• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011
    The Promise - Klaus Badelt

One of his best scores.

Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer

One of his best scores (better than the similarly styled and later Broken Arrow and The Peacemaker).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  1. Sulla Riva del Mare (On the Seashore) - Pompei (Marco Frisina)

I love how Frisina used the female soloist in this cue, like a lament, especially when she performs two of the main themes of the score.
  2. Southall wrote
    Casper - James Horner

Enjoyable though this is, there's just something odd about it. The themes are wonderful, but parts of the score are so un-Horner-like, I wonder if someone else did it on his behalf.

Or maybe he genuinely tried to write something new just to challenge himself and the listener. It could happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote
    Casper - James Horner

Enjoyable though this is, there's just something odd about it. The themes are wonderful, but parts of the score are so un-Horner-like, I wonder if someone else did it on his behalf.

Or maybe he genuinely tried to write something new just to challenge himself and the listener. It could happen.

Has a definite Elfman vibe, yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Miya wrote
    NP: Millenium Celebration (Reflections of Earth, Tapestry of Nations, two songs) - Gavin Greenway

If I could get into a Powell recording session, I would shout out to the conductor: Stop conducting and write your own music!!

QFT!!!! Gavin is one of those heavily underutilized composer. Distinctive writing style that leans far toward the classical side while deftly incorporating standard MV/RC musical tropes. His recent compositions for the Winter Olympic in Canada was excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Finally rated all my Two Steps From Hell tracks in itunes. There are 161 tracks that I've rated at least 3 stars. What headbanging bliss it is to listen to these on shuffle.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    lp wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Millenium Celebration (Reflections of Earth, Tapestry of Nations, two songs) - Gavin Greenway

If I could get into a Powell recording session, I would shout out to the conductor: Stop conducting and write your own music!!

QFT!!!! Gavin is one of those heavily underutilized composer. Distinctive writing style that leans far toward the classical side while deftly incorporating standard MV/RC musical tropes. His recent compositions for the Winter Olympic in Canada was excellent.

Agree totally. His theme for B.U.G.S. is one of my favourite TV themes of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sow9_3ujDFw
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (Howard Shore)

I've been going through all three soundtracks lately (the regular versions, of course), and this is my favourite.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    NP: LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING (Howard Shore)

I've been going through all three soundtracks lately (the regular versions, of course), and this is my favourite.

Mine too (by far, in fact).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Miya wrote

Would love to hear that! As I've said on a few occasions, I think Reflections of Earth is the best thing that's ever come out of MV/RC.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DARK CRYSTAL - Trevor Jones

One of the greatest fantasy scores ever written and by far Jones's best score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Camelot - Danna and Danna

Hmm... excellent!
  3. Southall wrote
    Camelot - Danna and Danna

Hmm... excellent!

Agree!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE DARK CRYSTAL - Trevor Jones

One of the greatest fantasy scores ever written and by far Jones's best score!

It's good but for me the best Trevor Jones' score is Merlin.

NP: The Happening - James Newton Howard
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cristian wrote

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011 edited
    NP: The Sword and the Sorcerer - [i]David Whitaker[/b]

Written during one of the greatest years for film music - 1982 - this one doesn't quite match the brilliance of The Beastmaster and Conan but it's full of jaunty themes and colorful orchestrations. Some of it feels a bit childish (has an Army of Darkness vibe to it) especially when you see how adult the film's subject matter is... but it's a lot of fun even though the recording leaves a lot to be desired.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Piano Ramblings - Kevin Smith

I'm recording myself on the piano with a very bad microphone.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Beastmaster - Lee Holdridge

Magnificent!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Spy Who Loved Me - Marv

I hated this when I first heard it, back in the day, but it's probably my favourite non-Barry Bond score now.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cristian wrote

yeah

Yer kiddin' right?

oh, actually you're not, we've been here before tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sorry I've been away from the board for an hour or two... for some reason I fell into a deep sleep once Cristian mentioned Merlin.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

I hated this when I first heard it, back in the day, but it's probably my favourite non-Barry Bond score now.

It's great! There's a lot of really good scoring never released, watching the film again recently made me realise that in actual fact, this score is the closest anyone gets to the Barry feel and some of the cues not included on the album are totally Barryesque.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

It's great! There's a lot of really good scoring never released, watching the film again recently made me realise that in actual fact, this score is the closest anyone gets to the Barry feel and some of the cues not included on the album are totally Barryesque.

I watched the film yesterday! (The best of the Moore films, I think). You're right - there's some stuff in there which actually sounds like it could easily have been written by Barry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Beastmaster 2: Through The Portal of Time - Robert Folk

One of my all time favorite fantasy adventures scores featuring one of the greatest hero themes of all time!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

It's not bad, but my favourite Bonds (outside the Arnolds) are those by Kamen and Martin.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cristian wrote

yeah

yeah
  4. Southall wrote
    Sorry I've been away from the board for an hour or two... for some reason I fell into a deep sleep once Cristian mentioned Merlin.

Ha! I remember once furiously insisting otherwise.

Then I got involved in a traffic accident because I'd lost consciousness. And I believe the last thing playing was Jones' MERLIN. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011 edited
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

It's not bad, but my favourite Bonds (outside the Arnolds) are those by Kamen and Martin.

^
    Don't worry Michael, at least your traffic accident didn't cause a serious lapse in musical taste wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011
    Age of Heroes - Michael Plowman

Well, MovieScore Media continues to surprise me... I never expected to hear a score like this released by Mikael! It's very enjoyable, mind... but as "Remote Control-ish" as you can get. (Old school, though - Rabin or Mancina in their rare moments of quality rather than the modern Jablonsky/Djawadi crap.)