• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011
    Bregt wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nevermind, they renamed it. It's now called "Schmerzen."

Wow, that's THE blow-away track! I posted it on the Now Playing Facebook thread.

Ah yes. I just saw that! Cool!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Great story indeed, Erik. I love these personal stories that we have for the music.

beer

When I do my Medal of Honor show (which will be soon) I'll be sharing a few more stories.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault | michael giacchino

This La-La Land set is spectacular. I already knew half of the scores, but it was a long time ago I had listened to them. Allied Assault is a short one, but it contains extremely explosive material, like 'Schmerzen' and 'Tiger Tank'. The orchestra, and especially the brass and percussion, just blasts through my speakers. Adventure, exiting, really really great themes ... I love it!

I nearly blew one of the takes during the recording sessions. I forget which track contains the V2 motif but just before the piece was performed I was in the control room. Michael remembered hopw much I loved the V2 motif from the first MOH that he told me that I might want to go out to stage and hear this cue live. The piece began and then about half way through the V2 motif begins. I was sitting in one of the pews in the Bastyr church where they recorded the score and I immediately jumped to my feet with a huge smile on my face. As the piece continued Giacchino began to pour it on. The piece blows me away. I'm freaking out. The piece comes to an end and I can't control my excitment. I begin to applude and gave out this big "Wooooooooooooooooh! Awesome!" The orchestra turned to look at me, there were a few laughs, I felt like an idiot and then I wondered if I blew the take. I ran back to the control room, asked if I blew the take, they said no and then Michael said "You liked that one, huh?"

Sorry for the long winded story but that was a cool experience.

Ummm... wait a minute. Is "V2 at Remagen" even on the La La Land set?

-Erik-

I want your life.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Medal of Honor: European Assault - Christopher Lennertz

Outside of the first three Giacchino Medal of Honor scores (MOH, MOH:U and MOH:F) this one is my favorite Medal of Honor score. Brilliant main theme and thrilling action material! Superb!

-Erik-

Indeed. Listennig to the 42 minutes bonus material from European Assault right now. Great music!

'Into the Camps' shocked

Yeah! The bonus European Assault tracks are what makes this set an essential purchase. Lennertz writes some brilliant material that rivals even the best music Giacchino wrote. Kudos to the producers of Rising Sun to bring Lennertz on board when Giacchino decided not to continue with the series!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    I want your life.

Peter punk

Well, to be completely honest I haven't met any other film composers so all I have are my early Giacchino stories. It however was a very cool experience and I'm honored that Giacchino invited me to the Underground sessions and then subsiquent sessions after that. It's too bad that I haven't been able to travel to LA to visit him on the scoring stage for some of his film work but I hope one day that will change... that is of course if he wants me to come down. We haven't talked in years. Oh well, at least I have those wonderful memories.

-Erik-
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woodps wrote
    NP: Medal of Honor: European Assault - Christopher Lennertz

Outside of the first three Giacchino Medal of Honor scores (MOH, MOH:U and MOH:F) this one is my favorite Medal of Honor score. Brilliant main theme and thrilling action material! Superb!

-Erik-

Indeed. Listennig to the 42 minutes bonus material from European Assault right now. Great music!

'Into the Camps' shocked

Yeah! The bonus European Assault tracks are what makes this set an essential purchase. Lennertz writes some brilliant material that rivals even the best music Giacchino wrote. Kudos to the producers of Rising Sun to bring Lennertz on board when Giacchino decided not to continue with the series!

-Erik-

Erik, please don't say it is an essential purchase!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, Alan, I'm not sure how much Medal of Honor music you have heard but aside from Djawadi's effort (which I'm currently using as a coaster for my coffee mug) the rest of series is pure symphonic gold. Why don't you wait until my show... I would like to get that one up later this coming week... have a listen to the suites and make your decision then. IMO, Giacchino's first three Medal of Honor scores are some of the best symphonic music I've ever heard and I'm proud to say that the first Medal of Honor score is on my Top 10 list of all time greatest scores! If you like big, bold, , action oriented, melodic, powerful orchestral music... then yes, the MOH box is an essential purchase.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    To me it's all that, but also its themes and the adventure. It's so much fun to listen to these scores. It sometimes feels a bit tongue-in-cheek too. Alan, I'd wait for Erik's show. But I think Medal of Honor is a safe purchase. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011 edited
    Bregt hit the nail square on the head. The MOH scores are big fun and I think that's what makes them so popular and is the major element missing in Djawadi's score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Djawadi's score doesn't fit this release at all. It's a score that is part of how movies and other games taking place in the Middle-East have been sounding since a couple of years. Ambient, percussive, not much themes or melody, cold and harsh. It's an entirely different approach, and also not a very interesting one anymore.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Alan, here is the track that convinced me that what I was about to experience was going to be something special. This is the third track on the MOH score album and while the first two tracks were extraordinary this is the one that really had my full attention. And once that track was done Giacchino came back with one brilliant track after another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg1qnHR1iUE

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Bregt hit the nail square on the head. The MOH scores are big fun and I think that's what makes them so popular and is the major element missing in Djawadi's score.

-Erik-

I would also say that MOH evokes the spirit of the great Ron Goodwin. Big, lovely and fearless in-your-face music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Cheers, Erik.

I do have a lot of Medal of Honor music - both Giacchino and Lennertz. And I do like what I hear when I hear it.

But, I think I am reaching a point where I have too much music. And, I'm increasingly finding that I am becoming less satisfied with the "quick hit" of favourite lists and want to go back to the more structured whole album experience.

Anyone else find this? The "ebb and flow" of the favourite track vs the whole album experience?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh yes. I completely understand. There are weeks where all I will play are custom playlists and "My Favorites" playlist.

Back to MOH. If you already have Giacchino's and Lennertz's efforts and are happy with what you have then there is no need for you to buy the box set. However, the extra tracks from European Assault are pretty spectacular!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: RED PLANET - GRAEME REVELL and various

Enjoying a night in by myself tonight with some music, a Chinese takeaway, and a bottle of tasty NZ Sauv Blanc.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nevermind, they renamed it. It's now called "Schmerzen."

Wow, that's THE blow-away track! I posted it on the Now Playing Facebook thread.

I still remember the first time I heard this cue, back in 2002, when playing the game on PC. I was amazed by the piece and how great it worked in the phase of the game in which it was placed. The combination of this cue and the shootout it scores (it's the finale of the game) is unforgettable.

It was then that I became a fan of that unknown (by then) composer.

eDIT: Oh, and Alan, the LaLaLand set is spectacular, it is a MUST HAVE!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. NP: Apartment Cat and Mouse - The Bourne Ultimatum Complete Score (John Powell)

I love thoses signature Powell percussions (the bhangra dhols and those sticks).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GALAPAGOS (Mark Isham)

Quite lovely. Some exotic textures, some orchestral finesse and some synth stylings, which I've come to love. None of that cheesy trumpet/jazz stuff which I can't stand.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Apartment Cat and Mouse - The Bourne Ultimatum Complete Score (John Powell)

I love thoses signature Powell percussions (the bhangra dhols and those sticks).

Check out the house fight cue from Mr. & Mrs. Smith. The structure is exactly the same as the start of this piece.
  4. Anthony wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Apartment Cat and Mouse - The Bourne Ultimatum Complete Score (John Powell)

Check out the house fight cue from Mr. & Mrs. Smith. The structure is exactly the same as the start of this piece.

I know.
  5. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth - Randy Miller

For all the [over]praise that Christopher Young's earlier two scores get in the trilogy, Randy Miller delivers an unnoticed gem (more Goldsmith action oriented than horror, but it's still good stuff)
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth - Randy Miller

For all the [over]praise that Christopher Young's earlier two scores get in the trilogy, Randy Miller delivers an unnoticed gem (more Goldsmith action oriented than horror, but it's still good stuff)

You're kidding me right? This is ruddy awful!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - medal of honor

Absolutely stunning, to the last note.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And of course, FRONTLINE, his best score to date, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011 edited
    NP: 20TH CENTURY FOX - 75 YEARS OF GREAT FILM MUSIC (various)

Great selection, and only original soundtracks from 1940 and onwards.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Patrick Doyle - Thor

If they wanted this uninspired retake on king Arthur by zimmer then why didn't they get him instead ? Very sad to listen to this score. I haven't heard it on film but the stylistic and musical choices for this one are very sad to observe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and the recording and mixing is truly awful.
  6. NP: Agents of Secret Stuff - George Shaw

For review. For the amount of budget for this short film, Shaw does really well producing an interesting and very listenable score. This composer definitely can produce music full of emotion when required.

The CD is padded out with some tracks from 6-7 other films providing a good example of his work.
  7. NP: Sky Ferry - The Golden Compass (Desplat)

Nice main theme, very Desplat-esque.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Medal of Honour - Giacchino

Excellent. I mislaid this CD years ago so it's nice to have it again on the La-La release. I had underrated it in my mind in the years since I last heard it. Hugely enjoyable.