• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    The House of the Spirits - Hans Zimmer

Zimmer's take on the epic family drama is a relaxing melancholic work. The arranged album of suites helps the material ebb and flow.

This album is the predecessor to THE THIN RED LINE, in all aspects. Great early work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film as well. But I wish I had seen it on a huge, immersive screen (but not 3D).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. GLORY - JAMES HORNER

I like the score, but I can't call it a masterpiece in the same way I like to give that title to Titanic, Braveheart, Willow, Krull, Legends of the Fall. The music is gorgeous all right and pulls on the heartstrings, but it doesn't stick in the mind like those above do on every occasion.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film as well. But I wish I had seen it on a huge, immersive screen (but not 3D).

It was very impressive!
    But just as impressive on blu-ray at home. Love everything about it! cool
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Zimmer's take on the epic family drama is a relaxing melancholic work. The arranged album of suites helps the material ebb and flow.

This album is the predecessor to THE THIN RED LINE, in all aspects. Great early work.

It's better than TTRL, IMO.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah, can't really beat ttrl smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    GLORY - JAMES HORNER

I like the score, but I can't call it a masterpiece in the same way I like to give that title to Titanic, Braveheart, Willow, Krull, Legends of the Fall. The music is gorgeous all right and pulls on the heartstrings, but it doesn't stick in the mind like those above do on every occasion.

I've never really been fond of GLORY, I definitely prefer all those scores you mentioned over it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I've never really been fond of GLORY

shocked

I don't think I've ever seen anyone utter those words before. Not that I disagree with you, just haven't seen anyone offer non-praise for Glory before.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE FILM MUSIC OF... (Georges Auric)

Busy, colourful music in the Golden Age tradition, at times reminiscent of Korngold. A bit busy for my taste these days, but by all means - some great music!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Tree of Life (Desplat)

If you took Desplat's The Beat My Heart Skipped ... threw in Christopher Young's The Tower... and considered John Adams' minimalism (not Harmonielehre so much as 'Shaker Loops', although moments recall 'Meister Eckhart' from Harmonielehre), then that would set you up well to expect what you will hear here. This is possibly the most minimalist film score ever written, and certainly on the more austere side of Desplat's writing (Prophete, Beat, etc). Although for all that, the tone shifts cold and warm in the space of a note -- the harmonies are carefully contrived to these effects. A moment late in 'Circles' goes from this minimalist energy to a note that somehow barely brings in the thought of pastoral Americana... it's got some very subtle touches like that.

Highlights are 'Circles', a minimalist showpiece with the clearest debt to Adams (although the harmonies and colours are all Desplat), and 'Rivers', with its expression of the main theme. 'Motherhood' is as romantic as it gets, the rest keeps that distance that many have come to dislike from Desplat. There isn't a climax/catharsis a la 'Journey to the Line' or the Wagner material from The New World, presumably if Malick has one, it's come from his classical sourced music. But then it's hard to tell what the chemistry between picture and sound will be. Of all Malick scores, perhaps Morricone's Days of Heaven comes to mind, in the way that this score feels like the rhythms of a life that keep turning, divorced from the melodrama of the story.

'Emergence of Life' directly references the throbbing bass pulses of Syriana.

What is a pleasure to hear is that a composer has been given room to just write to ideas, very much as his interest drove him. The pieces have room to breathe, and who knows whether much of it has ended up in the film in this form, but at least we get to hear to ideas in full here. Last section of the album plays a bit slower. Another setpiece a la 'Circles' wouldn't have hurt to enliven things. This is very much an album that can go by without you knowing.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. NP: Christine - John Carpenter

I've not heard this since I had it on LP many years ago. Just acquired it from YouTube and it's taking me back! I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this. Some great thematic material and some rhythmic synth tracks that I think Carpenter/Howarth did so well back then.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thanks for the detailed review, Michael! I look forward to giving that album a spin now that I know what expect!

NP: The Concert Music of John Williams. Live! - John Williams
    The Chicago Symphony

I ripped this one from an on-line stream of the concert a few years ago (great sound quality) featuring two works I had never heard before - Fanfare for a Festive Occasion and Tribute to Seiji. Fanfare is what you might expect while Seiji is far more experimental featuring trates from Williams more modern composing style. The complete Five Sacred Trees (Bassoon Concerto) is performed in full, which I really like. I have the original album and it's wonderful to hear this piece again. Williams also performed four selections from American Journey and the concert version of Sayuri's Theme from Memoirs of a Geisha. As a bonus there is a performance of Vaughan Williams' London Symphony which is something I'm not familiar with.

This is a solid listen!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is John Williams conducting the Vaughan Williams work?

It's funny really, everytime I hear people on boards ( particularly FSM ) talk about John Williams influences I rarely hear Vaughan Williams name mentioned and yet, it is Vaughan Williams above all other composers whose influence and spirit defines JW's works.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Vaughan Williams for sure... now that I've heard more of his work. However, Williams influences are from all over the classical music word from the obvious to the obscure!

And the London Symphony was conducted by Robert Spano.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Of course that's true Erik, but none more so than Vaughan Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm argue that Copland pops up just as much!

-Erik-
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Christine - John Carpenter

I've not heard this since I had it on LP many years ago. Just acquired it from YouTube and it's taking me back! I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this. Some great thematic material and some rhythmic synth tracks that I think Carpenter/Howarth did so well back then.

I have to revisit the film sometime... it terrified me when I was a kid. And there's something about a murderous car with a jealous nature that makes it a very intruiging flick. In that typical Carpenter sense.

Will have to keep an ear out for the music, which I just know how it sounds. Also in that typical Carpenter sense.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. NP: Thor (Patrick Doyle)

even though I wasn't expecting something amazing, I'm still disappointed it is this .... safe. Doyle can make any track rock and this is not it. I've heard the comments before and through resembling other styles, Doyle lost his own during it.

Sad considering this was something right up the alley of Doyle

ah, luckily I can listen to Eragon instead, a score I thought to be generic at first, but now in comparison to most of today's music, an orchestral thrill ride from start to finish punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I have to revisit the film sometime... it terrified me when I was a kid. And there's something about a murderous car with a jealous nature that makes it a very intruiging flick. In that typical Carpenter sense.

Will have to keep an ear out for the music, which I just know how it sounds. Also in that typical Carpenter sense.

read my Carpenter reviews bro, for me it is one of his weakest
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

...and I'd argue that he doesn't but then it would all start getting a bit silly, shall we just drink a toast to our greatest living composer, John Williams?

Salute beer
  8. Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight - James Hannigan, Jason Graves, Tim Wynn

Noteworthy for the opening track 'To Save Humanity', which has a pretty good theme, and the 11 minute 'The Prophet's Ascension', which is actually a pretty good composition, holding some good ideas and melodies and having a nice build-up. There's a string-based portion in there that sounds a lot like something Bear McCreary wrote for a certain sci-fi series. The rest however is pure video game music trash and if you want to keep your sanity should be avoided like the plague, be sure to turn it off when Tim Wynn's contribution comes blasting out of the speakers.

Thanks to Matt for making me aware of the few good tracks. wave
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

read my Carpenter reviews bro, for me it is one of his weakest

Well yeah, probably so, all I can remember music-wise is THIS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

...and I'd argue that he doesn't but then it would all start getting a bit silly, shall we just drink a toast to our greatest living composer, John Williams?

Salute beer

But... but.... but... Ooooooookaaaaaaay.

beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The Deep- Barry
    Really does have an addictive theme.
    Zulu- Barry
    Great bombastic score. I have a couple versions of it. One favors a bit more Men of Harlech, while the other includes a couple of monologues of Richard Burton. One of those rare occasions where I don't mind some voice-over. Not to mention the powerful theme of this one as well.
    Gun- Lennertz
    Some great Out West composing, and yet another addictive theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Still one of Zimmer's best works, and one of my favs from him. Brilliant stuff.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    STAY TUNED - BRUCE BROUGHTON

Others have said it and I'll say it too... first listen and probably my last. Some scores should just remain unreleased. I'm sure it works just fine as background to the shenanigans on screen, but on CD... yuck! What a waste of Bruce's talent. vomit

Edit: What I really don't get is all the praise this one is getting on the Intrada board. shocked
  10. Birth - Desplat

Is it me or does this score radiate sex? It must be that bass pulse, or the long sustained strings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011 edited
    I have been playing Fast 5....

I find the 5 notes motive really cool and highly energic. i love it. The rest, is even more average than BLA or even more average than The Expendables.

NP: Water for Elephants.

It is growing on me.

Anyone else notice the "watch the world burns" from The Dark KNight in "Stampede"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Well...it is Nine Months predecessor too. and It is Gladiator Predecesspr too.

A lot of Zimmerism there. But I find it really cold and boring. ZZZZzzzzz
  11. DreamTheater wrote
    STAY TUNED - BRUCE BROUGHTON

Others have said it and I'll say it too... first listen and probably my last. Some scores should just remain unreleased. I'm sure it works just fine as background to the shenanigans on screen, but on CD... yuck! What a waste of Bruce's talent. vomit

Edit: What I really don't get is all the praise this one is getting on the Intrada board. shocked

yeah, sometimes you just don't get the praise

sad to hear you don't like it too

hope you can get rid of it fast