• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Gun - Christopher Lennertz

Listening to some selection from this at the moment. And I have to say that "Deadly Cargo and Hollister's Ambush" is one of my favourite Lennertz track. This needs an official release from someone like La-La Land Records.

What version do you have? Mine doesn't have any track by that name.

Could be a game rip...? The version I got from Lennertz has 19 tracks.

-Erik-

How long is it? Mine is 30 tracks 1 hour 2 mins.

I've just checked my version. It must be a game rip: 47 tracks 115 minutes of music. This is the track I was meaning.

I created my own version of it, and totally made up tracktitles when I listened to the tracks
    I like it, if I may say so smile

1. A Gloomy Opening (4.34)
    2. Danger Lurks Around Every Corner (2.41)
    3. Games Are For Texans (4.11)
    4. Horse Race (5.37)
    5. A Round Up (4.27)
    6. Street Victory (5.09)
    7. Planning Our Move (2.30)
    8. Setting The Trap (4.16)
    9. Waiting For Something To Come (4.53)
    10. A Standoff Worthy Of Heroes (5.28)
    11. Father, I Have Avenged You (4.26)
    12. End Credits (4.18)
    Total Length: 52.57
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. With so many versions floating around and with you making up track titles how can we possibly know what you are listening to?! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    With so many versions floating around and with you making up track titles how can we possibly know what you are listening to?! wink

I trust the source I downloaded it from smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011
    Water For Elephants - JNH

This has grown on me a bit. But it's unbelievably, directly derivative of so many other film composers. Surely Howard should be above that sort of thing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Aside from the Desplat which everyone focused on at first, there are equally-blatant bits of Thomas Newman and James Horner. Maybe others too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LORD OF THE RINGS: FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (Howard Shore)

Love the mellow bits, struggle a bit with the epic action stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011
    The Lion in Winter - Richard Hartley

A nice symphonic score, doesn't really hold a candle to John Barry's version, but still decent in its own way.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Southall wrote
    Aside from the Desplat which everyone focused on at first, there are equally-blatant bits of Thomas Newman and James Horner. Maybe others too.

I don't think Thomas Newman invented the piano style from "American Beauty". I'm pretty sure it was done in the past. I love that piano, I think it's effective and I don't mind when it's used by other composers as long as the melodies are different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Priest - Christopher Young

I don't like horror music so I don't care about cues like I Have Sinned, Sacrosanct Delirium, but I like very much cues like Priest, Cathedral City Blue and A World Without End.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011 edited
    NP: Mr. Holland's Opus - Michael Kamen

One of the finest film scores Kamen ever wrote. Full of melody, heart and emotion. He did everything right with this one. Simply brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011 edited
    NP Infernal Affairs II (Chan Kwong Wing)

The best of the trilogy (as is the film, IMO). Really moving cues like 'Cry', 'Forgive and Forget', 'Black Hawk' or '1997' are worth the listening experience. The sequences these particular cues score are so touching and sad.

Overall, the score is a winner.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    A River Runs Through It - Mark Isham

I could do without the frequent source music. The actual score is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Music of James Horner - Silva Screen

Hmm. Some of the performances on this are a reminder of the bad old days of the Prague orchestra (including, sadly, some of the new recordings).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Michel Legrand

Brilliant! I really love Conti's version too but this, IMO, can't be beat.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011 edited
    NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

Brilliant action score with a fabulous recording and mix by Shawn Murphy! And I absolutely love listening to whomever it is beating the piss out of the drum in the left channel on "Visitor in San Diego!"

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Listening to the unreleased stuff on the Pirates Of The Caribbean: Soundtrack Treasures Collection thingy.

The "Marry me" suite is of course wonderful, but I also really worship the "The heart of Davy Jones" piece. It's way superior to the one on the official release. While the official one was cool, this version is much sadder.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011
    WP First Knight (Jerry Goldsmith) - LaLaLand Release

Fantastic. Just fantastic music.

Am I being too pessimistic if i say we won't be hearing this kind of music anymore? I mean, there are very good, great composers over there.....but none with Goldsmith's magic touch.

NP Soul Surfer (Marco Beltrami)

Now here's a reson to be optimistic. What a great surprise. Can't get the main theme out of my head.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011 edited
    NP: Bourne Supremacy - John Powell

I often play this while cooking... because I can hear it even in my noisy kitchen! biggrin
    I have other 2 Bourne scores but this is the best.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: La Piste - Armand Amar

Beautiful, calm, emotional, meditative music. Armand Amar is one of my favorite composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Marselus wrote

Am I being too pessimistic if i say we won't be hearing this kind of music anymore? I mean, there are very good, great composers over there.....but none with Goldsmith's magic touch.

You are quite right Marselus. We may hear fine, good quality music but not of the caliber of the master.
    Let's face it, there will never be another Jerry Goldsmith!
  4. Marselus wrote

I've been saying this for quite a while now. Which means that even the weaker works of Goldsmith, Poledouris, Bernstein and so many others still beat most of today's better works. There will always be exceptions, and there will always be great composers coming out, but I doubt most of them of them will ever create the same legendary material that these late composers have given us throughout their career.

One great work doesn't make a great career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Millenium Celebration (Reflections of Earth, Tapestry of Nations, two songs) - Gavin Greenway

If I could get into a Powell recording session, I would shout out to the conductor: Stop conducting and write your own music!!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote
    NP: Bourne Supremacy - John Powell

I often play this while cooking... because I can hear it even in my noisy kitchen! biggrin
    I have other 2 Bourne scores but this is the best.

Agreed!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

The far weaker brother of BARBARIAN but if this was written NOW I'd be raving about it as the years best score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    IT The Terror From Beyond Space, a new release from MMM.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : OCTOPUSSY - John Barry

IMO this is Barry's weakest Bond score, still, it does have it's moments and frankly, no one scores Bond better than John Barry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Agree on all counts! My least favourite Barry Bond score... but I would take it over any of the non-Barry ones, any day.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

For me, The ultimate Bond score punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

It's not his best score for an M. Night Shyamalan movie but it's very enjoyable! Flow Like Water is stunning!

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Casper - James Horner

Enjoyable though this is, there's just something odd about it. The themes are wonderful, but parts of the score are so un-Horner-like, I wonder if someone else did it on his behalf.