• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    I didn't make it up, Timmer. May 4th is like a religious holiday for Star Wars fans!

-Erik-

Oh?! shame

In that case...

I'll get my coat......>>>>>
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011
    Why? Something special happened on May 4th in relation to STAR WARS?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

It can only be May The 4th....February The 4th wouldn't sound right. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Oh no....got the 4th/force bit, but forgot the 'may' bit. Groan.... shame
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

But surely in the US they'd say "May fourth be with you" rather than "May the fourth be with you" as we'd say here? And that doesn't work. And by the way, don't call me Shirley!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Oh no....got the 4th/force bit, but forgot the 'may' bit. Groan.... shame

Incidentally, today is also the date the specs are revealed for the upcoming Star Wars blu-rays.

punk punk >>>>>>>> DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 surround <<<<<<< punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Even more versions of Star Wars? dizzy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Of course, they hadn't been released yet in HD.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Of course, they hadn't been released yet in HD.

Ah, right. I lost track. I assume 3D is in the works also? Smell-O-Vision?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

Incidentally, today is also the date the specs are revealed for the upcoming Star Wars blu-rays.

You do know that they are going to screw that up, too!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: HANNA (The Chemical Brothers)

It's OK in that down-and-dirty trip hop style, not that dissimilar from The Dust Brothers' FIGHT CLUB, but some of that highpitched sound is a bit grating. Great grooves!

In the film, it works wonders. Have you seen it? a 5/5 score for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, haven't seen it yet. I will.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

It's OK in that down-and-dirty trip hop style, not that dissimilar from The Dust Brothers' FIGHT CLUB, but some of that highpitched sound is a bit grating. Great grooves!

Really? A perfect rating which puts it on the same league as as Star Wars, Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Sunset Boulevard, etc. I haven't seen the film but I have my doubts about it being THAT good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    CRISIS 2 | borislav slavov, tilman sillescu, hans zimmer (themes) & lorne balfe

Quite cool, in unsurprising terrain. Electronics, combined with orchestral elements. I'm 8 tracks in and enjoy it for the most. A track like SOS New York is really nice! The title theme is definitely Zimmery, and not very original. The score tracks by Slavov and Sillescu are more interesting (and more orchestral), but they sometimes use Zimmer's themes (or at least hints, or perhaps it sounds all the same...). Their music reminds me a bit of Graeme Revell's Chronicles of Riddick. It's just a bit all over the place, like with a lot of game scores. And why is it two cd's... face-palm-mt
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Atham wrote
    NP: First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

I like Christian Clemmensen's review at Filmtracks today (although I'm not sure I agree with his "unintentional parody mode" comment).

Neither do I. I never comment on other people's reviews (people in glass houses, and all that) but I couldn't disagree more with that, so will not be able to say again that I never comment on other people's reviews! In no way is it a parody. The film is absolutely awful but Goldsmith gives it life, makes it worth watching. No film score demonstrates more aptly why I think he is the greatest scorer of Hollywood films that there has ever been. No other composer could have done as much to help that film. I was, I'm not afraid to admit it, virtually in tears at the finale (which still isn't called "Arthur's Farewell" on the new release, but should be) thanks to his music, so moving it is in context. It's beautiful on the album, but in the film it packs an incredible punch. There is no parody there at all. It is 100% sincere, quite remarkably so in fact.
  5. Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome

Epic Jarre with some pretty good themes, mixed with some really cheesy action moments in the beginning and end.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Atham wrote
    NP: First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

I like Christian Clemmensen's review at Filmtracks today (although I'm not sure I agree with his "unintentional parody mode" comment).

Neither do I. I never comment on other people's reviews (people in glass houses, and all that) but I couldn't disagree more with that, so will not be able to say again that I never comment on other people's reviews! In no way is it a parody. The film is absolutely awful but Goldsmith gives it life, makes it worth watching. No film score demonstrates more aptly why I think he is the greatest scorer of Hollywood films that there has ever been. No other composer could have done as much to help that film. I was, I'm not afraid to admit it, virtually in tears at the finale (which still isn't called "Arthur's Farewell" on the new release, but should be) thanks to his music, so moving it is in context. It's beautiful on the album, but in the film it packs an incredible punch. There is no parody there at all. It is 100% sincere, quite remarkably so in fact.

Well, then it has to be moving indeed, because the film is pants!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

You do know that they are going to screw that up, too!

-Erik-

You will quite possibly take me for a loon, but I've always preferred the 1997 Special Editions so I don't think they will screw it up, not for me. At the very least the sound mixes will be mindblowingly awesome !!!!
  7. Bregt wrote
    CRISIS 2 | borislav slavov, tilman sillescu, hans zimmer (themes) & lorne balfe

Quite cool, in unsurprising terrain. Electronics, combined with orchestral elements. I'm 8 tracks in and enjoy it for the most. A track like SOS New York is really nice! The title theme is definitely Zimmery, and not very original. The score tracks by Slavov and Sillescu are more interesting (and more orchestral), but they sometimes use Zimmer's themes (or at least hints, or perhaps it sounds all the same...). Their music reminds me a bit of Graeme Revell's Chronicles of Riddick. It's just a bit all over the place, like with a lot of game scores. And why is it two cd's... face-palm-mt

Wow. SOS New York sounds cool. Reminds me of Powell instead of Zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

Really? A perfect rating which puts it on the same league as as Star Wars, Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Sunset Boulevard, etc. I haven't seen the film but I have my doubts about it being THAT good!

-Erik-

No, nothing like that; we talked about that in the past smile Not comparing to the classics, these are beyond ratings, imo. But as a modern score, in a movie i really liked, i thought it was flawless, especially during 3 scenes. The whole cinema was dancing. On cd, it doesn't say much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Well, then it has to be moving indeed, because the film is pants!

It is awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So many mixed reviews, all the trailers (and some friends) suggest it's, well, as Southall described, some reviews online suggest otherwise. I am not tempted though, i don't have money and time to throw away!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Are we talking about the same film?
  8. Ultimate Soul of a Nation - Howard Shore

Lord of the Rings 2.0 in a video game. On the whole, it is filled with quality Shore-esque moments of epic writing, but it's missing the silver bullet of thematic presence which makes it a bit disappointing considering how highly acclaimed this score was.
  9. That's a good score, that one. (Soul of the Ultimate Nation.) Not good sounding (sorry John Kurlander), but good writing.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    So many mixed reviews, all the trailers (and some friends) suggest it's, well, as Southall described, some reviews online suggest otherwise. I am not tempted though, i don't have money and time to throw away!

Southall wrote
    Are we talking about the same film?

Well, no apparently. My bad. I thought we were talking about THOR. Goddamned it Thor, change your friggin name man smile wink shame off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    You will quite possibly take me for a loon, but I've always preferred the 1997 Special Editions so I don't think they will screw it up, not for me. At the very least the sound mixes will be mindblowingly awesome !!!!

I am talking about the sound mix. They reversed the rear channels on their last DVD release (lets not get into how horrible the special edition soundtracks sound and the mixing issues) and dialed out music during the trench run so I'm sure they are going to fuck something up on the Blu-Rays. It's in their DNA.

-Erik-

PS - The special edition films suck... mostly. I do however like most of the new effects and shot added into Star Wars during The Battle of Yavin.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Even I noticed the crappy sound on the DVD release - and I never notice such things.

Still, like a moth to the flame, I'm sure I will buy the Blu-Rays. And then in a couple of years I'll buy the 3-D Blu-Rays.
  10. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

No, nothing like that; we talked about that in the past smile Not comparing to the classics, these are beyond ratings, imo. But as a modern score, in a movie i really liked, i thought it was flawless, especially during 3 scenes. The whole cinema was dancing. On cd, it doesn't say much.

Cool, I love electronic dance music. I may have to listen to it myself, considering Broxton condemned it to hell in his review...
  11. Wild Africa - Christopher Gunning

A nice documentary score (pardon the Gladiator sounding bits). A strong main theme and exotic underscore mix together make the album above average for scores of this type. The album is a bit overlong and the underscore as a whole isn't totally cohesive but it's just enough.