• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011
    Bregt wrote
    applause

I gaggled. biggrin

Giggled Bregt, Giggled.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Captain Blood Classic Film Scores for Errol Flynn Charles Gerhardt National Philharmonic
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011 edited
    NP: CRIMSON TIDE (Hans Zimmer)

One of my fav Zimmers and soundtracks of all time. I've been going through my HZ collection in chronological order recently, and am halfway now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    In chronological order?!... THE RAPTURE IS COMING...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    In chronological order?!... THE RAPTURE IS COMING...

-Erik-

By YEAR, you silly goose. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh I know... dizzy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. NP: Villa Rides!/El Condor - Maurice Jarre

Finally on cd. Both scores are excellent. Can't wait for the Tadlow re-recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thor wrote
    NP: CRIMSON TIDE (Hans Zimmer)

One of my fav Zimmers and soundtracks of all time. I've been going through my HZ collection in chronological order recently, and am halfway now.

One of the best Zimmer scores. One of the most boring Zimmer scores. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    IMO, it's the anti-thesis of boring. Glorious choral music, superb power anthems that continue to give me the chills after all these years, brief cameos of the Dies Irae, "Eternal Father Strong to Save", asskicking action music and just a "fat", funky sound.

CRIMSON TIDE FOREVER! punk
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I wish Crimson Tide tracks were a bit shorter. I've had to edit a couple down significantly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The album's far too long really but the highlights are pretty much the pinnacle of that "classic" Zimmer sound, I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    The album's far too long really but the highlights are pretty much the pinnacle of that "classic" Zimmer sound, I'd say.

not as long as brian tyler albums.... tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

not as long as brian tyler albums.... tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Geological eras come and go in the time it takes most Brian Tyler albums to play, but that doesn't stop Crimson Tide being too long.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Crimson Tide is a very overrated score. it has only an amazing main theme, the rest is boring. the action parts are really bad and the electronics sound very cheap. The Rock is better, but The Peacemaker is the highlight of all three scores, which have THIS zimmer sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Lars wrote
    Crimson Tide is a very overrated score. it has only an amazing main theme, the rest is boring. the action parts are really bad and the electronics sound very cheap. The Rock is better, but The Peacemaker is the highlight of all three scores, which have THIS zimmer sound.

Agree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Lars wrote

I like none of them.

Can we not talk about some good music instead? biggrin

NP : CROSSED SWORDS - Maurice Jarre

Great score, full of melodies and a wonderful end title theme.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Lars wrote

Ya gotta be kidding me! I really dislike THE PEACEMAKER. Very noisy and bombastic without really anything to hook on to. It's not even in the same league as ROCK and CRIMSON.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE ROCK (Hans Zimmer/Nick Glennie-Smith/Harry Gregson-Williams)

Another SUPERB score and alltime favourite of mine, even moreso than CRIMSON TIDE even. I've played it to death over the years, but it never ceazes to amaze me. I can perfectly understand why this hooked a new generation of film music fans, like STAR WARS did back in the day.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

Another SUPERB score and alltime favourite of mine, even moreso than CRIMSON TIDE even. I've played it to death over the years, but it never ceazes to amaze me. I can perfectly understand why this hooked a new generation of film music fans, like STAR WARS did back in the day.

Vehemently disliked it at first, grew to dislike it slightly less later on. I have to say, that style of score (tuneful, simplistic) fits the Bruckheimer action films like a glove (far more than the more recent Transformers-style does).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

Vehemently disliked it at first, grew to dislike it slightly less later on. I have to say, that style of score (tuneful, simplistic) fits the Bruckheimer action films like a glove (far more than the more recent Transformers-style does).

I wouldn't call it 'simplistic'. It pulls on prog rock, metal, instrumental electronic music and orchestral Americana and meshes it together to form a totally captivating listening experince. In the film, it's mixed loudly and hits you in the face with pronounced melodies, and - when the soundscape is dense (as it usually is in Bruckheimer productions) - funky percussive grooves. It's a classic action film (appropriately released on the feinschmecker Criterion label) and a landmark score.

If you're judging it by the criteria of traditional symphonic music, it is indeed simplistic, but that would be very wrong, IMO. That's like judging a Bob Dylan song by the criteria of trance music (or vice versa).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Thor wrote
    Lars wrote

Ya gotta be kidding me! I really dislike THE PEACEMAKER. Very noisy and bombastic without really anything to hook on to. It's not even in the same league as ROCK and CRIMSON.

The Peacemaker has the better orchestration, the better themes and the better choir parts. the action is simplistic but has rythym and themes. the action in Crimson Tide is only simplistic and the action in The Rock is equal to The Peacemaker. all three scores are bombastic and loud. for me there is no difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Lars wrote
    Thor wrote
    Lars wrote

The Peacemaker has the better orchestration, the better themes and the better choir parts. the action is simplistic but has rythym and themes. the action in Crimson Tide is only simplistic and the action in The Rock is equal to The Peacemaker. all three scores are bombastic and loud. for me there is no difference.

OK, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, then.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    no problem thor. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH - Bernard Herrmann

This is Herrmann's own re-recording, the mountains/sunrise tracks with the organ are truly mindblowing, in fact I'm going to award myself 10 kudos points for appropriate use of the word 'mindblowing' biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    If you're judging it by the criteria of traditional symphonic music, it is indeed simplistic, but that would be very wrong, IMO. That's like judging a Bob Dylan song by the criteria of trance music (or vice versa).

I'm not doing that. I think it's simplistic by any measure. It's as valid an approach to scoring a depthless action film as any other and it's very easy to argue that doing any more than it is just over-complicating things. But you'll have a hard time convincing me it's not simplistic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

I'm not doing that. I think it's simplistic by any measure. It's as valid an approach to scoring a depthless action film as any other and it's very easy to argue that doing any more than it is just over-complicating things. But you'll have a hard time convincing me it's not simplistic.

The term has too many negative connotations, and I don't think it's applicable for an action film where style is substance. It's not a profound, intellectual exercise. That's not what it is about. It's a classy, smooth, elegant action film whose strengths lies in cinematography, editing and a tight plot. And the music answers to that. Like SPEED, it's a genre-defining action movie of the 90's. 'Depth-less' and 'simplistic' are not words I would use to describe it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Tree of Life
    I really like it. At least is Desplat being Desplat and trying something else...

A great album experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    I really like it. At least is Desplat being Desplat and trying something else...

It was about time you pulled a 'Jordi'! Remember you said DeZzzzZZzplat?

That's my man.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It was about time you pulled a 'Jordi'! Remember you said DeZzzzZZzplat?

That's my man.

I play this album when I'm going to sleep. So...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

The term has too many negative connotations, and I don't think it's applicable for an action film where style is substance. It's not a profound, intellectual exercise. That's not what it is about. It's a classy, smooth, elegant action film whose strengths lies in cinematography, editing and a tight plot. And the music answers to that. Like SPEED, it's a genre-defining action movie of the 90's. 'Depth-less' and 'simplistic' are not words I would use to describe it.

Apart from your first and last sentence, you wrote exactly what I may have written about it. I didn't mean any negative connotation, by the way. I meant simplistic as in the opposite of complicated. Nothing about either film or score is complicated, nor should it be. I see no depth to either - they're both pieces of entertainment designed to provoke enjoyment, not thought. That's what a summer popcorn movie is meant to be. Or, to sum up all that in a word: simplistic.