it is, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2011 edited
    Tropic thunder (Shapiro)

Considering that it's a comedy parodying other movies, the music is perfect. Scored seriously, which of course only makes the movie more fun. The score parodies several known tricks, for instance the wailing woman. There's also a Brian Tyler like anthemic theme, and the rest is more like MV/RC, especially Powell's Bourne scores and some electric guitar rock elements (à la MI:2). Besides the first track and the 5 last tracks the score isn't too fantastic. I'd rate it: ***½

Peter smile
  2. Apocalypto - James Horner

Great percussion passages and use of vocals in this score. Interesting how parts of it would be used for the music of the Na'Vi people in Avatar.
  3. NP: Malunai - Largo Winch 2 (Desplat)

I like the theme which is played here (which sounds like a mix between "Largo's childhood" theme, and Dumbledore's theme from Deathly Hallows) and also in Infiltration, Escape From The Camp, Love In The Water, Malunai's Death, Largo's Sorrow and Noom. Very Desplat-esque.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: UNDER FIRE (Jerry Goldsmith)

Simply put one of - if not THE - best album program JG has ever put together, and a beautiful score it is too! Even the synths (which I usually hate in JGs hands) don't grate so much in this one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: The Rock - Hans Zimmer, Nick Glennie-Smith, Harry Gregson-Williams, Don Harper & Crew

One of my all time favorite score to one of my all time favorite movie. The expanded version is great, loaded with sub themes and various arrangements, though it's still missing a few precious minutes. Perhaps that one day, LLL will release a complete version of this score and I'll be the first in line to get it.

I love the score, but I wouldn't want an expanded version. It is - after all - a very powerful, at times noisy score, and I can't take much more than the 50 minutes or so on the Hollywood release. But it's great while it lasts.

The expanded version doesn't just give you more action cues, it also have some of the quieter cues and expansion of the thematic cues. In essence, not just more noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    plindboe wrote
    Tropic thunder (Shapiro)

Considering that it's a comedy parodying other movies, the music is perfect. Scored seriously, which of course only makes the movie more fun. The score parodies several known tricks, for instance the wailing woman. There's also a Brian Tyler like anthemic theme, and the rest is more like MV/RC, especially Powell's Bourne scores and some electric guitar rock elements (à la MI:2). Besides the first track and the 5 last tracks the score isn't too fantastic. I'd rate it: ***½

Peter smile

It's like a cousin to Iron Man, especially in the action tracks.
  4. SOCOM 4 - BEAR MCCREARY

Two hours of this bore-fest is simply too much... I get a headache from the aimless and repetitive nature of the tracks, there's hardly any structure in the music. Sure there's a theme, but it's too simplistic to have exciting cues built around them. The percusive music sounds like a second-rate take on his BSG music, season 1 to be precise (which I don't like too much), but with an asian flavor to it. Anyway, I'm glad downloads exist so I can scratch this off of my to buy list.

Up next: L.A. NOIRE - ANDREW HALE

Now that is a true symphonic thematic score, with some Goldsmithian touches in the action music and groovy melodies. Looking forward to playing the game and hearing the music enhance the many scenes of detective work, chases and classic shootouts.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, loved the L.A.Noire score too. Breezy, smooth soothing, love it, i haven't heard such an easy-listening jazzy score since Terence Blanchard's "a requiem for katrina".

As for Bear McCreary, we have to admit that he knows a limited bag of tricks (at least showcased so far) and he gets tiring after a while, i can't listen to the whole cd at once, but for a 20-minute or so he's very enjoyable.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. L.A. Noire has a definite sense of cool about it. Andrew Hale (from Sade fame) has written some interesting cues that you normally never hear in a game score.

It pisses all over Socom 4 that's for sure. Limited bag of tricks, that's exactly it... smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. The single version of SOCOM 4 (digital download) seems to be enough then?

And L.A. Noire is a very enjoyable listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    I'm not sure if you will like it or not Alan, someone else here seemed to like it a lot. I personally have no desire to listen to Socom 4 again. I feel like having wasted two hours, lucky for me I was listening while working.
  7. I have SOCOM 4 but only a 60-minute version. It is okay. I was initially annoyed that I had this then the 2 CD version came out. Maybe it didn't work out too bad in the end?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for Bear McCreary, we have to admit that he knows a limited bag of tricks (at least showcased so far)

Hogwash! Human Target and The Cape refutes that.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Kung fu panda 2 (Zimmer & Powell)

Must admit that I can't hear much Zimmer in it; just sounds like a Powell score to me. In any case, it's a great score, but it hasn't quite gotten to me like the first score yet. My fist hungers for justice FTW

My rating: ****

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011
    The Chairman - Jerry G

This little-discussed score is very, very good; a Chinese-influenced action-packed gem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for Bear McCreary, we have to admit that he knows a limited bag of tricks (at least showcased so far)

-Erik-

Human Target is different, but still that different thing on constant loop. Very tiring.

I haven't heard the cape yet. How is it like?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    SOCOM 4 - BEAR MCCREARY

Two hours of this bore-fest is simply too much... I get a headache from the aimless and repetitive nature of the tracks, there's hardly any structure in the music. Sure there's a theme, but it's too simplistic to have exciting cues built around them. The percusive music sounds like a second-rate take on his BSG music, season 1 to be precise (which I don't like too much), but with an asian flavor to it. Anyway, I'm glad downloads exist so I can scratch this off of my to buy list.

I thought the same as you at first listen. I got the "here we go again" mind set and dismissed it.
    Then when I received the official CD set, read the liner notes and gave it my full attention I somehow decided to embrace the familiar style and instrumentation and appreciate the south eastern elements too.
    Yes it can sound like a noise-fest if played in the background while being busy thus dismissing it as a "bore-fest". I would be guilty of thinking the same way. But this particular score is actually very rich with many "seemingly subtle" musical ideas woven throughout its tapestry.
    But yes, it's not necessarily an easy, feel-good listen for the most part. I understand that.
    "The percussive music sounds like a second-rate take on his BSG music, season 1 to be precise" is the polar opposite to my thoughts on the percussion used here. It has a vast array of amazing drum styles that's as good as any season of BSG if not bigger and broader this time!
    I must admit I am surprised to be singing the praises of this score as I really didn't like it when I first heard it.
    I gave it a solid chance which for me, has paid off.
    Having said all that, I do hope to hear less taikos in Bear's future projects. They are there in Human Target and The Cape but pulled back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Human Target is different, but still that different thing on constant loop. Very tiring.

I haven't heard the cape yet. How is it like?

I don't know what album you are listening to, D, but La La Land's 3CD set of Human Target Season 1 is remarkable and diverse. The sound is fresh and most definitely something different from the pen of McCreary.

As for The Cape... it's a traditional super hero score. Great stuff!

McCreary most definitely doesn't have a limited bag of tricks.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The 3CD set of Human Target is a fun ride indeed! Just listened to it again yesterday and there really is a lot going on there musically. Love it! I look forward to The Cape when that gets released.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Chairman - Jerry G

This little-discussed score is very, very good; a Chinese-influenced action-packed gem.

Agree! Superb theme too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Point of No Return - Hans Zimmer

punk
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote

punk

Fantastic score!! Wish I had it on CD.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

punk

Fantastic score!! Wish I had it on CD.

This might seem a bit nit-picky but I wish the score had a few more minutes of the lighter-romantic material later in the album first heard in "Happy Birthday, Maggie".
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Enjoying myself too much and ain't got time to be bothered with half-baked nancy scores so ONLY the best will suffice this fine Saturday afternoon...

NP : STAR WARS - John Williams

nuff said! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer
  8. Come on, Erik. Not like you to hold back! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ultimate class is ultimate class and must be recognised and worshiped wink punk

I didn't post it earlier because I was too busy enjoying but I played THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK straight after Star Wars. cool