• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2011
    And now the most played track in my entire collection... "End Credits (Film Version)" from THE MUMMY RETURNS by Alan Silvestri.

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I suppose I just don't hear it. What's so special about that cue? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's bad ass. Great rhythmic groove, superb old school styled theme, big percussion, huge choir, those 7 brass burst right at the end of the track. 2 minutes and 31 seconds of pure film music GOLD!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's bad ass. Great rhythmic groove, superb old school styled theme, big percussion, huge choir, those 7 brass burst right at the end of the track. 2 minutes and 31 seconds of pure film music GOLD!

-Erik-

I love much more this cue than the whole score, wich makes me headache!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

Thumbs down!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Thumbs down!

-Erik-

Give me van helsing instead.

When you will listen Kung Fu Panda 2?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2011 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Thumbs down!

-Erik-

Eh? dizzy Van Helsing is louder and way more obnoxious than The Mummy Returns.

Nautilus wrote

I don't have it yet.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Thumbs down!

-Erik-

Eh? dizzy Van Helsing is louder and way more obnoxious than The Mummy Returns.

Nautilus wrote

I don't have it yet.

-Erik-

Probably. I didn't say my tastes was rational. they are instintive wink
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    L'Ennemi Intime - Alexandre Desplat

This elegiac, often discordant suite for a war film is Desplat at his best. I wish it was more popular.

And i wish Tree of life sounded like this (Or Birth) wink

I still have yet to hear The Tree of Life. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nautilus wrote
    I think it's The Thin Red Line meets Benjamin Button meets Solaris.

Whoa, I just got a headrush thinking about such a movie.

Peter dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011
    The smooth jazz sounds of John Barry's BODY HEAT is keeping me company tonight! McNeely's recording with the London Symphony is delightful!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Theme from Max Dugan Returns - David Shire

One of the greatest lighthearted themes. Great opening to his "Film Music" promo, which contains a lot of delights.
  2. Never really liked that theme, actually. Oh well -- it's a broad church, this one.

NP: Pianotuner of Earthquakes (Slatski... and Duncan)

I had never really made it more than a few tracks into this, but having now done the whole journey, I now understand why one would. One of my favourite Vivaldi pieces is a key theme, but more importantly, Trevor Duncan's music from LA JETEE, *real film music from a time when that really meant something* is the climactic last few tracks of the score. I don't know why this is, and in what sense the tracks can be credited to Slatski, but it is great to hear a rapturous love theme from a different time. It's like VERTIGO, but impossibly more romantic. But there's a lot of textural murkiness to wade through to get to those tracks.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. franz_conrad wrote
    Never really liked that theme, actually. Oh well -- it's a broad church, this one.

NP: Pianotuner of Earthquakes (Slatski... and Duncan)

I had never really made it more than a few tracks into this, but having now done the whole journey, I now understand why one would. One of my favourite Vivaldi pieces is a key theme, but more importantly, Trevor Duncan's music from LA JETEE, *real film music from a time when that really meant something* is the climactic last few tracks of the score. I don't know why this is, and in what sense the tracks can be credited to Slatski, but it is great to hear a rapturous love theme from a different time. It's like VERTIGO, but impossibly more romantic. But there's a lot of textural murkiness to wade through to get to those tracks.

Was original music used in La Jetée? The Movie Database site lists "stock music" next to Duncan's name in the credits and looking through Amazon Duncan seems to have composed a lot library tracks:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos … 5&y=20
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. I guess it must have been. If so, it's the best library music that I've ever heard. Probably a bit like Umebayashi's theme for YUMEJI (which became famous when used in another film, IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE), this is a piece that probably got referenced by others because of its appearance in LA JETEE.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011 edited
    NP: Wild Things - George S. Clinton

I don't see much love for this one... not just here but throughout the entire film music community. This is a groovy, steamy score that oozes sex. Exotic Latin drums, smooth sax, cool guitar, throbbing bass, mysterious strings, and solo wordless female vocals. Excellent score!

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Wild Things - George S. Clinton

I don't see much love for this one... not just here but throughout the entire film music community. This is a groovy, steamy score that oozes sex. Exotic Latin drums, smooth sax, cool guitar, throbbing bass, mysterious strings, and solo wordless female vocals. Excellent score!

-Erik-

I didn't even know it existed until you mentioned it now!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Days of Heaven - Morricone

This is one of the most gorgeous film score albums I've ever heard (in common with the other three Malick albums, actually) but the sound quality is truly horrific. Such a shame.

Totally agree! I'd buy a remastered improved version instantly.

p.s. This is the one twinned with 'Two Mules..'?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Days of Heaven - Morricone

This is one of the most gorgeous film score albums I've ever heard (in common with the other three Malick albums, actually) but the sound quality is truly horrific. Such a shame.

Totally agree! I'd buy a remastered improved version instantly.

p.s. This is the one twinned with 'Two Mules..'?

That's the one. Two brilliant scores that have absolutely nothing in common, besides the composer.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, almost as odd as twinning John Barry's Until September with Star Crash.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, indeed. Album producers... what are they smoking?... and can I have some?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Finished listening to Children of Dune (Tyler).

It's a good album, but I do agree that it's the most unoriginal score ever. The Lifeforce theme, and even the repetitive main theme seems awfully close to the theme from Bubba Ho-Tep. Just about everything on the album seems derived from something else.

That said, I don't really mind. As long as I enjoy the music, that's all that matters, and this album kicks buttock.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    plindboe wrote

It's a good album, but I do agree that it's the most unoriginal score ever. The Lifeforce theme, and even the repetitive main theme seems awfully close to the theme from Bubba Ho-Tep. Just about everything on the album seems derived from something else.

That said, I don't really mind. As long as I enjoy the music, that's all that matters, and this album kicks buttock.

Peter smile

And Gladiator

What Lifeforce theme?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FOUR FEATHERS - James Horner

A gorgeous score, I played this yesterday too and found a new appreciation for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    KevinSmith wrote
    And Gladiator

What Lifeforce theme?

The same Lifeforce theme that John Ottman coiped in X-men 2 and that Hoenig copied in Baldur's Gate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIbhpGcRlm0

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

And Gladiator

What Lifeforce theme?

It's the rhythm not the melody. The melody comes from Deep Blue Sea.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KevinSmith wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

And Gladiator

What Lifeforce theme?

Gladiator obviously. IT's a great score by Tyler.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What makes it great?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I prefer Toto's DUNE by far.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Timmer wrote
    I prefer Toto's DUNE by far.

punk
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.