• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011
    Now you are off your rocker, man. I agree that the release kicks major ass and I too was skeptical about how this score would work in its complete form but the fact that you think this is the best thing written in the past 16 years is CA-RAZAY!!!!!!!!!!! dizzy

BTW, if Slipstream turns out NOT to be a bootleg, IMO, that's the release of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I said I was still thinking about it! I can only think of two or three contenders, in my list. Of course, everyone's list is different.

It's funny - I remember when First Knight came out and I absolutely loved it (all I knew then was the original album - it would be a few years before I saw the film). The wise old heads on the newsgroups and mailing lists at the time scoffed at people like me saying how great it was - "of course it isn't, Goldsmith hasn't written anything good since 1981!" or "it's OK but nowhere near as good as The Wind and the Lion" etc. Now, 16 years on, I'm the one saying nobody's written anything better than it in the years since. Is this the "turning into my dad" moment?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    I said I was still thinking about it! I can only think of two or three contenders, in my list. Of course, everyone's list is different.

I'm just messing with ya! I think it's bloody brilliant myself and I have a much better appreciation for it now that I have heard the La La Land edition. I always enjoyed the original release but the previously unreleased Lancelot material brings the score up to a whole other level. Goldsmith wasn't one for leitmotif scores but when he did dabble in it he did it so well.

As for post-1995 scores... there are dozens upon dozens of scores that out shine First Knight. One of them was written last year...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    As for post-1995 scores... there are dozens upon dozens of scores that out shine First Knight. One of them was written last year...

If you mean what I know you mean then I take it as a deep personal insult that anyone would even mention it in the same breath as First Knight. wink

Anyway, thinking about it, (to coin my favourite mis-spelling on a film music forum ever) if someone put a bun to my head then I'd probably take Mission to Mars and Avatar to the desert island first... but it would be close.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Anyway, thinking about it, (to coin my favourite mis-spelling on a film music forum ever) if someone put a bun to my head then I'd probably take Mission to Mars and Avatar to the desert island first... but it would be close.

Adding Avatar ahead of ANY score is far more insulting to almost every score ever composed then me picking that RC graduate's score from the film where you have to teach that fictional winged lizard how to fly. wink

-Erik-
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Soul Surfer - Marco Beltrami

First listen... WOW! That main title cue blew me away. Gorgeous string melody with solo vocal and small choir ensemble! And then the second track "Turtle Bay Surfing" reminds me of something Goldsmith would have written... has that River Wild feel to it. So far two goosebumps moments in a row! I now have high hopes for the rest of the score...

-Erik-

I've just had a listen to this - and I've come to the conlcusion that I need to stop getting all caught up in the enthusiasm of others.

I'm a big Beltrami fan but this just doesn't grab me at all. Don't approach this one from the angle of being a fan of the composer, expecting it to be dripping with signposts of the composer. They may be there from material early on in his career, but not from his more recent action scoring. Admittedly, the film doesn't look as though his action scoring would fit too well into this. The choral aspects of the score? I don't have a problem with those, but I didn't enjoy the solo vocal pieces littered through the tracks.

I had heard clips before and thought them pretty average and passed. I need to stick with my initial thoughts more in future.

Now onto another score I've read a lot about - and one which I have heard nothing of - Desplat's The Tree of Life.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Southall wrote
    White Lion - Philip Miller

Excellent music for a film which sounds a bit like Born Free. The score doesn't (though there are vague hints of Barry from time to time) - primarily melodic, with exciting passages, occasional African choral music.

I listened to this one earlier on today and I didn't like it much. It didn't sound quite right to me somehow: to me it sounded a bit "thin" in terms of orchestration and I thought that the predominant use of the brass didn't really work. I didn't really like the mickey-mouse cues or the unusual percussion. And the (limited) use of ethnic vocals suffers from their overuse in previous Hollywood films.

There wasn't really much left for me to enjoy: the first and final tracks. Maybe I shouldn't review this one?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There wasn't really much left for me to enjoy: the first and final tracks. Maybe I shouldn't review this one?

I certainly wouldn't hold back from reviewing something just because you don't like it. I've already written mine and it's very positive, so a different viewpoint would probably be welcomed by people. (Personally - I didn't notice any mickey-mousing or unusual percussion - but did notice the thin-sounding brass - it sounds like a very small orchestra to me, though perhaps I'm mistaken.)
  3. NP: A National Lottery - Deep Impact (James Horner)

Very atmospheric. But still nice, and the renditions of the main theme at 3:27 are wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham

-Erik-

I don't know Erik. I think I'd favor Goldsmith's First Knight over Djawadi's Clash Of The Titans any day!
    But it's all about personal taste. wink
  4. RP: The Tree of Life - Alexandre Desplat

Rounding off a pretty poor day in terms of hoping for some good listens with this (to me) snoozefest. Desplat in this mode is a bit tiresome to me. Leave it to someone like Clint Mansell to lay down some interesting soundscapes with interesting instrumentation.

Tomorrow is another day...
  5. The day did end on a bit of high note though. I listened to some tracks on Youtube from Naoki Sato's Heroic Age OST 1. Now THAT is more like it.
  6. I was expecting that Desplat's score be Button-esque. Maybe in the film be better, or maybe after several listens be more enjoyable. Or maybe it's not for all tastes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011 edited
    Atham wrote
    Erik wrote

-Erik-

I don't know Erik. I think I'd favor Goldsmith's First Knight over Djawadi's Clash Of The Titans any day!
    But it's all about personal taste. wink

Man, that's crazy talk, ya dig?! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

If you mean what I know you mean then I take it as a deep personal insult that anyone would even mention it in the same breath as First Knight. wink

Mission To Mars...definitely!

First Knight over How To Train Your Dragon?, god yeah, by a marathon or ten!

Geez but we're all different aren't we? beer wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The day did end on a bit of high note though. I listened to some tracks on Youtube from Naoki Sato's Heroic Age OST 1. Now THAT is more like it.

I'm batting 1 for 2.

-Erik-
  7. NP: Fahrenheit 451 (Herrmann)

Great musical storytelling. Listening to this score while driving round today was a delight.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Water for Elephants - JNH

I was probably a little harsh on this before. The main trouble with it is, the Benjamin Button bits aren't as good as Benjamin Button (so just make me want to listen to that instead) and you could say the same about the numerous Thomas Newman and James Horner bits that also feed their way through from the temp-track. Speaking of Horner... if he did this, he would be absolutely slaughtered.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The day did end on a bit of high note though. I listened to some tracks on Youtube from Naoki Sato's Heroic Age OST 1. Now THAT is more like it.

I'm batting 1 for 2.

-Erik-

That is still quite a good average - for baseball. wink
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    RP: The Tree of Life - Alexandre Desplat

Rounding off a pretty poor day in terms of hoping for some good listens with this (to me) snoozefest. Desplat in this mode is a bit tiresome to me. Leave it to someone like Clint Mansell to lay down some interesting soundscapes with interesting instrumentation.

Tomorrow is another day...

Send it to me, it will find a good home here. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Medal of Honor: European Assault - Christopher Lennertz

Outside of the first three Giacchino Medal of Honor scores (MOH, MOH:U and MOH:F) this one is my favorite Medal of Honor score. Brilliant main theme and thrilling action material! Superb!

-Erik-

Indeed. Listennig to the 42 minutes bonus material from European Assault right now. Great music!

'Into the Camps' shocked
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's gorgeous! As it stands right now... I'm 8 tracks in... it's one of the finest scores I've heard this year and one of the finest Beltrami has ever composerd. And what a recording! And every time that theme pops up - :goosebumps: - but I feel like I've heard it before... EDIT: It just hit me... Rombi's Angel. The "Inspiration" theme.

-Erik-

Any comparisons with I AM DINA?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. NP: Lovegood - Deathly Hallows (Desplat)

Since that Luna Lovegood is a Trending Topic on Twitter, I'm listening to this. Same way that Evanna Lynch is perfect for playing the character, Desplat's theme is a perfect theme to represent her. I hope can use it in part two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault | michael giacchino

This La-La Land set is spectacular. I already knew half of the scores, but it was a long time ago I had listened to them. Allied Assault is a short one, but it contains extremely explosive material, like 'Schmerzen' and 'Tiger Tank'. The orchestra, and especially the brass and percussion, just blasts through my speakers. Adventure, exiting, really really great themes ... I love it!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    Medal of Honor: Allied Assault | michael giacchino

This La-La Land set is spectacular. I already knew half of the scores, but it was a long time ago I had listened to them. Allied Assault is a short one, but it contains extremely explosive material, like 'Schmerzen' and 'Tiger Tank'. The orchestra, and especially the brass and percussion, just blasts through my speakers. Adventure, exiting, really really great themes ... I love it!

I nearly blew one of the takes during the recording sessions. I forget which track contains the V2 motif but just before the piece was performed I was in the control room. Michael remembered hopw much I loved the V2 motif from the first MOH that he told me that I might want to go out to stage and hear this cue live. The piece began and then about half way through the V2 motif begins. I was sitting in one of the pews in the Bastyr church where they recorded the score and I immediately jumped to my feet with a huge smile on my face. As the piece continued Giacchino began to pour it on. The piece blows me away. I'm freaking out. The piece comes to an end and I can't control my excitment. I begin to applude and gave out this big "Wooooooooooooooooh! Awesome!" The orchestra turned to look at me, there were a few laughs, I felt like an idiot and then I wondered if I blew the take. I ran back to the control room, asked if I blew the take, they said no and then Michael said "You liked that one, huh?"

Sorry for the long winded story but that was a cool experience.

Ummm... wait a minute. Is "V2 at Remagen" even on the La La Land set?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks for that story. applause

I don't know that track though. AA is only five tracks.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nevermind, they renamed it. It's now called "Schmerzen."

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Great story Erik biggrin cool
  11. Great story indeed, Erik. I love these personal stories that we have for the music.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nevermind, they renamed it. It's now called "Schmerzen."

Wow, that's THE blow-away track! I posted it on the Now Playing Facebook thread.
    Kazoo