• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    FAREWELL TO THE KING - BASIL POLEDOURIS

Not a classic in my book, but very good all the same. I can see why Tim likes this one so much, it's like Barry himself wrote the splendid main theme. It has a couple of great cues, but overall it's not something I would rate over Poledouris' more rousing stuff, such Conan, Robocop or Starship Troopers.

I wouldn't put it in the league of the three scores you mention either but you're right that it's a Basil favourite of mine.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE MANCINI PROJECT (Henry Mancini)

Fan-made 2CD set that includes the greatest hits on CD 1 and some of the more dramatic, lesser known material on CD 2 (in suites). Awesome set, although I obviously don't like everything.

If it's made by the person I'm thinking of ( over at FSM ) then it's a fantastic 2CD set, far better than any Mancini compilation available publicly and lovingly packaged together too.

Yup, same set. Dana Wilcox, if memory serves.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Priest - Christopher Young

I love the portentous feel of the first track and the ostinato underneath. Definitely a Chris Young score but with hints of Beltrami (choir) and some Zimmer (ala Inception). Plus an organ thrown in too - all in the first 3 minutes.

Great first track (hope it's not another Ghost Rider!! wink )
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011 edited
    The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

For all of the negative comments you could make about this score, it's well orchestrated and makes the significant events known to the listener. While mostly theme-less (in a dominating way), the eventual main theme is a treat to hear (the one opening in Closing Credits).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Priest - Christopher Young

I love the portentous feel of the first track and the ostinato underneath. Definitely a Chris Young score but with hints of Beltrami (choir) and some Zimmer (ala Inception). Plus an organ thrown in too - all in the first 3 minutes.

Great first track (hope it's not another Ghost Rider!! wink )

Loving the 3rd track in Priest also!! Great pounding march at the start of "I Have Sinned".

I can't recall whether I've turned down the volume or not but it's a bit on the quiet side. I may have to crank up the volume on the rest of this one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Only 5 tracks in but I think that Priest may be my favourite 2011 score so far! I'm thinking Young back at his best.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmmm?! lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Hmmmmm?! lick

And I'm hearing some innovative stuff in tracks such as "Sacrosanct Delerium" - sounds (in terms of use of instruments together, rhythms, etc) I've not really heard before.

I really need to do some work but I may have to listen to this all first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    tree of life (Desplat)

I don't hear much of Zimmer nor "the beat my heart skipped" in there. More and more minimalism, in the vein of John Adams yes, indeed. Tough score, this movie is going to be very tricky i suspect, as it's almost the case with all of Mallick's movies. Let's see if he ever surpasses himself on THE THIN RED LINE.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    I don't hear much of Zimmer nor "the beat my heart skipped" in there.

It never hits the climactic sound of 'beat my heart skipped', but most of the rest of 'beat' appears in some form or another here.
    Play 'city of glass' (or indeed 'childhood' or 'good vs evil'), then play the first three minutes of 'the beat my heart skipped suite'. If you don't hear the connections, I'd be amazed.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: HENRY V (Patrick Doyle)

Hmm....my interest in this has really waned. It's a tiresome listen, with lots of bombast and intense "chord stop" effects, my least favourite aspect of Doyle's sound. On the sales list it goes!

shocked crazy shocked crazy shocked crazy shocked crazy

IT IS DOYLE AT HIS FINEST !!!!

wink

If it helps, I really like "Non Nobis Domine".

Well okay then, you are forgiven.

For now. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't hear much of Zimmer nor "the beat my heart skipped" in there.

It never hits the climactic sound of 'beat my heart skipped', but most of the rest of 'beat' appears in some form or another here.
    Play 'city of glass' (or indeed 'childhood' or 'good vs evil'), then play the first three minutes of 'the beat my heart skipped suite'. If you don't hear the connections, I'd be amazed.

Truth to be told, i haven't listened to it that closely yet, thanks for the heads up, i'll listen to those more carefully.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. THE KARATE KID - JAMES HORNER

One of his more enjoyable of recent years. I'm really liking it, especially for how it works in the film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: La Ligne Droite - Patrick Doyle
    I can't decide whether this or The Great Miracle is my favorite 2011 score. Doyle achieves here the flowing energy of James Newton Howard at his finest, while maintaining his own refined, uplifting voice.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE KARATE KID - JAMES HORNER

One of his more enjoyable of recent years. I'm really liking it, especially for how it works in the film.

smile

The final cue is one of Horner's best of the decade.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Poltergeist II - Jerry Goldsmith

A very interesting score, so completely different from the first one. It is probably Goldsmith's most spiritual score, so much beauty in those moments, then there's the Omen-style chanting occasionally and the big theme. So well-done, all of it. Having said that - haters of Goldsmith's synths need not bother with it.
  8. I honestly don't like Poltergeist II, it has never done anything for me besides take up a good hour of my time, where I could've listened to something far better, like Poltergeist.
  9. ALIENS - JAMES HORNER

Going through the extra supplements of the blu-ray set and hearing the music in the background made me want to listen to the real deal. Though there were other scores that had a hand in my love for film scores, I don't know where I would be if something like Aliens hadn't been written... I love everything, from the soft bits to the loud bits. This is the kind of Horner music I will forever worship until the day I die. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    I honestly don't like Poltergeist II, it has never done anything for me besides take up a good hour of my time, where I could've listened to something far better, like Poltergeist.

You sort of have a point Gilles, though I do like quite a bit of Poltergeist II it just isn't usually the one I'll reach for when I see POLTERGEIST right next to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    ALIENS - JAMES HORNER

Going through the extra supplements of the blu-ray set and hearing the music in the background made me want to listen to the real deal. Though there were other scores that had a hand in my love for film scores, I don't know where I would be if something like Aliens hadn't been written... I love everything, from the soft bits to the loud bits. This is the kind of Horner music I will forever worship until the day I die. punk

See, there are some things where we agree 100% biggrin cool beer
  10. Southall wrote
    Poltergeist II - Jerry Goldsmith

A very interesting score, so completely different from the first one. It is probably Goldsmith's most spiritual score, so much beauty in those moments, then there's the Omen-style chanting occasionally and the big theme. So well-done, all of it. Having said that - haters of Goldsmith's synths need not bother with it.

What I remember about this score is that the expanded release had a completely different feel to the original release. Most if not all of the choral parts were absent from the first disc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE KARATE KID - JAMES HORNER

smile

The final cue is one of Horner's best of the decade.

The best cue is unquestionably "Kung Fu Heaven". Even if it's very short, it's a glimpse into the religious sound I love so much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    shocked That is a very un-Thor-like comment. Where is the real Thor? ("Unquestionably" the "best" cue?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Tree of Life - Alex D

My first listen. 20 minutes in, very impressed (though a little cautious about what may be to come, based on f_c's comments). I wonder if this is the type of music Malick has been seeking all along. It will be very interesting to see what relation the music on the album bears to the music in the film.

Anyway, as Graham Taylor would say, do I not like this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    shocked That is a very un-Thor-like comment. Where is the real Thor? ("Unquestionably" the "best" cue?)

Alright, alright.......IN MY HUMBLE OPINION; THUS DOTH I SPEAK!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Medal of Honor - Ramin Djawadi

Been listening to the box set, and I decided to skip around and got to this album. I don't mind Ramin doing an extension of the Black Hawk Down sound. In the scope of the game being so cinematic, it's the most logical way progression, and IMHO, the best iteration of all the modern war scores that came after BHD. It's actually somewhat thematic, incorporating the main melody at certain point of the score. It's worth a few re-listen for me. I'd give it a 3 stars rating, if that matters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I'll never spin that score ever again! The Black Sheep of the MOH box set.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ I'll never spin that score ever again! The Black Sheep of the MOH box set.

-Erik-

Meh, your expectations are too unrealistic sometime. However, chances are low that I'd re-listen to everything in the box set again. There are simply so much music in the library to sift through. Soundtrack Hoarders UNITE!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I want to hear good music... Ramin's MOH isn't good... but I'm glad you like it. But compared to the rest of the set it sticks out like an ugly sore thumb!

Curious though... let's say MOH started with Ramin's sound and there were a half a dozen similarly styled scores written over the course of the next 10 years. But then the last one was scored with a more traditional approach a la Giacchino do you think we still would have got a MOH box set?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    I want to hear good music... Ramin's MOH isn't good... but I'm glad you like it. But compared to the rest of the set it sticks out like an ugly sore thumb!

Curious though... let's say MOH started with Ramin's sound and there were a half a dozen similarly styled scores written over the course of the next 10 years. But then the last one was scored with a more traditional approach a la Giacchino do you think we still would have got a MOH box set?

-Erik-

Are you wondering whether there will be a demand for a full release of a traditional style orchestral score if it was written for a franchise that had started with the Ramin/BHD sound? Yes. IMO, in the soundtrack community, when something is successful, there will be fans, and they will want a full release.