• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    RP: Thor - [i]Patrick Doyle[/b]

Listened to this for first time yesterday. I quite enjoy Doyle's "fantasy mode". I don't really care about the references to RC sounds, etc.

Zimmer's shadow is long I'm afraid. It is more than a reference to the RC sound(s). Thor, as it is, could have been composed by any of the RC minions over there. Even the main theme is the typical 90's MV anthem!

Had to switch to some Doyle with more umph

The Last Legion

Yes, repetitive....but that's the way to make an orchestra sound. 'No More War' punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. I'm not too concerned about the RC/MV sound when used in scores. But what gets me is that, if film makers want that sound then there are a lot of actual RC people to provide that sound.

Leave people like Patrick Doyle to do something that allows him to stamp something of himself onto the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I've been listening to Thor for about a week or so and I can't tell if I'm listening to Doyle of Steve Jablonsky. I remember loathing such repetitive and overly dramatic scores such as Eragon and The Last Legion but now I find myself craving those far more traditional scores instead of Doyle going completely against his style like he does in Thor.

In saying that the tender, intimate, reflective, quieter cues are more in tune with Doyle's style then any of the action material. Those are the cues I prefer to hear. But the big Wagnerian "Thor Kills The Destroyer" is about the only noisy action styled cue that I do enjoy!

Overall, I find most of the album's playing time to be nondescript, ordinary, with aimless banging percussion,
    and Zimmer inspired noise. This is below Doyle and it saddens me that he had to go down this route.

I'm prepping this score for my radio show... now I just need the time to record it. slant

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. WP: Hawk (Stuart Hancock)

Apart from the wonderful final track, this album is a snoozer. It has a nice sound that indeed revokes the spirits of LOTR, but the album and material is so soft and dull that I can't imagine myself to listen to it ever again. The final track goes on my compilation though

NP: Hoodwinked Too: Hood vs Evil (Murray Gold)

what you expect, you'll get. From electric guitar coolness to short orchestral and choral outbursts, this album is full of eclectic short moments. Not bad, but what's special about it?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. NP: Theme from New Moon - Desplat

Leaving my Twilight hatred to listen the scores. Amazing main theme, very Desplat-esque.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote
    All the Pretty Horses - Marty Stuart et al

Very good album, most entertaining.

Four stars?

Yes.
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    WP: Hawk (Stuart Hancock)

Apart from the wonderful final track, this album is a snoozer. It has a nice sound that indeed revokes the spirits of LOTR, but the album and material is so soft and dull that I can't imagine myself to listen to it ever again. The final track goes on my compilation though

NP: Hoodwinked Too: Hood vs Evil (Murray Gold)

what you expect, you'll get. From electric guitar coolness to short orchestral and choral outbursts, this album is full of eclectic short moments. Not bad, but what's special about it?

Is Hoodwinked 2 worth the 500MB download Thomas?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Southall wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote
    All the Pretty Horses - Marty Stuart et al

Very good album, most entertaining.

Four stars?

Yes.

You should review it, it's fairly cheap to find online.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    K2 - Hans Zimmer

One of Hans's best scores of the 1990s. Electric guitar, synthesizers, dramatic themes and brooding orchestration mix in together wonderfully.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think K2 is one of Zimmer's best scores PERIOD!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thirded.

One of my favourite Zimmers.

Love the suite aspect too, with two tracks describing the ascent and descent.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor - Patrick Doyle

Not bad by any means and there are some excellent moments, but large parts do pass by without leaving any real impression.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tora! Tora! Tora! - Jerry Goldsmith

Failure to leave an impression is not a problem suffered by this score. Intricate and very rewarding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

Failure to leave an impression is not a problem suffered by this score. Intricate and very rewarding.

It never did anything for me, although the melody line and meter of the main theme is quite intriguing. I have the RSNO recording.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Southall wrote

One of my favourite Goldsmith compositions. A remarkably emotional score.
  6. I think Tora! Tora! Tora! is the most Japanese Hollywood score ever written. Presents the culture the best.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

It never did anything for me, although the melody line and meter of the main theme is quite intriguing. I have the RSNO recording.

I think that's the worst of the RSNO recordings!
  7. Who conducted it there?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jerry himself. Performance is less than tight, the concert hall acoustic doesn't work at all for this score. (I think Patton, on the same disc, is fine, though.)
  8. Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

I think that's the worst of the RSNO recordings!

I can't even listen to this version of the score: I heard only a few bars of it and had to turn it off. On this occasion, original is best.
  9. I agree. The RNSO recording has no guts to it -- to be honest, I feel that way about a lot of the Goldsmith scores they did (e.g. Patton, Sand Pebble, although Patton is ok).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think Patton's fine (I prefer it to the original film tracks) but Sand Pebbles and Tora! are far from fine. I think the Herrmann and North recordings fare generally better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Jerry himself. Performance is less than tight, the concert hall acoustic doesn't work at all for this score. (I think Patton, on the same disc, is fine, though.)

I have no problem with the performance or even the "spacey" RSNO sound, but I haven't heard the original, so hard to compare.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Brilliant score and a very good film too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    In the Shadow of the Moon - Philip Sheppard

Aside from the 10-12 minutes of wonderful highlights, the score lacks a spark of energy.
  10. NP: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 - Doyle W. Donehoo

I only got 20 seconds in when I had a shocked moment!

Did I pull up the wrong mp3s to listen to? Listen to this and tell me you can't here Jerry Goldsmith's Alien in there!! It gets a bit more original after that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Water For Elephants - James Newton Howard

Basically James Newton Howard meets Alexandre Desplat and Thomas Newman. It's lovely music but not a lick of originality to be found.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 - Doyle W. Donehoo

Did I pull up the wrong mp3s to listen to? Listen to this and tell me you can't here Jerry Goldsmith's Alien in there!! It gets a bit more original after that!

"it get's a bit more original"? 'a bit' being the operative word cheesy wink

I see what you mean about the Alien bit.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Water For Elephants - James Newton Howard

Basically James Newton Howard meets Alexandre Desplat and Thomas Newman. It's lovely music but not a lick of originality to be found.

-Erik-

Yeap. JNH meets Desplat. But kinda generic.

NP:Thor (Doyle)

Talking about generic.

1 step beyond Djawadi. 2 steps under Jablonsky.

At least the recording is pretty good. specially the percusion.

Batman Begins has damaged a lot superheroe music.
  11. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 - Doyle W. Donehoo

"it get's a bit more original"? 'a bit' being the operative word cheesy wink

I see what you mean about the Alien bit.

I was very careful with my choice of words! wink