• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    The Shoes of the Fisherman - Alex North

Phenomenal music. The level of artistry which went into this is scarcely believable.

Once crashed a car while listening to this score! I haven't wanted to take any risks since...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

Phenomenal music. The level of artistry which went into this is scarcely believable.

Once crashed a car while listening to this score! I haven't wanted to take any risks since...

Do tell!
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. NP: Driving in Geneva - Syriana (Desplat)

I'm surprised that for a movie like this, Desplat manages to keep his style. I like his trademark electronic bass, Also, the string cue in this cue is the same from Dobby from his Potter score.
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

Note to self: Don't go cruising with franz_conrad...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Not while Alex North is playing. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011
    Scribe wrote
    I hope you're not talking about the devil story. rolleyes

Yeah, that was some weird shit, made me think Debney's a bit nutty.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011 edited
    As Good As It Gets - Hans Zimmer

A fluffy intimate romantic comedy score, with nice themes.
  6. NP: Bethany's Wave - Soul Surfer (Marco Beltrami)

Amazing. I love the rendition of the main theme in this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: Winnie The Pooh - Henry Jackman

This man has been delivering pretty good scores lately. Monsters Vs. Aliens, Gulliver's Travels, and now this cute little score with quite a few fast-paced orchestral pieces that are fun to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Black Swan - Clint Mansell.

Yes. My kind of score. cool

It's very good. Seamless integration with the Tchaikovsky material. Works like gangbusters in the film too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Prince of Foxes - Alfred Newman

One of the greatest of all the golden age swashbucklers. Incredible sound quality too, given when it was recorded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DemonStar wrote
    WP: Winnie The Pooh - Henry Jackman

This man has been delivering pretty good scores lately. Monsters Vs. Aliens, Gulliver's Travels, and now this cute little score with quite a few fast-paced orchestral pieces that are fun to listen to.

I can't wait to listen to this, "Ginormica Suite" from Monsters vs. Aliens is one of my favorites of all the music the Zimmer boys have ever produced.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    All About Eve - Alfred Newman

One of the greatest of romantic film scores. Simply glorious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    James - You are inspiring me to revisit some of FSM's back catalogue. I might start with Prince of Foxes on Monday.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011 edited
    Departures - Joe Hisaishi

I don't usually like Hisaishi (other than Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea) but this one is good. More like a concert work than a film score with strings and piano.
  7. NP: Full Moon - New Moon (Desplat)

I love the main theme. Too bad it's associated with Twilight.
  8. yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Full Moon - New Moon (Desplat)

I have often wondered, do you listen to isolated tracks or are you listening to the entire score and decide to post on a specific track?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Full Moon - New Moon (Desplat)

I have often wondered, do you listen to isolated tracks or are you listening to the entire score and decide to post on a specific track?

It depends.
  10. Ah, okay.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. I've been in the mood - for I don't know how long - to just listen to single tracks (favourites) at the expense of whole scores. I suppose that negates the over-riding goal of the composer in having a musical arc to the composition in favour of an immediate emotional "hit" on my part.

Although, I am wanting to listen more to entire scores - hence my need for convenient disc space for easy access to entire scores.

Any posts from now until the rest of the day are likely to be or are being influenced by gin and tonic/Brahma beer/Cote du Luberon (a mix of Grenache Blanc & Vermentino grapes) French wine.
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ah, okay.

Most of the scores I've listened were from the beginning to end. But sometimes I'm listening to a particular cue, and that one is reviewed here.
  13. Thor wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Black Swan - Clint Mansell.

Yes. My kind of score. cool

It's very good. Seamless integration with the Tchaikovsky material. Works like gangbusters in the film too.

Part of the success of that film rides on that score. I've never seen such a vital melding of image and music before or since.
  14. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've been in the mood - for I don't know how long - to just listen to single tracks (favourites) at the expense of whole scores. I suppose that negates the over-riding goal of the composer in having a musical arc to the composition in favour of an immediate emotional "hit" on my part.

I do this a lot too, because I don't always have the patience to sit through a whole score, I just go for the cues I know will blow me away.
  15. Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

I'm on the fence with this one so far. I like the 2-note brass theme and the dramatic strings, the latter of which are clearly Newton Howard's contribution. But most of it is pretty downbeat electronics that aren't that exciting. Maybe I'll feel different when I'm finished.
  16. So I've finished it and it did improve a bit towards the end, especially the last two tracks, the former (Corynorhinus) has that heartbreaking string elegy and the latter (Lasiurus) sounds like a homage to The Last Samurai.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

I'm on the fence with this one so far. I like the 2-note brass theme and the dramatic strings, the latter of which are clearly Newton Howard's contribution. But most of it is pretty downbeat electronics that aren't that exciting. Maybe I'll feel different when I'm finished.

I find both Bat scores by them totally underwhelming. Good films with :shrug: scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  17. The Land Before Time - James Horner

Gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've been in the mood - for I don't know how long - to just listen to single tracks (favourites) at the expense of whole scores. I suppose that negates the over-riding goal of the composer in having a musical arc to the composition in favour of an immediate emotional "hit" on my part.

I mostly listen the same way, which is why I don't contribute to this thread so often, where most people seem to post about entire scores. One gets the impression from lurking the various forums that 99% of film score fans listen to entire albums instead of select tracks, so it's a bit lonely listening this way. wink

Usually I get in a certain composer mood and I play for instance a playlist with John Powell of tracks that have been rated 3-5 stars (there are currently 202 tracks in that playlist), so the music jumps from Chicken run, to The Bourne supremacy, to Jumper, to Paycheck, to Endurance etc.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HENRY V (Patrick Doyle)

Hmm....my interest in this has really waned. It's a tiresome listen, with lots of bombast and intense "chord stop" effects, my least favourite aspect of Doyle's sound. On the sales list it goes!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!