• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Jim Ware wrote
    Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal

Sixteen French horns, eight trombones, Wagner tubas, shakuhachi and chorus....I'd love to hear this live!

One of the greatest modern scores ever.

Yeah 10 years later and modern scoring has taken a turn for the worse, apart from a few exceptions.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. SLIPSTREAM - ELMER BERNSTEIN

So this is a bootleg, albeit one with extensive liner notes and professional packaging. A very well produced bootleg I must say. And some great music in there as well. This is only my first listen but I see myself returning to it a lot more. Definitely my type of score and I'm hearing a lot of Ghostbusters-like ideas, one of Elmer I really love. The collector in me is happy to have gotten it in time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

Sixteen French horns, eight trombones, Wagner tubas, shakuhachi and chorus....I'd love to hear this live!

Yeap, I'd more than likely put this in my top 10 of the 00's.

Good to see you here D beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

Yeah 10 years later and modern scoring has taken a turn for the worse, apart from a few exceptions.

True.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Cristian wrote

NP: Thor - Patrick Doyle

The Last Legion clearly is not! What a shame. I like the quieter cues.

Haven't heard it yet but i'd imagine: crap movie, weak score combi?

Who said it was a crap movie? It currently holds a 93% rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Southall wrote
    Water for Elephants - James Newton Howard

Very boring.

it's so soft, it barely shifts a tone (apart from the jazz) and it has one good track, the second one (because there's some life in that one). For me this is disappointing, especially considering the trailer music is much better than the whole score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    SLIPSTREAM - ELMER BERNSTEIN

So this is a bootleg, albeit one with extensive liner notes and professional packaging. A very well produced bootleg I must say. And some great music in there as well. This is only my first listen but I see myself returning to it a lot more. Definitely my type of score and I'm hearing a lot of Ghostbusters-like ideas, one of Elmer I really love. The collector in me is happy to have gotten it in time.

good to hear that you like it smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Cristian wrote

NP: Thor - Patrick Doyle

The Last Legion clearly is not! What a shame. I like the quieter cues.

Haven't heard it yet but i'd imagine: crap movie, weak score combi?

Who said it was a crap movie? It currently holds a 93% rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

-Erik-

I've been talked into going to see it next week, I'm glad to hear that all the reviews I've read have been possitive.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Come see the paradise (Edelman)

The love theme might be simplistic, but it's a great theme. Same can be said about the "Fire in a Brooklyn theatre" theme. Besides this, there's the simplistic "Kawamura family theme"; enjoyable as well. There's not much else to the score.

My rating: ****

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Water for Elephants - James Newton Howard

Very boring.

it's so soft, it barely shifts a tone (apart from the jazz) and it has one good track, the second one (because there's some life in that one). For me this is disappointing, especially considering the trailer music is much better than the whole score

It seems that I'm the only one from here who think this score is very good. But I know most people aren't attracted to this kind of music.
  5. plindboe wrote
    Come see the paradise (Edelman)

The love theme might be simplistic, but it's a great theme. Same can be said about the "Fire in a Brooklyn theatre" theme. Besides this, there's the simplistic "Kawamura family theme"; enjoyable as well. There's not much else to the score.

My rating: ****

Peter smile

I came across this the other week and I quite enjoyed it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I came across this the other week and I quite enjoyed it.

Me too. Edelman is the champ of simplistic yet highly catchy themes.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

I may in the past have expressed reservations about certain expanded releases of older scores, but I have to say this one hits the jackpot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THOR (Patrick Doyle)

I think it's hilarious that classicist Doyle channels Zimmer, but since I like Doyle, Zimmer and Remote Control, this is not bad listening. Love the bits that have the Wagnerian interval leaps with that ostinato thing going.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    NP: THOR (Patrick Doyle)

I think it's hilarious that classicist Doyle channels Zimmer, but since I like Doyle, Zimmer and Remote Control, this is not bad listening. Love the bits that have the Wagnerian interval leaps with that ostinato thing going.

Thor Kills The Destroyer and Forgive Me are some of my favorites cues from the score. There's better use of electronics and percussion than in the MV scores, and the main theme is decent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

I may in the past have expressed reservations about certain expanded releases of older scores, but I have to say this one hits the jackpot.

Goodness... I had forgotten just how good this is. Mulan's fantastic, but I wonder whether this is Goldsmith's last truly great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No... you were right the first time. Mulan was his last truly great score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011
    The complete Mulan is magnificent! I'll agree there.
    But my vote goes to the complete First Knight as being "Goldsmith's last truly great score".
    But only just. And that's due to the thematic nature of First Knight and the absence of electronics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Heroic Age - Naoki Sato

This one just came across my desk (from an anime film) and as Thor would say this is an Erik Woods soundtrack. Bold, epic, lyrical, purely symphonic! Bliss!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    No... you were right the first time. Mulan was his last truly great score!

-Erik-

mulan is very good but ( my opinion ) is that FIRST KNIGHT is JG's last great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Now I want an explanation. What exactly puts First Knight in an higher class than Mulan?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Certainly not the film, that's for sure! For me, as I said, just opinion, I enjoy it more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I can understand that but is Mulan NOT great?

-Erik-
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Now I want an explanation. What exactly puts First Knight in an higher class than Mulan?

-Erik-

The fact that I like it more.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Atham wrote
    But my vote goes to the complete First Knight as being "Goldsmith's last truly great score".
    But only just. And that's due to the thematic nature of First Knight and the absence of electronics.

First knight is from 1995 and Mulan from 1998, so if you say that First knight was his last great score you're essentially saying that Mulan wasn't great. Coupled with the fact that you say that Mulan is maginificent, this is quite odd.

In any case I think Goldsmith had a couple of truly great scores in 1999, so I don't agree with any of ya.

Peter smile
  8. Signs - James Newton Howard

This is probably my favorite score from Howard, simply because of the last 60 seconds of the very last track "The Hand of Fate - Part 2".
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Atham wrote

First knight is from 1995 and Mulan from 1998, so if you say that First knight was his last great score you're essentially saying that Mulan wasn't great. Coupled with the fact that you say that Mulan is maginificent, this is quite odd.

In any case I think Goldsmith had a couple of truly great scores in 1999, so I don't agree with any of ya.

Peter smile

No. It means that First Knight is ULTRA MAGNIFICENT!!!
    Mulan is simply ...."magnificent".

And (like Timmer and Michael have said) I like it and enjoy it more!

Anyway, NP: El Cid - Rozsa

Surely in the "ULTRA MAGNIFICENT" category!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Atham wrote
    No. It means that First Knight is ULTRA MAGNIFICENT!!!
    Mulan is simply ...."magnificent".

Indeed so!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    You're all wrong. Goldsmith's last great score was Hollow Man!!!!!!!!!!! smile

N.P. Hollow Man - Jerry Goldsmith

Apparently this is regarded as the composer's last great score. The slinky Basic Instinct-like feel of the main theme, the bursts of measured but strident action music, it all adds up to something truly brilliant. Love it.

Earlier finished the fairly dull Source Code by Chris Bacon. Saw the film last night too and the main title and emotional theme at the end are certainly the best bits. Most of the stuff in between works well enough in the film but it definitely bears the mark of JNH - and fairly generic JNH to say the least, in Interpreter or A Perfect Murder mode for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Never liked HOLLOW MAN much, to be honest. A bit too autopilot Goldsmith suspense with some BASIC INSTINCT licks blended in.

Also, I don't really understand that comparison between FIRST KNIGHT and MULAN, two scores that are very different in tone.

In terms of personal preference, I like FIRST KNIGHT a lot (especially the original album), but also admit to liking MULAN more - especially because of the songs, which are very good. I frequently find myself humming the "Let's get down to business....and de-FEAT the Huuuuuuns..." line in one of them. smile
    I am extremely serious.