• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    NP: Kung Fu Panda 2 - John Powell & Hans Zimmer

Much louder than the first. I really like "Stealth Mode".

The action stuff is much more energic, complex and heroic. It's a much more action packed score.

I find the first one better devoloped and presented. But this second score is richer and more complex.

It doesn't have "hero", "sacreed pool of tears" or "oogsway ascends", but it has the fucking amazin "zen ball master"!

Agreed.

Do you agree that is not a so fluid album than the first one?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011 edited
    It doesn't tell a story as good albums should. It's just a lot of loud (but enjoyable) action music.

I imagine it plays quite well amongst cues from the first film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    It doesn't tell a story as good albums should. It's just a lot of loud (but enjoyable) action music.

I completly agree. the first album told a story. And yes, this is just a couple of energic action cues. And the "epic" stuff is too disjointed. Anyway, it's great smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    TREE OF LIFE | alexandre desplat

It's the first half of the album that is having the most impact on me. There's some really beautiful tracks., but there's a hint of unease through them. I absolutely love River and Awakening, and also the piano in the opening piece. Attractive music and relaxing.

Light and Darkness and City of Glass are indeed part of the 'De Battre mon Coeur' family, with the piano twinkling and silences. There are the familiar tones from Syriana as well in Emergency of Life. A pity the album looses my interest somewhere (I don't really know where) near the end...

No dinosaur music though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Kung Fu Panda 2

I'm playing Kung Fu Panda 2 but there is no link on youtube sad . It's much more action oriented than the first score. But it doesn't tell a story like the first one did. I think the KFP1 album was better devoloped, constructed and balanced. Anyway, the action pieces from this sequel are much more energic and heroic: "Zen Ball master", "Rickshaw Chase" or "more cannons!" are TERRIFIC. Sadly " save kung fu" and " po finds the truth" are not " Dragon rises" or "sacred pool of tears " (Even if they reprise some minutes from them)
    but...Zimmer and Powell did an amazing and coherent score again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PLANET OF THE APES (Jerry Goldsmith)

Weirdness.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Miya wrote
    NP: Shining Boy & Little Randy - Ryuichi Sakamoto

It starts with a charming toy piano piece, and ends with two gorgeous suite tracks.
    The main theme is really beautiful, played by tin whistle and piano.
    A bit of Asian flavor, including samples of traditional music, is also nice!
    (The movie is about a boy & an elephant in Thailand)

I especially played the last two tracks many times since I got this score. Very recommended! smile

Never heard of this before, but it sounds really nice, thank you for mentioning it! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    The Right Stuff - Bill Conti

Even through all of its temp track classical influences, this score still shines.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thoughts on recent scores...

Water for Elephants: As others have mentioned, the temp track love is really bad here, way too much Newman and Desplat and not enough of Howard's own voice. Given Howard's track record of scores involving "water" its really rather disappointing. There are plenty of nice bits that I'm sure will grow on me, but it seems to lack the stylistic coherency that I expect from a JNH score.

La Ligne Droite: My favorite of the year so far, I love these kind of rolling, rhythmic drama scores like Navarette's "Cracks" and Soderqvist's "Effi Briest" among many others, but Doyle expands and perfects the concept. I didn't imagine it was possible to squeeze so much hopeful energy out of such simple musical concepts but Doyle has done it here!

Rango - has the best traditional long-form theme I've heard this year, Zimmer has lots of fun taking it through its paces. If you get rid of the obnoxious extra material its makes an enjoyable, zippy 25 minute album.

Fast Five - Nothing unexpected but the sound quality is a bit solider than some other recent Tyler scores and the album, though overlong, is arranged more consistently than some of his others. The action music is stronger than the last Fast & Furious, but there don't seem to be any emotional drama tracks on the level of "Suite" from that score.

Pushing Daisies Season 2 - Lacking the drama and energy of the first score, includes some occasionally interesting developments of themes from the first one but that's about it.

Ironclad and The Eagle are surprisingly richly textured and intelligently orchestrated given who the composers are. They are both powerful in a raw, archaic-sounding way, in the same feeling that Shore went for with Lord of the Rings even if nowhere on the same level of complexity. Your Highness on the other hand is utterly stereotypical, musically-anachronistic RC stuff, like listening to a candy bar. Or trailer music.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote

Even through all of its temp track classical influences, this score still shines.

Yes, it's very "present" in the film. I've had the ol' Varese release forever, the one that's in combo with NORTH & SOUTH (which was the real reason why I picked it up in the first place).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Yes, it's very "present" in the film. I've had the ol' Varese release forever, the one that's in combo with NORTH & SOUTH (which was the real reason why I picked it up in the first place).

One of the finest re-recordings of all time! Brilliant album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Not too loud for you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Tree of Life - Alexandre Desplat

First listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

By the way...Did you like the action tracks form the first panda score? "the bridge" for example? i think they are powerful, but it lacks something..somthing that they found in this sequel.
  1. MOH: EUROPEAN ASSAULT BONUS CUES (DISC 8)

Well I must say this has some interesting music, the choral russian theme is quite memorable and a nice change from the usual blend of good but not great action music. Overall an enjoyable disc in itself and it shows Lennertz as a composer who uses the various themes to good effect. In a way I enjoy these bonus cues more than the 30 minute score itself, seeing some cues are repeated here as alternates.

I can't decide if I should get this box or not... sad Having the Giacchino's already and loving those makes me sit on the fence.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Not too loud for you?

tongue
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

By the way...Did you like the action tracks form the first panda score? "the bridge" for example? i think they are powerful, but it lacks something..somthing that they found in this sequel.

They lack any sense of danger! They are wickedly exciting but they were the wrong tone for the film especially "Tai Lung Escapes." But I am looking for to this second score very much!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

They lack any sense of danger! They are wickedly exciting but they were the wrong tone for the film especially "Tai Lung Escapes." But I am looking for to this second score very much!

-Erik-

Yeap. I'm 90% sure "tai Lunk escapes" is by Zimmer. it's his typical Horn evil motive over electronic rythms to hide his lack of orchestral composition.

The same goes for "the bridge" wich seems too dark, very Peacemaker-ish.
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

You sir are right, although I think "Yaeger's Triumph (the final cue) has its best performance done by Kunzel & the Cincinnati Pops on Star Tracks II.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

I would temper my expectations a little if I were you! It's OK... but don't expect a masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

It is.

Magnificent though the music is, I rather regret picking up the box sets Varese did of North and South. I don't think I've made my way through all of the first one yet and the second is still unopened. The half hour on that disc is possibly all I really needed. (I wonder also whether I really needed to buy The Right Stuff - the re-recording is so fine.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Not too loud for you?

Not really. It has more SWEEP and melody than busy action adventure stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

I would temper my expectations a little if I were you! It's OK... but don't expect a masterpiece.

It's not as good album as the first was. But the action stuff is AMAZING.

Anyone notice How to train your Dragon motive in the final track?
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

It is.

Magnificent though the music is, I rather regret picking up the box sets Varese did of North and South. I don't think I've made my way through all of the first one yet and the second is still unopened. The half hour on that disc is possibly all I really needed. (I wonder also whether I really needed to buy The Right Stuff - the re-recording is so fine.)

I'll buy it off of you. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Priest (Chris Young)

omg

Young is THE composer when it comes to dark, aggressive, bold, epic scores. The way he writes for choir and orchestra is unique. I've been thinking which cue to emphasize, but I can't, the whole work is perfect. One of the scores of the year so far.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

Roger Fiegelson wrote the following on the Intrada board concerning Book II.

For decades I dreamed of having these multi-disc sets to both miniseries, but as with part 1, the score really can be assembled down to a very listenable single disc. Given the monumental about of music Conti was required to deliver, it's no surprise that he relied and recycled a lot of music from the first part. So in theory you'd think you'd need a multi-disc set, but in practice you don't. At least not from an artistic standpoint. In fact I found it a chore to listen to unedited and frankly not that enjoyable. I finally made my way through Disc 2 and for your convenience, here is a solid single disc program:

1. Main Title (02:39)
    2. Here's Gussie (01:55)
    3. The War Awaits (03:00)
    4. Charles And Augusta (01:11)
    5. Justin Gets Madeline (01:49)
    6. Barn Burner (01:24)
    7. Bent's Secret (01:26)
    8. Portent Of The Future (05:29)
    9. The War Is On (02:45)
    10. The Back Roads (02:32)
    11. Orry To The Rescue (03:46)
    12. Ashton Meets Bent (03:16)
    13. The Wedding (04:07)
    14. Orry Meets George (01:31)
    15. Charles Chase (01:04)
    16. Getting Better (01:13)
    17. I'll Leave Tomorrow (02:31)
    18. Emancipation (01:21)
    19. Supply Train Attack (02:18)
    20. Billy's Welcome (00:57)
    21. Ashton's Retreat (01:46)
    22. Ambush Hurry (01:27)
    23. Chase And Gus (01:59)
    24. The Turning Point (00:59)
    25. Michael (01:22)
    26. Rafe Bodine (01:24)
    27. Wish You Well (02:52)
    28. I'll Undress Here (01:18)
    29. I Can Count On You (03:48)
    30. Ezra's Wheel (01:25)
    31. It's Too Late (02:07)
    32. Good Old Fiske (01:00)
    33. Tom's Hit (01:33)
    34. Billy's Home (01:53)
    35. The Price Has Been Paid (01:24)
    36. George Finds Orry (01:57)
    37. Attack On Mt. Royal (01:24)
    38. Walk to the Future (1:34)
    39. End Credits (00:57)

Oh... and here is his edit for Book I

Main Title 3:39
    Eggs Ashton 1:15
    Orry's Odyssey 3:02
    Orry Meets George 1:35
    Spilled Coffee 0:42
    A Letter From Orry 1:32
    En Garde, Bent 2:04
    Icebound Bent 1:52
    Hazard Iron 0:39
    Churabusco 1:16
    Churabusco Bridge 2:01
    Constance 3:31
    Morning Train 3:33
    Virgilia's Speech 0:58
    Madeline and Orry 4:28
    The Blast 1:54
    Charles Meets Salem 1:23
    A Good Slave 2:09
    Hello Huntoon :52
    Virgilia's Venom 0:56
    Billy and Brett 2:25
    Shamed Secret 3:13
    Laudenum Lament 1:26
    Trip to Harper's Ferry 2:52
    Grady Gets His Freedom 4:36
    Return to Mont Royal 0:37
    Laudenum Fog 3:07
    Madeline Gets Justin 2:08
    Perilous Honeymoon 2:38
    Billy's Duel 3:24
    I'll Take Care 1:45
    Virgilia's Things 1:44
    Friends Farewell 2:41
    End Credits 1:27

You might want to give that a shot!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Right Stuff / North and South - Bill Conti
    The London Symphony Orchestra

Probably the finest sounding orchestral album I have in my collection. Those brass bursts, cymbal crashes and smooth strings. The orchestra comes alive! And it's so perfectly balanced! Pat yourself on the back, Eric Tomlinson. SCOREGASM!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE LAST RUN / WILD ROVERS (Jerry Goldsmith)

The first is one of my alltime favourite JG scores, the second is OK. Just adore that baroque jazz melancholy!
    I am extremely serious.
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Right Stuff / North and South - Bill Conti
    The London Symphony Orchestra

Probably the finest sounding orchestral album I have in my collection. Those brass bursts, cymbal crashes and smooth strings. The orchestra comes alive! And it's so perfectly balanced! Pat yourself on the back, Eric Tomlinson. SCOREGASM!

-Erik-

Is it just me or have I heard the Williams esque string rhythms in 'Almost Ready' in an actual Williams score before?