• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011
    NP: UNDER FIRE (Jerry Goldsmith)

One of his best-ever albums, and kinda neat listening as I'm now waking up to a superb, almost summer-like day here in Oslo.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    NP: UNDER FIRE (Jerry Goldsmith)

One of his best-ever albums, and kinda neat listening as I'm now waking up to a superb, almost summer-like day here in Oslo.

My favourite Goldy. And great weather here as well. the weather gods must like northern Europe today.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011 edited
    Now playing random tracks that I haven't yet rated in itunes. Still have 28106 tracks to rate. I love playing music like this while rating. Currently listening to the track "The call" from Michael J. Smith's instrumental album "Freedom". This track has a few vomit-inducing pop-elements, like a guy singing "yeah yeah yeah yar", but it's a catchy and very enjoyable listen, that for some reason reminds me of Faith No More. Think I'll rate it ***½ stars.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PASSION OF THE CHRIST (John Debney)

Debney's greatest score. Uplifting, but without being saccharine or clichéed (which Debney often does). Great ethnic grooves.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Debney's greatest score. Uplifting, but without being saccharine or clichéed (which Debney often does). Great ethnic grooves.

Indeed, his top moment to date.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Lair!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's good, but passion of the christ is way ahead of it smile As a us christian right-wing, it's natural he got inspired and got it 100% right wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE NEVERENDING STORY (Giorgio Moroder/Klaus Doldinger)

One of my favourite 80's soundtracks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    CUTTHROAT ISLAND OBLITERATES ANYTHING DEBNEY HAS EVER WRITTEN!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    CUTTHROAT ISLAND OBLITERATES ANYTHING DEBNEY HAS EVER WRITTEN!

-Erik-

Now we are talking.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It could be a great 30-40 minute album, but the ol' Silva release is a bit too much for my taste (I'm not even going to mention the expanded version that came out later). After that point, the swashbuckling, fanfares and rampant brass/percussion drives start to grate. I even thought that back in the 90's when I bought it, way before I started to veer towards more mellow music.

But yeah, the main theme overture thingie kicks ass! No doubt about that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You know what makes CutThroat Island so good? The swashbuckling fanfares and rampant brass/percussion.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    You know what makes CutThroat Island so good? The swashbuckling fanfares and rampant brass/percussion.

-Erik-

For a while, yes.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

For a while, yes.

For a while???

For the whole fucking album I say !!!!!!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Agreed. Even after two hours I'm not tired of it.
  3. VAN HELSING - ALAN SILVESTRI

43 minutes of this kind of bombast is just about great. Silvestri in ass kicking mode.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Aside from the various minutes of swashbuckling, the score sounds like a 1990s action score more than a tribute to the Golden Age of swashbuckling music.

Not a bad thing though.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  5. Anthony wrote

and there's kick ass stuff on the expanded album, that's for sure punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Aside from the various minutes of swashbuckling, the score sounds like a 1990s action score more than a tribute to the Golden Age of swashbuckling music.

Not a bad thing though.

It has everything that current film scores don't. sad
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    DreamTheater wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Not a bad thing though.

I was just saying that Cutthroat Island owes more to Arnold, Silvestri and Horner than to Korngold, Steiner and others around that time (because people attribute this score as a homage to the Golden Age scores, which clearly it isn`t for the most part).

Still a good score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

shocked

I like CUTTHROAT ISLAND but my tolerance wavers after about 20 minutes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Not a bad thing though.

I was just saying that Cutthroat Island owes more to Arnold, Silvestri and Horner than to Korngold, Steiner and others around that time (because people attribute this score as a homage to the Golden Age scores, which clearly it isn`t for the most part).

Still a good score.

There are influences from all over film music in that score from the Golden Age greats to the modern day classics but it's mostly a homage to the Golden Age swashbucklers.

It's a masterpiece and, IMO, one of the greatest scores ever composed!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

I agree, his best score to date. Emotional and powerful, Mary Goes to Jesus is one of my favorite cues of all time.
  7. Cristian wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

I agree, his best score to date. Emotional and powerful, Mary Goes to Jesus is one of my favorite cues of all time.

I agree. Also, the story of how he made that cue is amazing.

NP: Dark Day - Soul Surfer (Marco Beltrami)

Sounds nothing like I heard from Beltrami before. Wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Not a bad thing though.

They do, slightly differently though. For instance, M:I:III (Giacchino) or PAYCHECK (Powell).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yonythemoony wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

That is one of the most powerful and intimate film music moments i've ever witnessed, very powerful stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Shoes of the Fisherman - Alex North

Phenomenal music. The level of artistry which went into this is scarcely believable.
  8. Black Swan - Clint Mansell.

Yes. My kind of score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    yonythemoony wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

What is the story?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011
    I hope you're not talking about the devil story. rolleyes
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!