• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Return of the King (Howard Shore)

The original album release. It's a good album. Some days it seems a bit lightweight to me these days, but this isn't one of them.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP: 101 Dalmations - Michael Kamen

I think the score and album is absolutely brilliant! One of Kamen's most under appreciated scores! I think I'm going to listen to that one today!

I have no idea if that piano going up and down the scale is performed by a human being or not but I do love the sound that is created!

-Erik-

I agree on the absolute brilliance of the score. One of my favorite Kamen works. It is extremely underrated.
  2. NP: Les Massacres - Oceans (Bruno Coulais)

Very gothic chorus in this one. And the last 30 seconds with thoses sliding strings sounding like dying dolphins gives me chills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    CRISIS 2 | borislav slavov, tilman sillescu, hans zimmer (themes) & lorne balfe

Quite cool, in unsurprising terrain. Electronics, combined with orchestral elements. I'm 8 tracks in and enjoy it for the most. A track like SOS New York is really nice! The title theme is definitely Zimmery, and not very original. The score tracks by Slavov and Sillescu are more interesting (and more orchestral), but they sometimes use Zimmer's themes (or at least hints, or perhaps it sounds all the same...). Their music reminds me a bit of Graeme Revell's Chronicles of Riddick. It's just a bit all over the place, like with a lot of game scores. And why is it two cd's... face-palm-mt

Why two cd's ? To extend the torture.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    KevinSmith wrote
    Wild Africa - Christopher Gunning

A nice documentary score (pardon the Gladiator sounding bits). A strong main theme and exotic underscore mix together make the album above average for scores of this type. The album is a bit overlong and the underscore as a whole isn't totally cohesive but it's just enough.

Shirley, you can't be serious. This is the perfect album! My favourite score from 2001, even above LOTR, which I also worship.

Peter smile
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    You will quite possibly take me for a loon, but I've always preferred the 1997 Special Editions so I don't think they will screw it up, not for me. At the very least the sound mixes will be mindblowingly awesome !!!!

I am talking about the sound mix. They reversed the rear channels on their last DVD release (lets not get into how horrible the special edition soundtracks sound and the mixing issues) and dialed out music during the trench run so I'm sure they are going to fuck something up on the Blu-Rays. It's in their DNA.

-Erik-

PS - The special edition films suck... mostly. I do however like most of the new effects and shot added into Star Wars during The Battle of Yavin.

-Erik-

Never noticed the rear channels were switched. And normally I do notice such things, the slightest details in sound design. sad

But you can't fault the mixes for sheer power and dynamics... whenever the Millennium Falcon blasts on screen it makes me smile huge. And the scores sound great. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. RASCALS AND ROBBERS - JAMES HORNER

This is great ! Early Horner in adventure mode, a sort of cross between the whimsical melodies of 'Journey of Natty Gann', the quirkiness of 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' and the dark bits of 'Jack the Bear'. The score is fun and it already showed Horner's ability to construct highly infectious melodies. There's an action motif in here that's so like the Horner that I love. cool

The other one, The Homecoming by Goldsmith is decent, but a little too monotone for my tastes.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote
    CRISIS 2 | borislav slavov, tilman sillescu, hans zimmer (themes) & lorne balfe

Quite cool, in unsurprising terrain. Electronics, combined with orchestral elements. I'm 8 tracks in and enjoy it for the most. A track like SOS New York is really nice! The title theme is definitely Zimmery, and not very original. The score tracks by Slavov and Sillescu are more interesting (and more orchestral), but they sometimes use Zimmer's themes (or at least hints, or perhaps it sounds all the same...). Their music reminds me a bit of Graeme Revell's Chronicles of Riddick. It's just a bit all over the place, like with a lot of game scores. And why is it two cd's... face-palm-mt

Why two cd's ? To extend the torture.

My thoughts too. Seems extreme for a score like this. There are many other scores deserving of a 2 cd release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AN ENNIO MORRICONE ANTHOLOGY (Ehm...Ennio Morricone)

Superb 2CD set that includes catchy as well as beautiful themes in his career, from the the 60's to the 80's. Although I'll never be able to understand his tendency to "ruin" a beautiful theme with an off element - a burst of dissonance, a weird instrument, a crazy counter-melody etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Wild Africa - Christopher Gunning

A nice documentary score (pardon the Gladiator sounding bits). A strong main theme and exotic underscore mix together make the album above average for scores of this type. The album is a bit overlong and the underscore as a whole isn't totally cohesive but it's just enough.

Shirley, you can't be serious. This is the perfect album! My favourite score from 2001, even above LOTR, which I also worship.

Peter smile

yeah

"above average for scores of this type"? Would you care to elaborate Kevin?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Toy Soldiers - Robert Folk

One of his best scores. An enthusiastic adventure/action/kiddie score with a pleasant main theme. The orchestra's performance gives much life to the score in its somewhat generic underscore moments.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: I Am Legend - James Newton Howard

I love the main theme and the sad feeling of this score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cristian wrote

Me too, but I'm not too hot on the more horror-oriented parts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FLATLINERS (James Newton Howard)

The choral centerpieces are awesome, as well as the majestic main theme, but again - the horror outbursts are a bit of a verfremdungs-effect. This really deserves a legitimate release!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Cristian wrote

Me too. I wish that we could see a cut of the film with the original music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FALLING DOWN (James Newton Howard)

An even bigger unreleased JNH favourite of mine, often coupled with the above on various bootlegs. It's sweaty, urban (love that jazzy trumpet solo), melancholic, majestic, moody and groovy all at the same time. Release it, dammit!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor - Patrick Doyle

I like this. Not a lot, but I like it.

(Whatever happened to Paul Daniels, anyway?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Thor - Patrick Doyle

I like it too. It sounds like Jablonsky's transformers, but it has some better than average string writting and some tunes that reminds me to Doyle's work for Harry potter.

NP:Tron Legacy

Talking about cool sounding scores... this is one of my all time favouites scores because it's one of the best hight tech scores ever.

Disc Wars... punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Thor - Patrick Doyle

He disappeared....just like that!
  6. Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor - Patrick Doyle

I like it too. It sounds like Jablonsky's transformers, but it has some better than average string writting and some tunes that reminds me to Doyle's work for Harry potter.

Thor Kills The Destroyer and Forgive Me are the only cues which reminded me of Goblet of Fire. The rest is decent.
  7. Thor wrote
    NP: FLATLINERS (James Newton Howard)

The choral centerpieces are awesome, as well as the majestic main theme, but again - the horror outbursts are a bit of a verfremdungs-effect. This really deserves a legitimate release!

Thor wrote
    NP: FALLING DOWN (James Newton Howard)

An even bigger unreleased JNH favourite of mine, often coupled with the above on various bootlegs. It's sweaty, urban (love that jazzy trumpet solo), melancholic, majestic, moody and groovy all at the same time. Release it, dammit!

Like Falling Down too. Typical 90s JNH with simple yet effective themes, and a certain sound you just don't hear him do anymore. It's Grand Canyon's little brother.

And Flatliners I want released as it appears in the film, nothing more, nothing less...
  8. GODDAMNITTOHELL... THE FORUM IS FUBAR !!!!!! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    People... for the love of Bregt, please check your quote tags.

crazy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gilles done gone broked it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  9. Seriously, what happened? I can't even edit my post anymore. shame
  10. Great, thanks alot, DreamTheater , you broke it. tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Geez, whazzap with all the goats?
    I am extremely serious.
  11. It's Thor's fault, he shouldn't have listened to Falling Down and Flatliners, so I wouldn't have commented on them. tongue