• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Thor (Doyle)

At least the recording is pretty good. specially the percusion.

vomit
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    WP: Hawk (Stuart Hancock)

Apart from the wonderful final track, this album is a snoozer. It has a nice sound that indeed revokes the spirits of LOTR, but the album and material is so soft and dull that I can't imagine myself to listen to it ever again. The final track goes on my compilation though

NP: Hoodwinked Too: Hood vs Evil (Murray Gold)

what you expect, you'll get. From electric guitar coolness to short orchestral and choral outbursts, this album is full of eclectic short moments. Not bad, but what's special about it?

Is Hoodwinked 2 worth the 500MB download Thomas?

nope, I can upload the mp3 of it instead, if you want?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Nautilus wrote

Yeap. JNH meets Desplat. But kinda generic.

I don't think it's generic, not the most original score but it's very good.
  2. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    WP: Hawk (Stuart Hancock)

Apart from the wonderful final track, this album is a snoozer. It has a nice sound that indeed revokes the spirits of LOTR, but the album and material is so soft and dull that I can't imagine myself to listen to it ever again. The final track goes on my compilation though

NP: Hoodwinked Too: Hood vs Evil (Murray Gold)

what you expect, you'll get. From electric guitar coolness to short orchestral and choral outbursts, this album is full of eclectic short moments. Not bad, but what's special about it?

Is Hoodwinked 2 worth the 500MB download Thomas?

nope, I can upload the mp3 of it instead, if you want?

Could you please? I don't need the lossless versions that come with the publicity package. Cheers.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't played anything for almost a week.

NP : nothing

Just don't feel like it, maybe I just needed to give my brain an aural rest.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Timmer wrote

That's good, I never underestimate the power of silence. The music is great but sometimes we also need silence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Miss the days I could enjoy good ol' silence. sad
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I'm beginning to know what you mean, Thor. Although not debilitating yet, and more likely just age related(?), I'm beginning to hear a low constant noise in my head when it gets quiet.

Soon, I may have to turn the volume of my music louder. (The beginning of a vicious circle.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs Evil - Murray Gold

Hate is probably too strong a word for this eclectic mix of styles - and myriad of influences. But I don't like this at all. I'd have to say that a lot of it is a collection of all the bits of his Doctor Who scores I don't really enjoy: particularly his style of mickey-mousing.

I'm pretty sure I won't be listening to this again.
  5. NP: Me Quieres Lejos - El Hijo de la Novia (Angel Illarramendi)

A five minutes track with nothing more than gentle renditions of most of the themes from the score. Especially the theme at 2:35 (my favorite theme of the score).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C2XGYkMqZo
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011
    Meet Joe Black - Thomas Newman

I like this score although there is one big weakness to it. The problem is that the highlights (Whisper of a Thrill, Someone Else, That Next Place) are surrounded by short, average cues. The album isn't even that long really. The themes are really nice though.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Water For Elephants - James Newton Howard

Basically James Newton Howard meets Alexandre Desplat and Thomas Newman. It's lovely music but not a lick of originality to be found.

-Erik-

You just name-dropped two of my all-time favorite composers in this review. Now I'm even more excited about this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Testament - James Horner

Intimate, reflective, rewarding!
    Very moving in a way Horner does so well.
    Short n sweet. But I'm happy I have it in my collection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011 edited
    This evening I was listening to scores as whole album, without doing anything. I haven't done this for months…! (It's not only because of lack of time, but also my bad habit of skipping tracks on iTunes shame )

So I was listening to my favorite Princess Mononoke, the soundtrack and the symphonic suite in a row, and I noticed the orchestra sounds a little different - on the soundtrack it sounds more powerful and wild, and the piano in Ashitaka & San is more emotional. On the suite it sounds more classical and softer. I don't know it's performance or recording or arrangement, but I love both anyway smile

And the soundtrack has some beautiful themes that are not in the suite, like the beautiful Tataraba (Iron Town) theme. Also the demon god theme is more exciting and scary on the soundtrack (I remember when I heard it for the first time in theater!)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BLOOD DIAMOND (James Newton Howard)

Not too keen on the action material, but the moody ethnic stuff is gorgeous.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thor wrote
    NP: BLOOD DIAMOND (James Newton Howard)

Not too keen on the action material, but the moody ethnic stuff is gorgeous.

Great score by JNH, I also like the action cues.

NP: Thor - Patrick Doyle

The Last Legion clearly is not! What a shame. I like the quieter cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011 edited
    Miya wrote
    This evening I was listening to scores as whole album, without doing nothing. I haven't done this for months…! (It's not only because of lack of time, but also my bad habit of skipping tracks on iTunes shame )

So I was listening to my favorite Princess Mononoke, the soundtrack and the symphonic suite in a row, and I noticed the orchestra sounds a little different - on the soundtrack it sounds more powerful and wild, and the piano in Ashitaka & San is more emotional. On the suite it sounds more classical and softer. I don't know it's performance or recording or arrangement, but I love both anyway smile

And the soundtrack has some beautiful themes that are not in the suite, like the beautiful Tataraba (Iron Town) theme. Also the demon god theme is more exciting and scary on the soundtrack (I remember when I heard it for the first time in theater!)

Great choice, Princess Mononoke is in my top ten scores of all time. I prefer the suite album because of the better listening experience.
  7. NP: Chasing The Storm - Thor (Patrick Doyle)

Not bad. So far.
  8. NP: To Jotunheim - Thor (Patrick Doyle)

The main theme is decent. And the electronic is listenable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Water for Elephants - James Newton Howard

Very boring.
  9. The Good Shepherd (Marcelo Zarvos + Bruce Fowler)

For me, it's the Zarvos sections plus the penultimate track, Arvo Part's Silouan's Song, that have me revisiting this score. The Fowler stuff is pretty weak, and the source cues are distracting at best.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. The Legend of Zorro - James Horner

I forgot how much fun this score was, especially "The Train."
  11. Yes, excellent score!

NP: Source Code suite on Cinematic Sound
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011
    christopher wrote
    NP: Source Code suite on Cinematic Sound

Booyakasha! punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011 edited
    NP: Water for Elephants - James Newton Howard

Wonderful score, one of the best scores of the year for me. "Jacob Sees Marlena" is magic! I haven't seen the movie but listening to this cue I can imagine how beautiful, magical and elegant that scene might be, just like the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Water for Elephants - James Newton Howard

Very boring.

yeah

It's melodic, I'll give it that, but nothing that sticks. Instantly forgettable.

And whoever put these period songs in between the score should be fired.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  12. INNERSPACE - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Creativity and fun, all in 78 minutes that never fail to raise a big smile on my face. cheesy

My heart saddens we will never hear such a sound ever again. Jerry you are the master !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jim Ware wrote
    Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal

Sixteen French horns, eight trombones, Wagner tubas, shakuhachi and chorus....I'd love to hear this live!

One of the greatest modern scores ever.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote

NP: Thor - Patrick Doyle

The Last Legion clearly is not! What a shame. I like the quieter cues.

Haven't heard it yet but i'd imagine: crap movie, weak score combi?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Water For Elephants - James Newton Howard

Basically James Newton Howard meets Alexandre Desplat and Thomas Newman. It's lovely music but not a lick of originality to be found.

-Erik-

I'd imagine it's the kind of music that works wonders in the film, judging from the later's premise. Eager to watch / hear the combination.