• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011
    Good man Kevin beer I think it's a wonderful score, very original and perhaps a tad underrated?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. My recollection on Dune is a bit hazy at the moment, but I think the theme I remember most from the film wasn't written by Toto.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Good man Kevin beer I think it's a wonderful score, very original and perhaps a tad underrated?

Underrated, maybe. I think with a more experienced composer it could have been outstanding (the battle music is a bit weak). The expanded album is a tad too long (but hey, it could be worse). I think there's an excellent album representation about 40-45 minutes long using the extended album material. I would give it four stars for having a great main theme and at least half a dozen highlight cues.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, I totally agree, the battle music is very weak but that theme is excellent and the mystical elements such as Paul's theme are superb too.

And yeah, a deserving 4 star score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    Timmer wrote
    Yes, I totally agree, the battle music is very weak but that theme is excellent and the mystical elements such as Paul's theme are superb too.

I would have really wanted the film version of the end credits.

And maybe an expanded version of Take My Hand (the orchestral 1 minute version is just too short).

In 'Final Dream' as the orchestral/choir grow to the climax, was that french horn fallout intentional?
    U-571 - Richard Marvin

Good score with a enjoyable main theme (not THAT close to Air Force One really). In 'Quiet Theme/End Credits 2', it's funny how people don't talk how much of a rip it is from Legends of the Fall. The thing to liking this score is if you don't mind a few noticeable influences here and there (Goldsmith, Horner, Silvestri).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote

And maybe an expanded version of Take My Hand (the orchestral 1 minute version is just too short).

In 'Final Dream' as the orchestral/choir grow to the climax, was that french horn fallout intentional?

It's been a long time since I've seen the film, I didn't know the end credits were different ( the film, IMO, isn't bad either ).

I'll have to take a listen to 'Final Dream', Perhaps the "fallout" coincides with the scene in the film?
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's been a long time since I've seen the film, I didn't know the end credits were different ( the film, IMO, isn't bad either ).

I'll have to take a listen to 'Final Dream', Perhaps the "fallout" coincides with the scene in the film?

Perhaps but since the scene was never in the film (either version), we'll never know.

Dune, what a movie...

The special effects were terrible, the acting's laughable, the story was slow, Sting's in it for no apparent reason (suddenly, I was like oh my god, that's Sting), a rock band did the music, the worms look like penises, the ending was weird with the thunderstorm and new age soft rock over the end credits. It was a stinking pile of crap.

My conclusion:

Man, I loved that movie.

It's more of a story being told on film, rather than a movie. It's not 2 hours of brain candy like Krull or the other sci-fi films around that time. It's brain food. This movie was made when they didn't think that LOTR could be a live action film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some of the special effects lookl great ( please remember it's been a long time since I've seen it ) but they look really ropey in many scenes and I'm sure I've read that the film ran into money problems and David Lynch removed his name from the credits, still, a great cast, great sets and costumes and any film that kills Sting is fine by me wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2011 edited
    NP:Tree of Life (desplat)

Finishing my fourth listening.

It's a really interesting listening. I love specially the tracks : "circles" and "skies". the most atmospheric cues I find they creates some creepy sound too.

the only thing annoys me is the typical Desplat "piano valts" in some cues.

It's a 4 stars score in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2011
    NP: Kung Fu Panda 2 - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

Big entertainment value in this one but it's missing something. I had a much more emotional journey with the first score. Then again this is my first listen and I know I'll be revisiting this one soon...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Priest~ Christopher Young

OH. MY. GOD! First listen. I can't breath and it's not the asthma! A combination of lyricism and darkness that is amazing!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Very well described Stavi! It's great stuff indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Kung Fu Panda 2 - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

Big entertainment value in this one but it's missing something. I had a much more emotional journey with the first score. Then again this is my first listen and I know I'll be revisiting this one soon...

-Erik-

The same happened with Anthony and me.

Anyway, it's growing on me. you can investigate much more into his more "complex" tracks. more than in the first score. Shen's theme grows on every listen.

Kung Fu Panda 1 was a easiest listening, and it tells a story , a journey better. But the action stuff here, really rocks and with some editing you have a really GREAT album. I "deleted" from my playlist : Dumpling warrior, inner peace, daddy isues, gongmen jail and po and shen_face to face (this last one, depends of my mood :P)

You have "Sacreed pool of tears" deconstructed in "save kung fu" and " po finds the truth"

NP: Did anyone notice the little kazoos sound?
    NP2: the last minute of "my fist hungers..." .aside to sound a little bit to Horton and How to traing your dragon, have some "jablonsky" orchestrations, right?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WILLOW - James Horner

Magic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP2: the last minute of "my fist hungers..." .aside to sound a little bit to Horton and How to traing your dragon, have some "jablonsky" orchestrations, right?

You know how this guys are.....'you help me, I help you....'. cool
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011 edited
    NP: KRULL - JAMES HORNER

Magnificent.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011
    LSH wrote
    NP: KRULL - JAMES HORNER

Magnificent.

cool

This score is not played enough around these here parts punk
    My Life - John Barry

A thoughtful drama score (although it doesn't sound that different from anything else Barry wrote in the 1990s. I think the big thing here that the main theme is not the big attraction (although the best presentation is in 'End Title'), it's really just average or above average. The attraction is in the underscore is always introspective and celebratory, mostly on strings/piano/woodwinds. The album is a bit repetitive, even if it's less than 40 minutes long. The jazz piano in "Child's Play" is a wonderful break and the four last cues really cement the rating of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I Am Number Four - Trev Rabin

Sounds a bit like the work of an enthusiastic amateur.
  2. Southall wrote

really? I think it has some of his more mature moments, some tracks at least. The theme's likeable too, and it has an amazing powell moment (for about a minute at least)

3 stars though
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOFFA - David Newman

Good stuff!
  3. NP: Tree of Life (Desplat), and before The Pianotuner of Earthquakes (Slaski/Duncan)

Two pretty 'out there' scores, but both with sterling highlights. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011
    Band of Brothers - Michael Kamen

One from the heart. Beautiful music.
    Inception - Hans Zimmer

One of the more intriguing scores that Hans has wrote. Its atmospheric constructs fix the philosophical parts of the story perfectly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011 edited
    Socom 4 - Bear McCreary

Taking this journey through the 2 CD set has been a rewarding and surprising experience.
    When I first heard samples a few weeks ago I found it to be too much of a Battlestar, taiko drum rehash.
    I love Bear's Battlestar scores but I really like him when he ventures away from his taiko heavy stlye.
    But I purchased this score anyway and gave it a good listen.
    I let myself get over the fact that it's a close, Asian sounding cousin of Battlestar and entered into the spirit of the work. I'm glad I did. Yes it has the usual instruments including a vast aray of pecussion much like BSG (but bigger). But there's something more about this score. The complexity of the composition, orchestration and performance of this score is very good indeed. Bear is always surprising me with the volume and level of quality music he puts out for games and television. You do need to be in the right mood for this score but it's one that I'll be returning to many times I'm sure! Well done angain Bear!
  4. What I am listening to at the moment is the subject of a superinjunction and I am not at liberty to discuss.

I erred, was weak and played this behind the back of my family. Even though I did this of my own free will, I don't think it should be made public as it could affect my squeaky clean reputation and any sponsorship deals (current or upcoming).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    applause

I gaggled. biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Southall wrote

i think that's a little bit unfair. the score has two memorable themes (in rabin style) and the orchestration is also good, for the most part. VI to the rescue, Hit me with your lumen and Commander Mog explodes have some kick ass action moments. Getting to know sarah is a wonderful emotional track, maybe simple but with lovely melodies. i would give this score 3,5 stars.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    What I am listening to at the moment is the subject of a superinjunction and I am not at liberty to discuss.

I erred, was weak and played this behind the back of my family. Even though I did this of my own free will, I don't think it should be made public as it could affect my squeaky clean reputation and any sponsorship deals (current or upcoming).

Fess' up Alan, Gigging....sorry, Gagging orders won't work around here.

Twitter ye not. wink