• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2011
    Southall wrote
    The Robe - Alfred Newman

Magnificent.

It is! Good choice sir. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Vampires Suck - Christopher Lennertz

The best score of his career so far.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2011 edited
    The Prince and the Pauper - Korngold

I've been listening to many of the Gerhardt recordings lately (totally awesome recordings).
    So today I thought I might listen to the complete score release by Tribute Film Classics of TPATP.
    Once again the the Moscow Symphony Orchestra performs brilliantly under the baton of William Stromberg.
    But I find this recording jarring. It lacks the warm, full-bodied sound that the Gerhardt recordings of thirty years ago had. Previous Tribute releases (and I have them all) have sounded very fine indeed. So what happened here? To my ears at least it sounds pinched and "tinny" as we used to say.
    Were they trying to go for the "old sound" of yesteryear?
    Anyway, what a wonderful score! Love Korngold!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2011 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    Vampires Suck - Christopher Lennertz

The best score of his career so far.

It's good but I wouldn't put it above America!, Saint Sinner, MOH: European Assault, or GUN.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Atham wrote
    The Prince and the Pauper - Korngold

I've been listening to many of the Gerhardt recordings lately (totally awesome recordings).
    So today I thought I might listen to the complete score release by Tribute Film Classics of TPATP.
    Once again the the Moscow Symphony Orchestra performs brilliantly under the baton of William Stromberg.
    But I find this recording jarring. It lacks the warm, full-bodied sound that the Gerhardt recordings of thirty years ago had. Previous Tribute releases (and I have them all) have sounded very fine indeed. So what happened here? To my ears at least it sounds pinched and "tinny" as we used to say.
    Were they trying to go for the "old sound" of yesteryear?
    Anyway, what a wonderful score! Love Korngold!

It's a pretty good score, despite its "whimsical" nature. I like the "Duel" tracks, in particular. I have the RCA Red Seal CD that also includes Max Steiner's MARK TWAIN (which I don't really like).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STANLEY & IRIS (John Williams)

Soothing tunes for a very heavy hangover today.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Black Sunday (1960)/Les Baxter. A vast improvement over the Citadel transfer.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal

Sixteen French horns, eight trombones, Wagner tubas, shakuhachi and chorus....I'd love to hear this live!
    Jim Ware wrote
    Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal

Sixteen French horns, eight trombones, Wagner tubas, shakuhachi and chorus....I'd love to hear this live!

How different is a Wagner tuba in sound compared to the other brass instruments?
    Addicted to Love - Rachel Portman

Trademark romantic comedy score by her.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Ememy at the Gates: Suite - James Horner

I'm making panckaes for the kids and while doing so I have all of my edited suites playing on shuffle. I'm currently spinning my epic 18 minute suite from Horner's Enemy at the Gates where I did my best not to include any of the terrible 4-note danger motif in its original form (variations of it during the action material I didn't mind so much.) I think Horner's score is very good however I wish he didn't score the opening scene and the 4-note danger motif ruins the album for me. Thank God for Adobe Audition. wink

-Erik-

I think at this point, I'm pretty much numb to those 4 notes. And the opening scene is the best part of the film IMO, and the music is partly why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Bug's Life - Randy Newman

The finest score to a Pixar film, and that's saying something. This is fabulous. I wish Newman had scored more films.
  2. Southall wrote

The finest score to a Pixar film, and that's saying something. This is fabulous. I wish Newman had scored more films.

Seriously??! WALL-E blows all other Pixar scores out the water.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love Wall-E, just not quite so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fly Away Home - Mark Isham

One of my top twenty favourite scores, probably.
  3. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote

"Wall-E" is second fiddle to "Finding Nemo", and both are beat easily by "The Incredibles".

And Randy isn't dead yet -- still more chances.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    WP: Rio - John Powell

Kinda generic, but still a nice little score with cool Brazilian influences. Powell shows great skill at orchestral writing again, especially in cues like Bird Fight and Rio Airport, and I'm glad the recording/mixing here is so much better than HTTYD. Looking forward to hear how the music works in the movie.

RIO is a movie that relies on songs to tell the story and drive the action, exactly like the the Happy Feet situation. John's work on the movie extended into the arrangement of most of the songs. This is the one case where having a song/score album would work really well the listening experience. I'm glad I have both album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote

"Wall-E" is second fiddle to "Finding Nemo", and both are beat easily by "The Incredibles".

Not on my list. I think the top four are Bug's Life, Nemo, Wall-E and Ratatouille. I do like all of them (though I doubt I'll listen to Up again and could probably live without hearing Incredibles again, too).

He isn't, and there are, but I'm not sure he's offered anything other than Pixar, and I'm equally not sure that he'll do any more of them. (I think he's done all he needs to there, anyway - would much rather he got to do another Awakenings or Avalon, but that doesn't seem likely at all.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Ememy at the Gates: Suite - James Horner

I'm making panckaes for the kids and while doing so I have all of my edited suites playing on shuffle. I'm currently spinning my epic 18 minute suite from Horner's Enemy at the Gates where I did my best not to include any of the terrible 4-note danger motif in its original form (variations of it during the action material I didn't mind so much.) I think Horner's score is very good however I wish he didn't score the opening scene and the 4-note danger motif ruins the album for me. Thank God for Adobe Audition. wink

-Erik-

I think at this point, I'm pretty much numb to those 4 notes. And the opening scene is the best part of the film IMO, and the music is partly why.

The opening scene was fantastic but if Horner did a Williams a la Saving Private Ryan (no music at all) I have a feeling the scene would have been much more impactful.

I don't know how any one can go numb when one of the most annoying re-used Horner phrases works it's evil ways into a score. Hell, even John Debney ruins one of the greatest themes he ever created by quoting the 4-note danger motif at the end of the Civilization Theme from Lair! It should have died a quick and painful death in Willow.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    justin boggan wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote

Please, Ratatouille trumps all! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Every other Pixar score and Dreamworks' Antz > A Bug's Life

-Erik-
  4. NP: Un Medico Cristiano - Pompeii (Marco Frisina)

Gorgeous. I like the vocal soloist performing the "tragedy" theme. And in the film this cue is wonderful.
    All The Pretty Horses - Marty Stuart & Co

One of my favourite scores ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    lp wrote
    RIO is a movie that relies on songs to tell the story and drive the action, exactly like the the Happy Feet situation. John's work on the movie extended into the arrangement of most of the songs. This is the one case where having a song/score album would work really well the listening experience. I'm glad I have both album.

Yep, one of the songs on the other album has a pretty long section of score joined in, culminating in a nice reprise of the main theme. Powell arranged much of the instrumentation on there, I heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    All the Pretty Horses - Marty Stuart et al

Very good album, most entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Water for Elephants - James Newton Howard

This beautiful score is quickly becoming one of my favorite of the year. I love the elegant piano and the strings in this score. The magical music I was expecting is here in cues like "Jacob Sees Marlena" and "Circus Fantasy". I've removed the source music for a better listening experience.

"Jacob Returns" is a powerful cue, I can't stop listening to it!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Incredible Hulk - Craig Armstrong

One that isn't mentioned often here ...
    Probably my favourite Armstrong score , it's powerful and beautiful at the same time .
    Love the Hulk theme and the Betty & Bruce love theme is one of sheer beauty .
    Joe Harnell's poignant piano theme , "The Lonely Man," from the 1979 Incredible Hulk TV series , is nicely incorporated into the track "Bruce Goes Home." One of the many nods to the original series .
    This score is a must have in any collection I'd say ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    Southall wrote
    All the Pretty Horses - Marty Stuart et al

Very good album, most entertaining.

Four stars?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    RP: Thor - Patrick Doyle

Listened to this for first time yesterday. I quite enjoy Doyle's "fantasy mode". I don't really care about the references to RC sounds, etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still working on Black Sunday
    listen to more classical music!